Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Shock question?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Shock question?

O.K... I posted this same question in the general crawler section and got a couple of decent answers and a ..... I was looking for new shocks for my granddaughters Honcho.Stock shocks leaked in the box it came in. So I researched shocks in this section. Looks like guys are running losi mini springs on Traxxas big bores with jeepin dougs spring cups. So that's what I bought. Not really happy with the way the springs fit on the shocks. Is this a legit setup? (see picture). The big bores are part#4962. They came with red springs which seem kind of stiff. I guess my question is what is a good spring (or springs) to run with this shock to get good smooth performance. Thanks
Attached Images

Last edited by wraithfreak; 03-02-2013 at 02:55 PM. Reason: add a word
wraithfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-01-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Will the stock SCX10 springs fit the Big Bores. Maybe try those. Or look up the stock rates and see if Traxxas sells a similar rate. I know Losi springs I believe are shorter but they sell a ton of rates. I run Prolines and Axial Aluminum body shocks which are both ok imo.
MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 03:18 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Location: You will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy
Default Re: Shock question?

i seen this post and i ordered the parts to do this to my scaler minus the aluminum shock bodys

Del Monte's XR10 Build #1
DeweyCJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:36 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You mention "smooth performance". For that I'd run a full length spring. With a setup like you have there, the spring rate will be highly progressive meaning it gets a lot stiffer as you compress since you would be using the entire compression range of the spring (spring length = travel length). A long spring will have more of a linear rate since you will be using much less of it's available compression distance (spring length > travel length). The higher the ratio of spring length to travel length, the more linear and "smooth" it should be.

What I did was take Losi 4" shocks with long 2.75" springs and angled them until I had way too much up travel then used RC fuel tubing as a bumpstop. The full range of travel doesn't use a very wide range of actual shock travel, keeping the spring rate fairly linear and soft. Some may think a setup like this isn't "sprung" enough and flexes too easily, but I like it. Even if it's flexing a bit more than it needs to, the rig stays nice and planted. Even at near full flex, the side that's fully extended has good weight on it right up to the point that it runs out of travel and lifts off the ground. In the end it's up too you. My goal was to set my rig up so that it could easily utilize full range of travel to keep as much weight on the 4 tires as possible for good traction and stability, I didn't want a tire to lift off the ground unless I had truely run out of travel.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Shock project complete.....Then I read 05Fronty4x's message. Makes sense. Well since I already have them on I'm going to give them a try and then try the long springs. Thanks for the help!!!!
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Those shocks aren't threaded so the long spring setup probably isn't going to work very well without the ability to tune your preload.

On another note, that's looking great! Let's see a pic with the body and tires on. I bet the height with those shocks and width with the wheel spacers gives that thing a mean stance.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:13 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

They came with a bunch of plastic spacers to adjust the preload. I tried the setup above (small springs). I'm switching to long springs now to see which I prefer. Already leaning toward long springs after reading your post 05Fronty4x. I'll post a pic with the body when I finish changing the shocks.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:41 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I'm going to stick with the long springs. I still need to do some trimming on the body (wheel rub).
Attached Images

Old 03-02-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Yup, that's one mean honcho. One thing I notice is that you can put the tie rod on top of the knuckles for more clearance and a more parallel drag link. You can also insert the screws from the bottom so any extra threads are sticking though the top.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

THANKS...This is not the first time you have helped me with problems. Your advice is always excellent and very well explained (with no smart ass comments). Thanks for the tie rod suggestion. I will give it a try. You are truly an asset to this site. Thanks, 05Fronty4x from me and my granddaughter. (It's her Honcho)
Old 03-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

You two are very welcome, and I appreciate the kind words. I hope you have your granddaughter turning the wrenches, hehe. One thing is for sure, she's got a really cool grandpa.
Old 03-03-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

I noticed in this picture your C-Hubs I believe are on the wrong side. Switch them to the other side and it will make a huge difference in the steering. You'll notice the knuckle will stand straight up vers leaning forward as you have it.

MaxxPain is offline   Reply With Quote

Shock question? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Shock question James003 Axial XR10 4 05-02-2011 02:58 PM
shock question crawlerknownothing Losi Micro-Rock Crawler 4 02-10-2011 09:59 AM
Shock question niterdr Axial AX-10 Scorpion 1 10-28-2008 08:25 AM
shock question TeamDeweyRacing Newbie General 3 08-08-2007 04:56 PM
shock question Mr Badwrench Tamiya TLT Crawlers 2 12-07-2006 08:06 AM