Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Valreesio's SCX-10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 02:00 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Valreesio's SCX-10

So I finally was able to put my scx-10 through its paces today and it did great. I got it two weeks ago used (I think its is an original style because it still uses 27mhz radio) and last week had to order up a new ESC because the Axial AE-1 caught fire after I took it out in the snow. Now I have a castle Sidewinder SV3 (waterproof) and it is performing beautifully. I took it out today for 2 solid hours of rock crawling, hill climbing, and a little bit of mudding. It never missed a beat and I can notice a huge difference in the low speed throttle action over the ae-1...night and day.

Also while I was waiting for the Sv3 to arrive, i cut every other outer lug off my flat irons and although I would not call it a night and day difference, I was pleased with the results. I am considering cutting a tad from the center lugs also, but I cannot risk screwing them up or my wife will be more mad than me catching my esc on fire...

Just wanted to start my thread and will update it as I do more to it. I am going to try and post some pics after I go and figure out photobucket.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-15-2013, 02:16 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Valreesio's SCX-10

Lets try this out. Pics of my rig after the 2 hour run.

And I promise no poser shots...I just did not have the camera with me today or I would have real pictures of my outing.
Old 02-20-2013, 04:33 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

So I finally remember to take the camera out with me yesterday and get out to my spot. I set up the camera on a rock to get some good shots and video, push the button and my batteries go dead on me...lol. Oh well, new batteries are now installed, but it snowed about 4-6 inches last night. Grrr, I hate having to wait. So I went out and used the truck to clear the gutters of ice and slush so it would all melt faster...I noticed a big difference with these tires being wet. I could climb the curb so much easier wet than dry (not that it is hard dry, but a big difference none the less. I have been contemplating cutting the rest of the lugs from every other row or trying something different. Just every other lug on the outside has made a difference, so more is better right? We will see I guess.

Old 02-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Went to every hardware store and metal dealer I could find today and nobody had stainless steel tubing for a four link suspension, so I just opted for some brake line instead. I used 8-32 all thread all the way through with the Revo ball ends #5347. The LHS only had one packet so next week I will get the fronts done. Do you guys run shorter front links or has anyone ran same length back and front? Much of a difference? Also here is a link for an easy way to put in the ball ends for the Revo's that I found, hope it might help somebody at least. Also used some sandpaper to make the brake line look a little bit better.

Revo ball ends installed easy. - YouTube

And on to pictures of the links...

Old 02-22-2013, 03:55 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

All the snow on the ground has given me too much time today to mess with my truck. I already had every other outer lug cut off, so I went one step further and cut half of a lug off just to the inside of those missing lugs. My theory is by leaving the chevron looking lugs on that it kind of gives me some directional tread in either direction. When the snow melts a little more I will give it a test and write the results.

Old 02-22-2013, 04:21 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy

looks good , welcome to the addiction
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:46 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Oh at this point I do not think addiction is a fair statement. I have not even picked up my Xbox controller in a few weeks. An addiction you can cure, this is more like a disease, but a good one such as Congenital Analgesia... 4 Diseases We Wouldn
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

So I took her (I need to give "her" a name don't I?) out in the snow today and I believe that cutting those extra lugs made a big difference again. I cannot wait for the opportunity to see some dirt, but I noticed the difference in the snow. The only other thing I am now thinking is I want a bit more flex in the tires. I considered just removing the foam, but I think that it would be not enough support (especially during the winter). I see everyone talks about the two stage foams, but my wife will not let me spend much money, so I am thinking about star cutting the foams. More reading and thinking to do, maybe I will start with the spare and see how that does...i will let you know.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Still a bit of snow on the ground so I was bored and decided to see how much my rig could pull. I got her up to a bit over 25 pounds on the carpet but I was afraid to even push it over the fear of breaking my mostly stock drive train. The video is not impressive, but just keep on recording my exploits. I will try again after a few more upgrades...Maybe I will name her "Try Hard"...Oh and my daughter was holding the camera sideways...sorry.

SCX-10 Pulling Maximum Weight of 25 Pounds - YouTube
Old 02-28-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Snow is finally melting and I took the opportunity to take her (still looking for a name) out to a place here in Twin Falls called Dierkes Lake. Some really good crawling out there. I did not have time to do too much crawling but what I did do was awesome. The Pro Line Flat Irons stick like crazy on the rock here. I want to try some Pit Bulls (1:1 Pit Bull fan), but I cannot imagine doing much better. I have cut my Pro Lines as seen earlier in my thread and it is amazing the difference it makes. I will do some more videos in the future out in this area. On to the pictures and videos...I need to learn how to put videos together to make longer videos...

SCX-10 Rock Crawl - YouTube

SCX-10 can climb - YouTube

Old 02-28-2013, 05:06 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Wow! I love the characteristics of that rock in the center pic. I wish my backyard was full of rocks like that.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Yeah, southern Idaho was a Super Volcano millions of years ago like Yellowstone is now. We have a lot of Basalt (and its variants) in the area. Sometime I forget how cool it is here, thanks for the reminder.
Old 02-28-2013, 05:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

One more video that I had to add after looking at all these nice and pretty rigs others have. I used to think that I would like the same, and I would like a different type of body, but I cannot have something that looks that pretty...BTW my wife hates that I do things like this with my rig. She says it will look all bashed up...umm yeah.

Don't go around...go through. - YouTube
Old 02-28-2013, 07:03 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Tried to make a video montage...please let me know what you think.

SCX-10 Movie Montage - YouTube
Old 03-04-2013, 10:18 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

So I finally received a call that my revo ends came in. I had my wife pick them up and finished my front 4 link. It seems my suspension is sitting a bit lower than before, do not know why. I may think about getting some stiffer shocks or springs for the front end to compensate. I did not have time to take it out on the trail, but out in the yard it seems to have better articulation, even with losing a bit of height. I also noticed the steering servo (axial as-2) is binding on full lock to the right, but only by hand. No binding when steering by the transmitter. I have to look into it soon.

The second thing that has happened is my wife has officially named her. First she was calling her "The Mistress" because I am spending way to much time with her and then she shortened it to "LB", otherwise known as "Little Bitch". Apparently she is not a fan...lol. I may shorten it to "Lil' Bitch" or "Lil' B." so I can write it on her. I don't know, we will see. So now I have to figure out how to make some stickers. On to pictures...

Last edited by Valreesio; 03-04-2013 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:08 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

So I took Lil' B. out today and had a great time. Went to Centennial Park here in Twin Falls and found a lot of awesome crawling/trailing. This is my first real try at a good video, so watch it and let me know what you think. On to the video and pics...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8YlU26mcvc

[youtube] v=x8YlU26mcvc [/youtube]

I made it to the top...

Almost killed myself coming down.

Long way to the top...

I shut her off to take the pic for fear of her twitching forward..

Show the graffiti artists some love...

Last edited by Valreesio; 03-05-2013 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Trying to figure out how to imbed youtube videos...
Old 03-05-2013, 07:55 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Here you go =D. Tick "Use old embed code".

Love the never say die attitude, lol. Third time IS a charm, and sometimes 3=50 in my experience.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:57 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Thanks, I appreciate it.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:22 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

I have to take my steering apart because ever since I put the new links under the front, I am having a steering issue. It will steer to the left more than to the rate and I had to adjust my trim all the way and still pulling left a little bit. I am guessing that I need to reset the servo horn or something, so I will look that up later. Maybe that is why it took three tries to get through one obstacle, because I could not get the wheel to grip on that side....sounds like a good excuse to me.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #20
Rock Crawler

Lol, yeaaaaa...that's it.

Yup, take the horn off then turn everything on with trims centered, and put the horn back on straight down. You may have to adjust your drag link length to get everything perfect.