Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Electronics help!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Electronics help!

I just got my SCX10 Jeep. Right now it has all stock electronics.

I have a few questions:

1) I have an extra Spektrum receiver sitting around. Should I use that instead of the stock radio? Are there any settings on the Spektrum that I would want to use with the truck that will help it?

2) I have read that I can hook up the stock ESC to the Castle link. I have the Link and would like to hook up my ESC. I am not sure what settings I should be changing. Any advice?

3) What is a good upgrade for a motor when I am ready to do that? Should I stay with brushed? I don't think a brushless would be good in a crawler, they are way too fast, or can I gear it down?
SerpentCT4S is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 01-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Electronics help!

Can someone help me out please?
Old 01-28-2013, 07:23 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

your spektrum probally has a 3rd channel if u ever need to use for lights a winch etc...

yes u can hookup your esc to castle link...if your running lipo turn on auto lipo if nt dont worry about it

as far as motor if u wanna run brushed Holmes or bust...brushless MMP and a 13.5 tekin

The search button does wonders too
chopan84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

What kind of spektrum radio..if it is programmable u could get more steering out of your truck by upping endpoints..stuff like that..the esc can b hooked up, but as stated bfore, not a ton of things u can change..but a nice feature nonetheless...as far as motors/type of motor depends on what kind of driving you do..if you like water and mud stay with brushed motors..many will say u can't beat brushed for low end, many will say brushless ftw...I've tried both, and like both...as long as u get the right setup/combo...the mmp/tekin 13.5 is one of the most popular combos atm....I prefer brushed in my trucks..but thats jmo...
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Thanks mjc.

I have a Spektrum DX 3.0, which is capable of changing endpoints. I will put the Spektrum receiver in the truck tomorrow.

I will also connect the Castle Link tomorrow and take a look at what I can change.

I plan on running in trails near my house and whatever else I can find. I guess brushed sounds better. I will just need to watch some videos of how to maintain them.

As far as running in water, how much of the truck can be in water in stock form? I think my wheels are vented. Is that a problem?
Old 01-28-2013, 09:06 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

In stock trim I wouldn't go past the tires..being that nothing is waterproof...and the esc I believe is ob the back of the rx box...I moved my battery up front in between the shock hoops..and made a plate above my tranny to hold my esc n rx...i put them in a small food container then I could go in deeper water..just look through some picture thread...you'll see all kinds of mounting pics..the tires being vented isn't a big deal..but your foams will get wet and deteriorate over time..u can try to tape over the holes or fill them with some kind of silicone...not sure on that..
mjc597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I installed my Spektrum receiver today. I will connect my esc to my computer tomorrow.

I've been doing a little research on bec's. I'm just curious, which one should I get?
Old 01-29-2013, 05:21 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Castle Creations BEC 10A Switching Regulator
Old 01-29-2013, 05:34 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Thanks.

What gets plugged into that and what does that plug into?
Old 01-29-2013, 06:19 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

CC BEC Wiring Diagram

this is just one way of doing it...i have also seen people power there servos directly from the bec...up to you how u want to do it

Electronics help! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lowering the body and the electronics getting the electronics in a waterproof box m1009cucv Axial SCX-10 15 10-01-2011 07:45 PM
Need Help With Electronics Mac28 Electronics 1 06-13-2011 09:34 AM
Electronics HELP!!! BCCrawlerZ Electronics 8 07-03-2009 11:00 PM
electronics ? glock35 Newbie General 9 07-01-2009 10:12 PM
Electronics??? Coors Newbie General 5 10-01-2006 10:21 AM