Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: scx10 Problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-24-2013, 11:59 AM   #1

Default scx10 Problems

Okay I have been having a problem for a few days now with this thing. It was workign great and then I broke a chub so I ordered new 8* VP chubs, steering knuckles, HR wheel spacers and wraith 2.2 wheels and tires. It is ttwitching and acting like the transmitter batteries are dead so I went and bought new ones last night and that wasnt the problem. It seems like I can ease into the throttle but if I give it full throttle it wont move. Here is a video of what it is doing. Scx10 problem - YouTube

Last edited by djbeck88; 03-24-2013 at 12:01 PM. Reason: more
djbeck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: scx10 Problems

Is it all stock electronics? Could be connection issues
Bogncrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

looks like dirty brushes, or a bad sensor wire if its a brushless. Did you run the truck in snow or water?

edit:

watching it again I see its a stock motor, difficult to clean only the brush contacts, but if its not a connection somewhere else causing the problem you can remove the motor from the transmission and run it for a few minutes in a glass of clean water, should clean up the contacts.

Last edited by Weapon; 03-24-2013 at 12:06 PM.
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:03 PM   #4

I forgot to add that. The RX is stock the ESC is stock and I switch between a 20t 27t and 55t Axial motors
Old 03-24-2013, 12:07 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Recalibrate throttle, could help.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cFLKaA1a7fQ
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

so it does this with all three motors?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:11 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weapon View Post
looks like dirty brushes, or a bad sensor wire if its a brushless. Did you run the truck in snow or water?

edit:

watching it again I see its a stock motor, difficult to clean only the brush contacts, but if its not a connection somewhere else causing the problem you can remove the motor from the transmission and run it for a few minutes in a glass of clean water, should clean up the contacts.
Its a brand new motor. I cleaned all the brushes before putting it in the truck. Its not brushless. It has been ran in water but before I put all the new parts on it I tore it down again and greased everything and cleaned everything
Old 03-24-2013, 12:12 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nersik View Post
Recalibrate throttle, could help.

Axial - Calibrating the AE-2 ESC - YouTube
I have tried that numerous times. Thats what I thought it was

Quote:
so it does this with all three motors?
yes all three of them.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:13 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

my next step would be trying another esc, after eliminating connection issues to the motor which you seem to have done.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #10

Quote:
my next step would be trying another esc, after eliminating connection issues to the motor which you seem to have done.
I would. But nobody around here plays with em too much and I dont have a LHS. So I would have to order one. lol Abilene Tx needs a hobby store in a bad way
Old 03-24-2013, 12:21 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

definitely do all the free stuff first. check the water proof on your receiver, alcohol wash it to be sure (a wet radio might act like that). also its reaching but check the water proof on your servo as well. If you didn't water proof your stuff you will want to alcohol bath it and scrub with an old toothbrush to get rid of any crap left behind on the circuit boards.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:22 PM   #12

Quote:
definitely do all the free stuff first. check the water proof on your receiver, alcohol wash it to be sure (a wet radio might act like that). also its reaching but check the water proof on your servo as well. If you didn't water proof your stuff you will want to alcohol bath it and scrub with an old toothbrush to get rid of any crap left behind on the circuit boards.
Everything was waterproofed. What do you mean alcohol bath?
Old 03-24-2013, 12:24 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

I mean take some isopropyl pour it in a dish or bowl and put the piece in to soak. after taking it out of the plastic housing.

even if it was waterproofed you should maybe check it anyway. I use balloons to do my radio now I double bag em because they sometimes leak, I also put in a desicant pack with the radio in case it does leak a little.

Last edited by Weapon; 03-24-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

If none of that stuff works, short of replacing parts to test. I got nothin.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
I mean take some isopropyl pour it in a dish or bowl and put the piece in to soak. after taking it out of the plastic housing.

even if it was waterproofed you should maybe check it anyway. I use balloons to do my radio now I double bag em because they sometimes leak, I also put in a desicant pack with the radio in case it does leak a little.
On top of being waterrpoofed I had my esc wrapped 3 times with ballons, the RX wrapped 2 times and then di electric grease in the necks of the balloons and double zip tied. Im in the middle of cutting open the balloons now and checking everrything out. Its just weird to me how this happenedafter it sitting for a week
Old 03-24-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

that's how corrosion works though everything works fine come back a week later and bad connections everywhere. it happens to my brushed motors if I forget to clean the brush contact after a wet run. if you have any desicant packs (those little white salt pack things that come with electronics) throw one in the balloon with the radio. they work really well. esc shouldn't be ballooned though as they need to cool it should be taken apart and the board plastidipped with just the cooling fins left exposed.

good luck man hope you get it sorted. I'm off to go wreck one of mine in the snow and water now
Old 03-24-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

mine was doing something like that last week it would go forward a wee bit then just stop for no reason and sometimes it would just go into reverse after going forward a few feet. it turned out to be the receiver was faulty put a new one in and now it works like it should
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
mine was doing something like that last week it would go forward a wee bit then just stop for no reason and sometimes it would just go into reverse after going forward a few feet. it turned out to be the receiver was faulty put a new one in and now it works like it should
Thats weird. Maybe the next thing I order will be a new receiver and controller. I tore it all down and put it back together seemed to help it quite a bit but its still not right. Would a bad servo cause it? Im pretty sure my servo is on its way out the door. It seems to hang up while driving or wont even turn at all. But I guess that could be the receiver too.
Old 03-24-2013, 04:38 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Do you have a bec on your servo? I'm betting the servo is causing the problem.
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:32 PM   #20

Long shot but try a different battery. When a battery fails it actually can spike in voltage. The stock esc does not like anything more than 6 Nimh/2s lipo.
I had the exact same symptoms, my 2s was apparently shorting causing my esc to over volt. Did not like full throttle at all, would sometimes respond to low throttle then shut down.
Liv4rc is offline   Reply With Quote

scx10 Problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 problems Bronco2x84 Axial SCX-10 3 01-10-2013 05:22 PM
scx10 ax2 problems yzkeb125 Axial SCX-10 4 12-16-2012 10:00 PM
SCX10 kit problems AG74683 Newbie General 28 09-06-2011 07:28 AM
scx10 problems???? dunwoody Axial SCX-10 1 05-18-2011 05:44 PM
Axial Scx10 problems... Veilside159 Axial SCX-10 30 12-09-2009 02:12 PM