Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: oil weight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #1

Default oil weight

what is a good oil weight for the stock shocks of a scx10 and how much oil is to be in them i looked in mine last night and it looks to me there is not enough in them
tmaxxman80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Depends.. I think stock is 35Wt..?

As far as oil goes, it stays down in the shock body 3/16 to 1/4" . as you fill, move the piston up an down.. at full compresion the shock body will be filled. Full extension it will be empty looking..

Oil weight depends on rig weight an driving style..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: oil weight

Watch some videos on RC shock assembly and setup.

Suspension components/setup and vehicle weight varry from one person to the next, as well as driving style. The best thing to do is gain an understanding about how it all works, and then do some experimentation with coils, oil, preload adjustment and even valving to find what suites your needs best.

I only have the Axial shocks on the front of mine and my personal setup is super soft springs, no preload, 60wt oil, stock valving and a zero-rebound setup. The rig weighs about 5lbs and is just slightly front heavy.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 02-09-2013 at 01:19 PM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Best to play around with it yourself. But if you want stiffer.. start around 50. I can tell you things get real slow by around 70.

Besides, it'll all end up leaking out eventually lol
monkeymagic9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 02:11 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Well, if you're creeping heavy oil is good, but if you are going fast the rebound will be too slow to keep up and it will be like having no suspension at all. It depends on what the reasons are for a "stiffer" suspension. If it needs to be stiffer because the truck is too heavy/bottoming out at speed/low ride height you need a stronger spring or more preload. If it needs to be stiffer because the suspension feels loose and wobbly then you need thicker oil, though either of these situations will likely require fine tuning everything to get it perfected.

Choose what you want to tune your suspension for, and go from there, because there is a big difference in the direction you go to get these trucks to handle speed compared to a slow controlled crawler suspension. Maybe you want a little of both which is what I think Axial aimed for right out of the box. It's not set for haulin' butt, and it's not optimized for super slow crawling, but it's somewhere in the middle. I personally aimed for a low speed crawl setup which is why I went with light springs and a heavier oil. It really took the bounce out that the stock setup had and provides quite a bit more low speed control with about 50/50 droop. Now, if I took this setup and tried to fly around like a desert racer, you can bet I'd end up on my lid in a hurry.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:51 PM   #6

changing oil weight wont really make shocks "stiffer" it will make the movement slower. you change the stiffness with springs, and the spead of dampening with oil weight and shock pistons.

i have been running 30w in stock shocks that were built correctly for about 3 months now. still to have a leak and it performs great in a mostly stock dingo. i do have wheel weights, iroks, and steel bumpers and skids.

i have seen many people have great luck with running their shocks dry with no oil at all.
villainous is offline   Reply With Quote

oil weight - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Weight oil?? TAT76 Axial SCX-10 0 07-22-2010 07:26 AM
Which OIL weight to use...? SeniorXJ General Crawlers 1 01-20-2009 01:37 PM
oil weight? pags General Crawlers 10 08-14-2008 08:27 PM
weight oil Bam Bam Tamiya Txt-1 and Juggernaut 3 06-23-2006 08:26 PM
Oil weight? Spdsk8er General Crawlers 7 05-22-2006 10:11 PM