Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 540 silver can motor

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 07:48 PM   #1

Default 540 silver can motor

Hello all,
So I am wondering what kind of voltage can some silver can motors handle. I have a Holmes hobby brxl esc and recently bought a couple venom 20c 2100 mah 3s lipo's to run in parallel with each other. I run a saddle pack set up. On my first run with 3s I was driving my honcho for about two minutes and saw a plume of smoke come out from under the shell. So I stopped immediately and checked it out. No noticeable damage, swollen batteries fires are anything else.

So I usually run an axial 55t and got a second 55t axial and a 35t rc4wd on order from rpp. Can these motors handle 3s?

I know your thinking why not just get a Holmes motor or something like it. Well its cause I'm cheap and lazy and don't want to add another thing to fix. Plus I like to do a lot of mud runs and abuse motors.

By the way I don't side any Ill side affects from my plume of smoke ran fine for the rest of my run.

Thanks
atrain20210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: 540 silver can motor

My guess is that a stalled 27T on 3s would produce quite a bit of heat in a hurry. You could have heated up a solder point to the point of melting. Was your com lubed with some type of oil? Stalling a motor that has a oily com would produce a small plume of smoke. A really hard hit on the drage brake would probably do the same with an oily motor.

When I raced 4wd on-road in the late 90's/early 2000's there was a silver can class some of us ran for fun, and while we were only running them on 6-cell NiCd's we sure abused the heck out of them, basically full throttle for 5 minutes straight.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 02-05-2013 at 12:38 PM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #3

You are probably right about the oil heating up and burning off I just cleaned and oiled before I went out. That makes me feel better. Like I said I've never run 3s on a brushed can motor so I'm not sure of the affects of it
atrain20210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:20 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

That's most likely what it was then. I'm running my el-cheapo Axial 55T on 3s without issue. Keep it geared low (quite a bit lower than if you were running it on 2s) and run the heck out of it.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote

540 silver can motor - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD 540 Silver Can Motors... pacman_gptx Venom Creeper 6 12-17-2009 10:35 PM