Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Rubicon Kit D: $1079 value? Let's compare!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2013, 12:31 PM   #1

Question Rubicon Kit D: $1079 value? Let's compare!

Hi guys- Need your opinions please: (pardon the **** I guess this site doesn't post the actual name of websites that aren't vendors??) Anyway, on to the question!

Does this kit make sense? **** Rubicon kit “D” for $739…OR…build my own from a kit ($329 for kit plus all electronics, etc) Let’s compare prices!

**** sells several “kits”. My question is how good of a value is this kit “D”? It comes with lots of upgrades. Below I will compare the street price of the upgrades with a Rubicon kit with no electronics. Then I would like you all to weigh in as to what you would do. Does this Kit D add up to a good purchase, or would you rather buy the Rubicon kit and build up your own? What would you put in it for the basics?

Note: I do not compete, but just drive for fun with my friends and kids. However I would like a comp ready rig if I ever get the skills down 

The first option:
**** Kit D item/ price generally listed on the web:
(1) Axial Jeep Rubicon, ax90028 $379
(1) Savok SA1283 High Torque/ High speed steering servo $99
(1) **** 7.4v, 5200mah, 35C lipo battery $60
(1) Futaba 3PMx,Digital 2.4 ghz radio $179
(4) Pitbull 1.9 scale crawling tires (or your choice?) $60
(1) **** aluminum clamping servo horn. $10
(1) **** 32p pinion and spur upgrade kit $11
(1) Tekin 35t hand wound motor $65
(1) Castle link ESC Programming kit $25
(1) Onyk 150 balancing Lipo charger $55
(1) Axial AX30550 Links upgrade kit $65
(1) Ax30426 Steering upgrade kit $20
(1) **** aluminum knuckles $22
(1) **** aluminum axle C's $23
(5) **** wheel weights $5
Total street value of parts plus Rubicon RTR $1078
**** price $739

**** says they will mix and match. So if one of these options above is totally unappealing, it can be swapped out.

The second option:
Axial Rubicon kit (when available) $329
Servo $100 budgeted;
Battery $60 same as included above
Lipo charger $55 same as included above
Specktrum DX3c or Flysky GT3C $110-130 opinions?
Tires Included/ stock
Wheels; upgrade to beadlocks $100 budget Suggestions?
Tekin fxr/pro wind 35t motor combo upgrade $130
Misc: all other small items in optin #1 $150
Total RTR + needed parts/ upgrades $1034

So on the surface, the **** kit looks like an amazing deal. But since I am a newb, I’m sure I am missing something important. What do you guys think? Better to just by the RTR and upgrade as I go? I have a slightly modified Dingo I enjoy, but need another rig for friends/ family. Let me know your thoughts please.
Dailyroost is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-22-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Couple thoughts;

$60 is way too much for a scaler lipo. You can get lipos from hobby king for scalers that are like $9.

And between the T3pmx and the Dx3c i'd get the Dx3c. I've owned both and the Dx3c is much easier to program and customize. The T3pmx is Confusing, and overkill for a scaler. Not to mention you can regularly find used $25 rx's for the Dx3c but futaba FASST rx's are like $85.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Rubicon Kit D: $1079 value? Let's compare!

Get the package.
Sell the battery/TX and get some less expensive ones and the TX you want.
Or call c.k.r.c and swap out or drop items (battery) and make your own package.
Just make sure everything in the package is what you want for your build.

I'm thinking about a similar but it is not cost effective for me to get a "packaged kit" since I already have batteries, charger, TX/RX's. I can build links with 8/32 allthread, traxxas ball-ends and 1/4 brake line.

Beadlocks - TheScaleShop has some good choices for under $100. Or you can go even less expensive and get Axial's.

Don't forget a CC or Novak BEC - 18-23. I got my off Amazon.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:10 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Also, I'd probably look into 4 channel TX in case you plan on doing additional modes like 4WS or DIG or lights or winch, etc.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:08 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Or,..maybe you'll find a Rubicon for sale in the Classifieds. I've seen some go through recently.
Then just buy whatever upgrades you need.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:36 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Heres the best tip of all, do not buy from the four letter store you are referring to. I am sure others would agree. I would suggest buying a kit and doing your own upgrades, you can get all of the items listed for much cheaper. I just got done building an scx10 JK from the chassis up using only parts found on the RCC classifieds and my own spares pile. Cost far less than the package from that joke of a store.
322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I got mine for a member here and love it has a ton of upgrades and he give me agreat deal, don't worry about buying a used one I think 99.9 percent of the guys on here are great
mtgrizzlymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 09:35 AM   #8

Thanks 322- I think that's the best advice so far. If the store sucks then I won't touch em. Plus, supporting the stores that are on this site is cool, as is buying from the LBS.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:25 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

I've bought stuff from c.k.r.c and found their customer support amazing. Their prices are on par with other shops and in a lot of cases cheaper. Remember they are a business and will need to mark up on the products when they can ( read: their own store labeled products ) Slight price variance is no reason to bash a business.

Personally I'd give them a call / email and see what they can do for you. Then I'd ask around regarding other peoples experiences with them and formulate your own oppinion off of that. Mine has been nothing but great and I'II continue to buy off of them.
flarezfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Not to mention your 'Kit' bundle you're including beadlocks, whereas the RTR option you are simply changing tires so theres $100 you can 'save' there. If I could I'd go Kit because you end up replacing a lot of that RTR stuff down the road anyways.
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:28 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarezfx View Post
I've bought stuff from c.k.r.c and found their customer support amazing. Their prices are on par with other shops and in a lot of cases cheaper. Remember they are a business and will need to mark up on the products when they can ( read: their own store labeled products ) Slight price variance is no reason to bash a business.

Personally I'd give them a call / email and see what they can do for you. Then I'd ask around regarding other peoples experiences with them and formulate your own oppinion off of that. Mine has been nothing but great and I'II continue to buy off of them.
I don't think anyone was complaining of a slight price difference. Negative feedback is usually the result of poor customer service. I have not had any bad experience with c.k.r.c., and in fact found them helpful when I called to ask about the kit mentioned above. However, certain stores are better than others, and I won't disregard the comments of other long time members here.
Old 02-25-2013, 10:50 AM   #12
Pebble Pounder

I live about an hour from ckrc. They are pretty decent and knowledgeable people when it comes down to parts for crawlers. As far as the packages go..... They are mostly designed for people just getting into the hobby. We as seasoned crawlers know that for the money you can't really go wrong with vanquish upgrades. So don't dismiss them as they will most likely work with you as far as swapping stuff out. They are still a local hobby shop as far as reno goes.

Sent from my HTC One VX using Tapatalk 2
97gmctruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailyroost View Post
I don't think anyone was complaining of a slight price difference. Negative feedback is usually the result of poor customer service. I have not had any bad experience with c.k.r.c., and in fact found them helpful when I called to ask about the kit mentioned above. However, certain stores are better than others, and I won't disregard the comments of other long time members here.
Really you would axe a shop after one fuzzy negative comment?

I did research on them before I bought and the only negative feedback I could find was complaints about high prices - hence my assumption. Not to mention "you can get all the listed items much cheaper" was used in the same paragraph. I didn't find any negative comments regarding service and their prices are on par so...

You've already made up your mind, but I'II elaborate on my experience for others to benifit. Just recently I put a large order through **** and I messed up - serious lack of sleep do to two sick little boys keeping me up. Instead of just shipping it right away like 99% of stores out there would do they actually went through the order. When they saw some small oddities they contacted me to find out if the order was correct. Not only did that save me ~$120 in shipping, but it also saved me having to wait two weeks only to find out I'd have to put in another order. When shops take that extra step to make sure a customer is happy that's a huge thumbs up for me.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #14

Flarezfx: Thanks for the positive comments. Good to know that you had a good experience with that shop. I did mention that they were very helpful on the phone. I'm sure we have all had a negative experience at even the best of stores. It happens. I will keep them in mind for future parts etc. Back to my original question though, i have decided that i need to just pick and choose my parts and build as I go. Thanks again for the good feedback. That helps.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:40 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Agree 100% mate. Good luck with your build. I expect to see a post with it's progress in the near future ;)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 322 View Post
Heres the best tip of all, do not buy from the four letter store you are referring to. that joke of a store.
Best advice by far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flarezfx View Post

You are international. Jake "bigfoot" "the cheater" Hallenbeck, whatever his name is, only cares about international. He couldn't care less about US customers.
DISTURBIN' tha PEACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 05:34 PM   #17
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by 322 View Post
Heres the best tip of all, do not buy from the four letter store you are referring to. I am sure others would agree. I would suggest buying a kit and doing your own upgrades, you can get all of the items listed for much cheaper. I just got done building an scx10 JK from the chassis up using only parts found on the RCC classifieds and my own spares pile. Cost far less than the package from that joke of a store.
Agreed and this is good advice.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 07:43 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

lol ok I did a search on his name.....ahhh it all makes sense now.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:32 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by DISTURBIN' tha PEACE View Post
Best advice by far.
You are international. Jake "bigfoot" "the cheater" Hallenbeck, whatever his name is, only cares about international. He couldn't care less about US customers.
Hey guys, thanks for the heads up. I remember hearing the same concerns about this shop over 2 years ago when I got my first SCX10. I guess some things never change!

Tags
axial, kit, rubicon, scx-10

Rubicon Kit D: $1079 value? Let's compare! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
new Rubicon unlimited kit budget build ?s bigred22 Axial SCX-10 16 03-06-2013 12:23 PM
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Kit question The-Blacksheep Axial SCX-10 1 02-18-2013 08:29 PM
dingo/cherokee or rubicon kit? mrcrzrs Axial SCX-10 12 02-08-2013 01:47 PM
New SCX10 Rubicon kit, electronics questions Francois Axial SCX-10 5 01-19-2013 12:01 PM
Rubicon kit im gunna crawl Axial SCX-10 4 01-17-2013 11:05 AM