Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: New to RC world. How does this sound for a 1st rig?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 03:06 PM   #1

Default New to RC world. How does this sound for a 1st rig?

Hello. like I said I'm new to the RC world. I've always liked them. Only had the cheap ones like from Radio Shack you get for Christmas. lol. Anyway I now want to get into this. I will be doing trail riding /crawling and just wanted some opinions from you people that know this stuff. So this is what I came up with. Are there better parts then I picked?

SCX10™ 2012 Jeep® Wrangler 1/10th Scale Electric 4WD - Kit

TT2105 Tekin FXR ESC Crawler Combo 35T Pro Motor

Futaba 3PL 3-Channel 2.4GHz FHSS w/R2004GF Receiver

Pit Bull Rock Beast 1.9 Scale Tires

Not really sure about battery and charger. Was thinking 11.1v, 2200mah, 35C/3C Lipo Pack. But not sure if that will work. Not sure on servos either. Have to research them a little more unless someone can point me in the right direction. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

Todd

toddbuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 03:24 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: New to RC world. How does this sound for a 1st rig?

Looks like a great start.

3s 2200's packs work well in a scaler and are a good balance between weight and runtime. If max wheelspeed isn't much of a concern you can stick with 2s. I would say with a steering servo it's about how much you're willing to spend. The Hitec 7954SH is a good servo, or you can get the Hobbico branded CS-170 which is basically the same servo for ~$10 less. If you are looking at spending less, then a Hitec 625MG or digital version 5645MG should get you going. The Tekin is a great ESC, but it's internal BEC won't take too kindly to running 3s with a powerful steering servo so get yourself a Castle BEC.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:56 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Knowing what I ended up adding to my rigs I would go with the Futaba 4PL. Do you plan on doing a combination of the following; Lights, BEC (yes -you need one), Winch, 4WS, DIG, etc. The RX should work fine, I have a couple of those in my rigs, or the 2104.

3s = CC BEC!

I have an Onyx dual charger. Works great. Also have another single that came as a package with my SC10RS RTR.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 04:52 PM   #4

thanks for the quick replies. I will look into the things you said. I do plan on getting lights and a winch. will post pics when I get going on this. need to save some cash as these little thing look like they can be expensive if you let them. lol
Old 02-27-2013, 05:03 PM   #5
RCC Addict

That would be a great first rig. Seriously. Great job on the research.

Few things: if you want to save some money just use the stock tires for a while. Lots of people like the trepador tire. The pitbull is better, imo, but not so much better that a "noob" to crawling would need them.

Next is invest in a servo with metal gears and 250+ oz/in of torque. (i think that's about 18kg/cm for metric)

You can find used FXR's all the time for around $65 shipped and used 7955tg servos for $70 shipped on the rcc classifieds. That will save some money.

Try 2s first. If you feel you need more sell the 2s and get some 3s and a castle creations external bec.

Welcome to the addiction.
Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Your current list as well as those suggested should get you a great crawler. To throw out some more $ saving options, I would suggest looking at a parted out Axial AE-2 ESC and a Flysky GT3B(or GT3C) radio, which can later be hacked to give more channels. Last suggestion (which nobody told me about when I first bought my rig) is to buy at least TWO batteries - you'll thank me later
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:56 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

I would recommend a airtronics mt4 for a radio cheaper and just as functional. But you have a great start.
darkmanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

your're going to have a really nice truck man and you are gathering some good information too, you should definitely run the stock tyres for a bit, also i would recommend getting some 1.9 beadlock wheels, they will really help you out in time to come.

good luck
pobrockcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:03 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

I would think about some beadlock wheels also else you gotta glue your tyres onto the kit wheels and later on you either gotta try to take them off again or buy new tyres with new wheels(which could cost a fortune )

I m running 3s 4700mah on my rig at the moment which lasts for longer trails. I also moved my battery forward like the honcho(but you can get battery forward kits also).
buddamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #10

Thanks again everyone for the help. I'm trying to get as much info before I buy so I'm not wasting money getting things and then changing them. I'm going for a scale version of my 1:1 '02 Tj. I will post pics of them in a few weeks when I save money to get stuff and start the build. I had no idea it was going to cost this much until I started looking into it. A little less then 1:1 but looks like just as much fun.
Old 03-01-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
RCC Addict

It is very fun. I've switched a few friends over from 1:1 crawling to 1:10 haha.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote

New to RC world. How does this sound for a 1st rig? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st post: Hello RCC World :-) karagos Newbie General 1 01-27-2013 08:45 AM
My 1st 1.9 comp rig landon4 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 21 02-10-2011 07:50 PM
1st place rig CronusTRD Maryland 6 02-21-2009 05:43 PM
how's this sound for a 1:6 trail rig muddeprived Newbie General 2 04-30-2007 08:03 AM
My 1st rig HOMZARACING Tamiya TLT Crawlers 8 01-21-2006 01:16 PM