Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Scx10 Jeep kit vs Dingo kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #1

Default Scx10 Jeep kit vs Dingo kit

Hi all, I am new to the forum. I am planning to get the scx10 kit a while ago but never take action yet. I was excited that a new kit will come out with the jeep body and it look very cool. However when I checked it out at tower hobby, I found the need Jeep kit is $329 which the Dingo is only $249 which is a pretty big different.
I found people asked about the different about the RTR model and said there is not much different but only the body and the tires. But of course, there are not much different on the price also between the new Jeep RTR and the Honcho.
However, it's not the case of the kits. I looked into Axiel's web site and try to find out the different and found there are some new upgrades, e.g. Axles, better shocks... But my question is, does the upgrade worth that much price different?
I am new to this. If someone tell me "yes", I will wait and go with the new Jeep. If most of you tell me that its a dumb thing to get the new Jeep kit, it just a rip off compare to the Dingo it. I may just go with the Dingo kit and do some upgrade later. Thanks!
Erichiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 02-28-2013, 08:10 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Scx10 Jeep kit vs Dingo kit

There really isn't much of a difference between the 2 kits. The Jeep's wheelbase is about 1 inch longer, different tires, and the shocks for all intensive purposes are basically the same. Mechanically they are the same (transmission, chassis, steering, etc...). Is the Jeep kit worth more? Yes I think so just because the body offers more detail than the Dingo, but is it $80 better? That's for the potential buyer to decide. If you want a Jeep then you've got to just cough up the extra dough for it. If you are setting preference aside and want to know which is the better deal, then the Dingo is by far IMO when you consider $80 is nearly 1/3 of it's price for almost no difference besides it's plain exterior.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #3
RCC Addict

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The question of Jeep all depends on what you like best and what you want to do with you SCX10. If you are going to use a different body than in the kit then the Dingo makes more sense.

The other factor is how much you have to invest in the electronics. Depending on the quality of the electronics it could run another $300.00.

Of course since I drive a Jeep, I am going to tell you to buy the Jeep.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 09:32 PM   #4

Hey there. As to the Axial Jeep Rubicon price. Guess all that licensing stuff costs money. Havn't seen any "dingos" on the road. Could always put proline Jeep body on Axial Honcho. I really like the Rubicon as well esp the hard top and ability to scale paint it. Come to think of it you could go with the Dingo then ad a jeep Jk style body later. Good luck with your decision. They're all cool.
golddigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I like the extra inch that the honcho and rubicon add. This will be a preference, but if you are going to go with a longer wheelbase (only a inch but still), then go with the jeep/honcho instead. You could add that inch with new links, but you might as well get what you want now. It really comes down to just like life...Get what is going to make you happy, and then you will be happy.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 11:23 PM   #6

Thanks for all your inputs. I did think about the licensing cost about the Jeep. But than why the logic doesn't apply to the RTR model. The Jeep RTR is only $25 different with the Honcho. Except if some of you could tell me that the RTR's body is different than the Kit's body (in fact, I understand the Kit have a extra removable hardtop). Well, honestly, at the end, I may still go with the new Jeep kit. But like 05Fronty4x said, I really dull that if the Jeep body really make that 1/3 of the price different. I just feel a little bitter to spent my hard working money for just because of a nicer body....(which I may able to spend half the money to get a nice Defender body in ebay...)
I hope someone at Axial could convince me that the Icon Vehicle Dynamics Aluminum Shocks, licensed Maxxis Trepador tires, The WB8 Wild Boar driveshafts, removable top and that extra inch wheel base are all well worth that $80 over the older Dingo....
Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM   #7

Don't forget the honcho RTR also has the simple LED controller aswell. But it dosn't come with the Maxxis tires, which 90% of Jeep kit drivers say they like because they are good and soft.

I bought the Jeep kit, I love it. I would recommend doing the Axial aluminum steering linkage upgrade sooner then later though.
JeepExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:29 PM   #8
Pebble Pounder

If you check the price if the jeep jk body + hardtop then you almost have your 80dollars. Then adding the poison spyder fenders front+rear, poison spyder front&rear bumper plus the extra wheel+tyre on the back...thats more than 80dollars right there.

I bought the RTR as i didnt wanna wait for the kit.personally i dont like the box shape of the dingo at all.so from the beginning it was clear jeep or honcho...since i got my jeep, i bought new alloy wheels, pitbull rockbeast tyres, 100mm kings shocks, 35t motor, steering kit upgrade, servo,light bar, hardtop...so thats all extra cash over time.

By the end of the day, the choice is yours. If you dont have the electronics yet, buy the rtr and upgrade as you go along. The kit is nice but dont forget all the extras you ll need to run that kit.
buddamonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Yeah, don't forget the bumpers and swing out.
Statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #10

Yes, I understand all the nice think about the Jeep body over the Dingo body. (In fact, that's why I want to go for the Jeep Kit). I know all the good think about the Jeep body over the Dingo body. But I don't understand, if the Jeep body worth so much more than the Dingo body, why the same logic don't apply to the RTR version? The Jeep RTR only about $25 over the Honcho. Its about 7% of price different between the 2 RTR version. But the Kit version is more than 30% different! I don't see the Honcho is such a special body compare with Dingo. That's why I start the question here.
Since I already have a good radio and couple receiver sitting around. I also got a rock crawling brushless system ready. The only thing is a new servo that I need to buy. I also like to build things from ground up. For sure I will get the Kit.
In fact, this question bug me so well, I also sent a email to Axial's customer service today. I will see what they say and let you guys know.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:07 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erichiu View Post
Yes, I understand all the nice think about the Jeep body over the Dingo body. (In fact, that's why I want to go for the Jeep Kit). I know all the good think about the Jeep body over the Dingo body. But I don't understand, if the Jeep body worth so much more than the Dingo body, why the same logic don't apply to the RTR version? The Jeep RTR only about $25 over the Honcho. Its about 7% of price different between the 2 RTR version. But the Kit version is more than 30% different! I don't see the Honcho is such a special body compare with Dingo. That's why I start the question here.
Since I already have a good radio and couple receiver sitting around. I also got a rock crawling brushless system ready. The only thing is a new servo that I need to buy. I also like to build things from ground up. For sure I will get the Kit.
In fact, this question bug me so well, I also sent a email to Axial's customer service today. I will see what they say and let you guys know.
Who knows. Get what you can afford.
Statik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:51 AM   #12

Join the tower savers club for $9.99, then you'll get $50 off. Saving $40 in the end. Paying $290 shipped. Stop thinking about it and get the Jeep while it's in stock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
dglewis89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #13

Shocks, links, tires, wheels, bodies are all different. The rest is the same.

IMO worth the extra bux as I hate the Dingo body and just love the Jeep body but that's your call.
slitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:57 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by dglewis89 View Post
Join the tower savers club for $9.99, then you'll get $50 off. Saving $40 in the end. Paying $290 shipped. Stop thinking about it and get the Jeep while it's in stock.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
+ one

I ordered mine this morning. Gotta love the supersaver club at tower!
jim_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim_w View Post
+ one

I ordered mine this morning. Gotta love the supersaver club at tower!
I used a 40$ off 300 or more coupon code and mine was shipped for 299.99 Should receive it monday!

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2
mrkdubaya is offline   Reply With Quote

Scx10 Jeep kit vs Dingo kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wraith rtr/builder kit , ax10 ridgecrest or scx10 kit hocho/dingo xC Pirates Newbie General 9 06-09-2012 06:54 AM
axial SCX10 dingo kit RCGecko General Scale Talk 5 05-23-2012 01:15 PM
Need some advice got my SCX10 Dingo kit natskiboy Axial SCX-10 105 05-07-2012 05:47 AM