Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Getting my truck tomorrow!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Getting my truck tomorrow!

I bought a slightly used SCX10 Jeep Rubicon the other day and it will be here tomorrow.

I've been reading through the forums and have some thoughts of what I want to do to the truck. I've already got a brand new set of Axial Ripsaws R35 tires and Axial Walkers rims. I would like to add weights to this new set of tires. How much weight do I add to each? Do I mount them on the inside of the rims before putting on the tire, or on the rim's inner lip once the tires are mounted?

I've seen in a few threads people hook up their ESC to the Castle Link. I have the Link and would like to program mine. What settings for people usually change and what do they change it to?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-25-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Getting my truck tomorrow!

the wheels you got are glue on. keep the wheels/tires that come with it on for now.your best bet would be to get some self stick tire weights and zip tie em to your axles right behind the wheels. add or subtract weight until you find a good set up. once you figure out what weight works best for you, peel the backing off em and stick em to the inside of the new wheels and glue up your tires.

been awhile since i had my AE2 hooked up to my link, it doesn't have as many setting as a castle esc. settings are gonna be up to you. i run forward/reverse and drag brake set as high as it goes. not having to double tap reverse can save you from roll overs
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:06 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

I just got my truck.

I took it for a quick spin around my basement.

I noticed the truck is very twitchy if I give it a lot of throttle. Is that because it has a tourqey motor? Also, the truck seems to lean to the left when I give it throttle. Why is this and what can I do to fix that?
Old 01-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #4

Congrats on the new truck!

Its leaning from torque most likely, same way when a drag car leaves the line you can actually see the whole frame twist!

What motor and ESC are you running? Background info is always good as to get proper feedback!
limited360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

The truck is stock. I was using a 2s lipo in it.

I will upload some pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2013, 02:15 AM   #6

The twist is due to the torque caused by the rotation of the motor. You can help get rid of it be mirroring the transmission, do a search on here for how to do it. I haven't done it yet, but it's on my to do list.

First mod I did on my truck was to replace the plastic links with metal links using Traxxas Revo rod ends and 8/32 all thread rod sleeved with aluminum tubing. Making your own you can adjust the length of them to adjust the pinion angle. I was able to adjust the front just enough to have the servo arm clear the crossmember to fully compress the front suspension.
dodge80_89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 06:49 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have read some good and bad things about flipping the transmission. I will have to look into that more.

I want to do some mods to the truck today. First I will be removing the bump stops on the shocks. I will probably lower or relocate my battery.

What do you guys suggest for battery relocation? What are some other mods I can do today?
Old 01-27-2013, 06:59 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I removed my bump stops in the shocks today. I will try the truck tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

Also, the guy I bought the truck from did a little rearranging of the electronics. He put the battery u front and the esc to the rear mounted on a piece of plexiglass.

I will post pictures tomorrow.
Old 01-27-2013, 07:06 PM   #9

Look forward to the pics.

Stock doesn't say much.. the scx10 was offered as a kit and rtr version. Might be time for a motor rebuild or replacement. Mine is twitchy- the brushes and comm are worn. Gives me a excuse to buy a lathe.
4starCstms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 07:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

What is a good brushed motor to upgrade to over the stock one?
Old 01-27-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

You can clean up your brushes with a com cleaner...or an old tooth brush with some electronics cleaner. If you don't have a com cleaner...find something that will fit in the brush slot and clean the rotor com until it shines nice and bright. I've used an old eraser and trimmed it so it would fit in the brush slot...press it on the com as you turn the motor by hand and spray some electronics cleaner in the motor.

That's old school motor tech for a brushed motor. You'll be surprised how much better your motor runs if you keep it clean. Do this process about every ten runs or so. This might clear up your jittery motor...
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:13 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Thanks for the info postclanker!
Old 01-28-2013, 05:13 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

if its a stock sealed end motor, it'll be almost impossible to get in there to clean the comm off
stanmondz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Here is my truck!

Old 01-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #15

Yeah thats the Stock, non rebuildable motor ... however you can clean it with some motor Spray ... but a new one won't be a bad thing. I think alot of people use 35 turn motor, I have a 19 turn in mine. A Google Search will get you the Ins/Outs of the more/less turns on the motors. Each has a Plus and each has A negative ... it's finding the middle ground of both Power and Speed. I had the 19 Turn so that's what I'm using.

Good Luck!
4starCstms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 04:24 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

^^^ X2 ^^^ get yourself another motor...looking back at your first posts sounds like this one is on the blink
Old 01-28-2013, 04:26 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
^^^ X2 ^^^ get yourself another motor...looking back at your first posts sounds like this one is on the blink
What is a decent brushed motor to get?

How are brushless motors in crawlers?
Old 01-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #18
I wanna be Dave

depending on the brushless of choice...they don't have the low end as good as a brushed motor...they aren't as linear...want to jump when they are given the trigger finger...even slowly. Given that, if you want to go fast and aren't so concerned with crawlability...a brushless motor will do the trick. If you want to crawl, I would suggest a Holmes or a Brood brushed motor. I have several Holmes 35t motors...love them
Old 01-28-2013, 04:39 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
depending on the brushless of choice...they don't have the low end as good as a brushed motor...they aren't as linear...want to jump when they are given the trigger finger...even slowly. Given that, if you want to go fast and aren't so concerned with crawlability...a brushless motor will do the trick. If you want to crawl, I would suggest a Holmes or a Brood brushed motor. I have several Holmes 35t motors...love them
Where can I get a Holmes motor? Since they are brushed, I will have to repair the motor after time?
Old 01-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S View Post
Where can I get a Holmes motor? Since they are brushed, I will have to repair the motor after time?
RPP Hobby | Radio Controlled Cars, Trucks, Boats, Helis, Planes, Plastic Models

Holmes Hobbies / Holmes Bikes

just keep it serviced like I mentioned before...should last a long time. The brushes will need to be replaced after a while but that's a cheap fix.

good luck man

Getting my truck tomorrow! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anything going on tomorrow?? Hi-Intentionz Texas 7 08-31-2012 10:39 PM
sl tomorrow? MDcrawler08 Maryland 3 02-16-2009 12:03 PM
if all goes well tomorrow!! smallblock500 Newbie General 2 10-08-2008 11:35 PM
Tomorrow Mav-1981 Missouri 14 06-24-2008 06:48 PM