RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Front axle wobble (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/429758-front-axle-wobble.html)

SerpentCT4S 02-18-2013 04:53 PM

Front axle wobble

I was looking at my truck before and noticed my front axle wobbles front to rear. I took a closer look and noticed the Y link in the front is the problem. From the front of the truck, there is a long screw that goes through a piece on the axle and into the Y link. There seems to be some play in there. I took it off and put it back together, but it's still loose. A guy at my LHS said it's a common problem. How can I fix it and get rid of the play in there?

xigtc 02-18-2013 05:00 PM

Replace the stock piece with a metal piece would make it better & last longer. Another thing you could look into is four linking the front.

05Fronty4x 02-18-2013 05:07 PM

Re: Front axle wobble

It's the ball inserts in your rod ends and y-link mount that likely has the play. Axials rod end inserts are known to have some slop. 4-link with more precise rod ends and everything should be nice and slop free.

SerpentCT4S 02-18-2013 05:08 PM

Which piece are you talking about? The one that goes on the axle or the small ball that clicks into it?

I am buying a full titanium link conversion soon.

corkysk8 02-18-2013 05:14 PM

Use a 3mm washer and shock o-ring on both sides of the 3 link ball end to take up the slop.

05Fronty4x 02-18-2013 05:17 PM

If that's the route you go, and they use the Revo ends, you should be good to go for awhile. Wear and tear is normal for anything that's moving, but after making a set of links using the Revo ends my axles are completely free of slop. How long it remains nice and tight is another question, but that's why I bought plenty of rod ends - for those obsessed with slop, they are consumables.

SerpentCT4S 02-18-2013 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corkysk8 (Post 4187925)
Use a 3mm washer and shock o-ring on both sides of the 3 link ball end to take up the slop.

Are you referring to the plastic ball that clicks into the part on the axle?

05Fronty4x 02-18-2013 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S (Post 4187943)

Yes, they are the same one used throughout the truck in the steering/suspension links and shocks. The one in the 3 link mount probabaly isn't the only one that has developed some slop, but is the most likely since they aren't really designed to handle loads on that axis.

corkysk8 02-18-2013 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SerpentCT4S (Post 4187943)

Yes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x (Post 4187971)
Yes, they are the same one used throughout the truck in the steering/suspension links and shocks. The one in the 3 link mount probabaly isn't the only one that has developed some slop, but is the most likely since they aren't really designed to handle loads on that axis.

What he said.