Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: EZ-JK-2DR-SCX10 - Project "K.I.S.S. J.K."

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2013, 08:15 PM   #1
I wanna be Dave

Default EZ-JK-2DR-SCX10 - Project "K.I.S.S. J.K."

I recently traded a rally car for an SCX10 rolling chassis with a bug body and 2.2 TSL's. The original plan was to build it up and sell it on for a small profit... Until I looked at all the projects I have going on right now and I decided I need something running. Soon.
Following the KISS (Keep it stupid simple) model, I wanted something uncomplicated, and easy to put together.

So, I rolled on down to the LHS to pick up a few things, and got to a mock-up:

Found the JK 2dr body for $32, and picked up the Axial Poison Spyder bumper while I was there.

The SCX10 came fairly well equipped with scaler shocks, aluminum c-hubs and knuckles as well as some RC4WD sliders:

I've got a dingo body and cage coming this week, as well as some different wheels (still need tires). Dingo body is going to donate the cage and interior to this build, and the flares to another project. Wheels and tires will probably change. I'm considering some trepadors, ripsaws, or race claws, although I somewhat like the large tires on white wheels...

The intention is to get something running very soon so I can go on trail rides with a friend, and when I eventually get my other projects going, this will become a spare rig, or something I can let my brother drive if he comes out for trail rides.

I plan to get some paint on the body as soon as it warms up just a bit, and get electronics installed.

More to come soon.
monkeyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-10-2013, 08:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: EZ-JK-2DR-SCX10 - Project "K.I.S.S. J.K."

Going to be one pissed off looking JK if you stick with those 2.2 Irons. Have you decided on a color?
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

I kind of like that aggressive look for this. It's not going to be super scale, just something fun. If you look at the pictures of the JK body on Proline's website, they use 2.2 Irons in the photos. I kind of like the look, and with all the 4dr JK's around here, nice to do something just a little different.

Color: Pearl Blue with black top and fenders.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:50 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

Got some color started, also got the rear bumper installed:

The paint did get a little messed up on the driver side front fender, but I'm not going for any beauty awards with this one, and I can probably cover it up with sponsor decals.

Also got the new wheels in:

I've got some tires coming as well as the dingo cage/interior pieces so I hope to have this one done and going by next week.

I'm spraying the black today and plan to get the electronics in as well.

More to come...
Old 02-13-2013, 08:56 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

sweet wheels! Got the same one on my JK and I love it. I also built a 2 dr JK for my little brother
AKbash57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyracer View Post
I kind of like that aggressive look for this. It's not going to be super scale, just something fun. If you look at the pictures of the JK body on Proline's website, they use 2.2 Irons in the photos. I kind of like the look, and with all the 4dr JK's around here, nice to do something just a little different.

Color: Pearl Blue with black top and fenders.
Couldn't agree more. And really, the 2dr JK is a larger scale than most of the other bodies, and the 2.2 Irons look right at home on it.

It looks like everything is fitting and coming together nicely. I wonder how well the Axial JK fender flares would fit that bod.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKbash57 View Post
sweet wheels! Got the same one on my JK and I love it. I also built a 2 dr JK for my little brother
These aren't the RC4WD versions, if you look closely at the center caps, there's no DC logo. I got these from TOPCAD, and they are very well done. Machine work is excellent, and I can't wait to get the tires on them to see how they hold a bead. (I got them for less than half the RC4WD versions...)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Couldn't agree more. And really, the 2dr JK is a larger scale than most of the other bodies, and the 2.2 Irons look right at home on it.

It looks like everything is fitting and coming together nicely. I wonder how well the Axial JK fender flares would fit that bod.
I like the diameter of these tires, but not the width. Way too wide. I've got some 4.7" tires in the mail that will be going on the new wheels. (The 2.2 Flat Irons are 4.84" so the new tires will only be a little shorter.)

This body does scale to around 1:8 or 1:9 or so, which means the 4.7" scales up to a 38" tire on 15" rims. Sounds reasonable to me.

I've been staring at pics of the two bodies to see if the flares would work or not. I've come to the conclusion that the top of the flare is pretty much in the same location, but the axial flare needs some lexan below that to mount and when you cut the lexan flare off, I don't think it would leave enough lexan for the flares to mount to. I don't have a set to try it with to be sure though.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
These aren't the RC4WD versions, if you look closely at the center caps, there's no DC logo. I got these from TOPCAD, and they are very well done. Machine work is excellent, and I can't wait to get the tires on them to see how they hold a bead. (I got them for less than half the RC4WD versions...)
Link to those wheels!?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 10:38 AM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Topcad site

Got them from asiatees.com

But, it looks like they are already out of stock.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:12 PM   #10
I wanna be Dave

Black paint is on:

Looks like I got photobombed by my cat

The gloss black wont stay though, I am going to trim up the body and spray the outside with plastidip to get the sheen and texture I want from the roof and flares.
I threw on the spare from my TJ Mutt build until I get the other tires.

more soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Looks like I got photobombed by my cat

The gloss black wont stay though, I am going to trim up the body and spray the outside with plastidip to get the sheen and texture I want from the roof and flares.
I threw on the spare from my TJ Mutt build until I get the other tires.

more soon.
Kitty feet!

Looks good either way. I'm not sure what your plan is, you are going to spray the outside with a clear to take some off the gloss away? Sounds like a good idea.
Old 02-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #12
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Kitty feet!

Looks good either way. I'm not sure what your plan is, you are going to spray the outside with a clear to take some off the gloss away? Sounds like a good idea.
plan is to paint the outside with black plastidip. I actually will post a thread about how to use it on these bodies soon.
Old 02-13-2013, 03:42 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Kitty feet!

Looks good either way.
I agree with OP tires are a little too wide...maybe some Trepadors?
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:16 PM   #14
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4starCstms View Post
Looks great!! Love the stance
thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natedog View Post
I agree with OP tires are a little too wide...maybe some Trepadors?
I've got some trepadors on a different rig ( notice the spare on this one) but I think a little wider than that but narrower than the flat iron is what I'm looking for. tires are on the way, should be here tomorrow or Friday.
Old 02-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Tires came in:

These are custom tall RipSaws (4.7") made by IronWorks with dual stage foams. I also got some Proline Mashers that I am going to narrow and get mounted to a spare set of wheels as alternate tires.

Started figuring out electronics as well:

CC Sidewinder
Integy 45T
Power HD 1501MG Servo
CC BEC

Also got the interior and cage started. I am modifying these from the dingo. The cage has to be shortened by about 1/2" and the interior will be cut to fit nice and snug.

More soon.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:09 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Little update...

Got the interior and cage figured out:

For the front of the interior, I cut a "tall body mount" in half and then mounted the body mount with a set screw into the skid plate mounting hole:

For the rear part, i'm just using the stock body mounts but with a spring to apply pressure to make sure the cage is on the top of the body:

Also got the winch mounted:

I'm not sure how secure it's mounted on there, but it seems solid. I started getting the electronics installed, and trying to figure out the layout for everything. I will probably put the ESC and small (2200mAh 2S) battery on the sliders, but will get that nailed down after the interior is ready.

I'll get the interior painted and decals put on in the next few days as well as some links to replace the mismatched ones that are currently on the rig. More to come...
Old 03-13-2013, 12:36 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

Interesting idea for the interior. I like it.
urnot2brightru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:08 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I wish I had seen this earlier...
I did the same thing to my body.

Mine is pretty crooked
téosrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:47 AM   #19
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnot2brightru View Post
Interesting idea for the interior. I like it.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by téosrc View Post
I wish I had seen this earlier...
I did the same thing to my body.
(image removed for redundancy)

Mine is pretty crooked
Thanks for posting that up! I knew that I had seen at least one other JK 2dr use the dingo interior, but with the video you posted in your other thread, now I know there is at least 5 running around.

What did you to to reduce the length of the cage? That was the hardest part about using the dingo cage for me. I took 3/4" out of the length of the cage.

In the end, I want the top to be removable, but I want the cage in the right spot first.
Old 03-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

What did you to to reduce the length of the cage? That was the hardest part about using the dingo cage for me. I took 3/4" out of the length of the cage.

In the end, I want the top to be removable, but I want the cage in the right spot first.

I bent the back a little and cut about 1/2" off of the ends, then I used a drill to make holes for where I wanted the screws to go.
téosrc is offline   Reply With Quote

EZ-JK-2DR-SCX10 - Project "K.I.S.S. J.K." - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Project: "Mini Me" (SCX10 Clod/Chevy)... justinart24 1.9 Scale Rigs 69 12-10-2016 02:33 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10. Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Extended Trailer Spidernad Scale Videos! 7 04-22-2014 07:08 PM
AREA 51RC "Project Chaotic "Switch" XR10" D19er Axial XR10 105 03-10-2014 05:30 PM
Jeep WK "Grand Cherokee" SCX10 - Episode 1 "Rescuing Megan" - Full Video Spidernad Scale Videos! 4 11-12-2012 11:23 AM
jk 2dr hardbody "babe" the blue jk ROLANDROCKSHOP Axial SCX-10 15 08-22-2012 07:44 PM