Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Newbie from Abilene Tx

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2013, 09:37 AM   #1

Cool Newbie from Abilene Tx

Hey guys! Im pretty new to the electric crawlers and scalers but so far its been fun. I come from a Nitro background. A few weeks ago I decided to pony up and sell my MGT 4.60 and buy and SCX10 RTR to get me going.

Once I had it all unpackaged, I decided to plasti dip everything and get it waterproof.

The next day, a buddy and I decided to build a little rock pile in the back yard so I didnt always have to take it somewhere to play.

Testing out the pulling capabilities

Then after watching the stock links fold in half everytime it got into a bind, I decided to build links.

I also decided to move all the electronics into project boxes and help lower the COG on it.

At the same time I lowered the COG, I cut the front bumper to give myself a little more clearance.

I also ordered HPI 1/10th crawler king shocks off of Ebay (for $20 shipped) because I am going more of a crawler route with the truck and wanted flex.

I put them on right away and realized the lift it gave the truck was way too much! So I made some lowering brackets. They arent the nicest right now but I will be cleaning them up eventually. I wanted to make sure they were going to work.

Here are some pictures of it flexing with the new shocks

Soon to come
I want a waterproof ESC.
Waterproof Lipo batteries
2.2 beadlocks and tires..
Better radio
Winch
Custom body
Axial Dig Trans
More as we go

If you guys have Ideas on anything that could be done better or what to get or anything feel free to let me know!

Last edited by djbeck88; 02-20-2013 at 11:43 AM.
djbeck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Newbie from Abilene Tx

The ae-2 ESC is fairly easy to waterproof with plati-dip and it works completely submerged. Look up on youtube. I just bought the Castle Sidewinder SV3 and it is waterproof for about $70. But, they say not to run it completely submerged, I have not tested it out yet, but I imagine it will void the warranty, so why not stick with the one you have and void the warranty by plasti-dipping it?

You might try mirroring the transmission (do a search) because I imagine that since you removed all that weight off the front you will have a bit of torque twist. I have not done it yet (maybe this weekend), but others who are more experienced are probably going to suggest the same I am guessing.

How long are the shocks that you bought and how much did you lower it by?
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:21 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valreesio View Post
The ae-2 ESC is fairly easy to waterproof with plati-dip and it works completely submerged. Look up on youtube. I just bought the Castle Sidewinder SV3 and it is waterproof for about $70. But, they say not to run it completely submerged, I have not tested it out yet, but I imagine it will void the warranty, so why not stick with the one you have and void the warranty by plasti-dipping it?

You might try mirroring the transmission (do a search) because I imagine that since you removed all that weight off the front you will have a bit of torque twist. I have not done it yet (maybe this weekend), but others who are more experienced are probably going to suggest the same I am guessing.

How long are the shocks that you bought and how much did you lower it by?
I did plasti dip everything now. Thats just eventually when they die on me. I want to be able to submerge the whole truck under and not have a worry I tried to mirror the trans once already but couldn't keep the shroud cover on.. I might have done it wrong. the torque twist isnt too terribly bad unless Im trying to pull 40 Lbs around the house on carpet lol. Those shocks measure 125 mm. and Once they were installed I was probably a good 1 1/4 lifted. I lowered it probably by 5/8's of an inch which gave me just the right comprimise of lift, flex and COG. It is a little tippy now but Im hoping with some wider 2.2s that it wont be too bad. This thing can flex now!

Heres a link to the ones I bought.

HPI 1 10 Crawler King Front Rear Shock Set Shocks | eBay
Old 02-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #4
Rock Stacker

I plasti dip my esc and would take in fully covered In water and use some kind of trailer grease for the axles and as far as a new radio I don't think u need to upgrade its a good radio does what it needs to just my 2 cent
notmanywords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:45 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by notmanywords View Post
I plasti dip my esc and would take in fully covered In water and use some kind of trailer grease for the axles and as far as a new radio I don't think u need to upgrade its a good radio does what it needs to just my 2 cent
It works for now. It does everything its suppose to do which isnt a problem now. But Ill want a good one when I go with a dig trans.
Old 02-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #6

Well I broke a front drive shaft pin on the tranny side. Si I guess it gives me an excuse to order some new ones now...
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

You most likely did the mirroring right. once it is done, you cannot use the cover any more. Remember to leave a weak link somewhere in your drive train if you upgrade your drive shafts. You do not want the weakest link to be your motor, tranny or axle shafts. In the 1:1 world, u-joints and such are usually that link, but the same holds true for RC, make the weak spot easy and cheap to fix. A 120 dollar motor or tranny is a lot harder to swallow than a 20 dollar driveshaft (IMO).
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valreesio View Post
You most likely did the mirroring right. once it is done, you cannot use the cover any more. Remember to leave a weak link somewhere in your drive train if you upgrade your drive shafts. You do not want the weakest link to be your motor, tranny or axle shafts. In the 1:1 world, u-joints and such are usually that link, but the same holds true for RC, make the weak spot easy and cheap to fix. A 120 dollar motor or tranny is a lot harder to swallow than a 20 dollar driveshaft (IMO).
I agree 100% I had a 88 Cherokee that was 4 linked I use to crawl with. But the closest place I could go regularly was 150 miles away so I sold it since it got pretty expensive to go. Ill have a weak spot somewhere thats easy. I may end up staying stock for now. I was able to make another pin out of some sturdy wire I had laying around.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #9

Well I ended up taking the longer shocks off the front and put the stock ones back on. It was just hair too tipsy and wanted to to flip on steep inclines. I gotta say its much nicer now. And with keeping the longer shocks on the rear I still have plenty of flex. I Still need to order new driveshafts because I keep breaking the homemade pins im using but I had to slow down with spending for a little bit since Im getting ready to move back home to Oregon next month.
Old 03-25-2013, 06:04 PM   #10

Well I thought I would post a little update. I ended up break a chub so I ordered 8* VP chubs and steering knuckles. I also ordered some stock wraith wheels and tires so now im running 2.2s. I also ended up cutting hte bumper more to. In order to clear the 2.2s and the higher COG poblem I ended up with some wheel spacers and widened the stance. Now she looks like a toyota with full widths under neath her. I also orderd the 20t axial motor and am waiting on a 15t pinion now. I just ordered a BEC last night hoping to be able to fix my twitching problem I have developed and I will be ordering a new servo probably this weekend since my stock one has became pretty weak.

Here is an updated picture from the weekend

In the next couple weeks, Im going to try to build a bumper and start working on an exo cage for the cab.

Newbie from Abilene Tx - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
anyone from abilene texas? weez440 Texas 7 12-16-2011 08:25 PM
Any People with in 100 radius of abilene WestTxRc Texas 1 11-17-2011 03:05 PM
Anyone Around abilene I know places WestTxRc Texas 0 10-28-2011 03:10 PM
West-Tx-R/c-Club (New In Abilene, Tx) WestTxRc Texas 0 09-08-2011 01:43 PM
Sweetwater/Abilene area Aaronb Texas 2 06-29-2010 03:22 PM