Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: my wheels are stripping out

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #1

Default my wheels are stripping out

I just noticed the wheel hex hubs are stripping out my wheels bad. there stock axial beadlock 1.9's. theyve only been in use for three weeks. is this common? is there anything i can do to save them?
toyodaaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2013, 07:57 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: my wheels are stripping out

Pretty common depending on tires/power. You can mod the stock wheels for VP hubs or get aluminum wheels. Personally I can't get the Axial bead locks to even last a full pack.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Dang, what are you guys doing with these crawlers? I still have mine from 2010 and there just starting to look like there on there way out, even when I was running the Velineon 3500 brushless system, lol. :P
arctichorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:20 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana mudcat View Post
Pretty common depending on tires/power. You can mod the stock wheels for VP hubs or get aluminum wheels. Personally I can't get the Axial bead locks to even last a full pack.
VP hubs huh.. ill look into that. I guess my next set of wheels will be aluminum. I cant believe there almost shot after three weeks. I havent even finished my build.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
Dang, what are you guys doing with these crawlers? I still have mine from 2010 and there just starting to look like there on there way out, even when I was running the Velineon 3500 brushless system, lol. :P
im not running anything crazey. 1.9 pitbulls, stock 27t motor, 14 tooth pinion and a 2s lipo.
I just switched to lipo. iv got a set of 2.2 axial beadlock wheels that ive put a serious beating on over the past year but with a nimh battery. ill have to dig them out and see if they are stripping out to.
Old 02-28-2013, 04:22 AM   #6
Quarry Creeper

This may sound basic but, are your wheels tight? I stripped out a hex on my wraith with a vxl and a loose nut. Now I check them before each run, no more stripped hexes.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichorse View Post
Well I compete in TTC events, 1.9 cut boggers, 8.5lbs, 3,300kv 13.5 and 3s. Locked down slipper. Less weight, less power, more slipper and only running normal scale events I've got two years from a set.

The VP hub mod is stickied at the top of the tire/wheel section.

If you use your stock outer rings Locked Up's wheels are very affordable, love mine with MTHead delrin rings.
indiana mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 12:43 PM   #8
RCC Addict

A serrated wheel nut willl help keep the wheel from coming loose and stripping the hex. I have been using these on my SCX10 with plastic wheels.

4mm locking wheel nut - fits all Traxxas, SC10 4x4, TLR 22, SCTE [2089/ 2090] - $12.75 : JConcepts, IFMAR World Champions Proven Innovation and Design

A nice but a little lower cost option for 1.9 aluminum wheels is Motoworx Racing Wheels. I have a set of 2.2 on my Wraith and really like them.

» 1.9 Scale RC Wheels Archive - Motoworx Racing
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #9

Thanks for all the great tips. I think ill try them all. The locked up aluminum wheels look real good and affordable. ill try them on my next build. I want to try and repair these wheels whith the vp hub mod. With aluminum hubs, should I use plastic hex's so if there is an issue I strip the hex not the wheel? And as far as wheel nuts what about using a bit of medium strength lock tight?
Old 02-28-2013, 02:08 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't use loctite on something that is so often taken off/back on. Also, you really don't want to turn your axles into a gunky loctite mess from reapplying all the time (it tends to soak into places you don't really want it) and it needs to dry for ~24 hours which would be a real drag. I've never had trouble with wheel nuts that are in good condition. If they are constantly working loose on you then you need to either check them more often, or the nylon is worn out and it's time to replace them.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

either drill your wheels and install VP hubs onto them, or epoxy some hex's into your wheels. use serrated wheel nuts with good nylocks.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote

my wheels are stripping out - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
stripping finishes landtortise89 Paint and Body 0 06-01-2010 07:46 AM
stripping?? demonoid369 HPI Wheely King 13 03-15-2008 07:31 PM
Stripping the chrome off pede wheels neo Tires and Wheels 11 05-08-2006 08:39 AM
stripping anodizing off of wheels wally187 Tires and Wheels 4 01-17-2005 07:06 PM
HPI savage wheels stripping out???? cman_1500w Tires and Wheels 5 09-10-2004 06:05 PM