Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Just got my honcho!!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2013, 06:45 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Just got my honcho!!!!

sorry, really excited. just got it last night, did a quick run outside then went to bed. did the same today and while its SLOW (its ok, its supposed to be) it crawls so much better than the wraith out of the box. i really think it needs 2.2 tires on it, but ill wait a bit before i do that. now i want to make it waterproof as possible so i wont have to worry about it getting wet, i think i want an interior in there (might do that first) since i want to make this more of a scaler than anything ive got so far.

any "must do" things? any free upgrades out there? i know i need to move the bumper up somehow...
REV666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2013, 08:13 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Congrats on the rig. Enjoy it as stock then determine upgrades. Remember these are supposed to be scale representations. =) not a huge fan of 2.2s, due to scale factor but with a bigger tire obstacles sure are easier. Pics?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:38 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Just got my honcho!!!!

thanks, i am loving it! the stock servo seems (IMO) to be better than the one in the wraith and is a blast to drive around. its a bit wider than i thought (body wise) and shorter (bed) than i imagined. but overall, its my favorite so far. now i need to come up with a second battery so i can run the wraith or the honcho without having to use one battery for both.
Old 03-15-2013, 02:41 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

ok, so i tried mocking up the wraith wheels and yeah, theyre way to big. so im trying to decide on a few "scale" moves, and need some opinions

first, i see that proline makes a floor pan/wheel well thing. worth getting? makes it look nice....

second, would a CMS be a good option? i see several available (servo facing down and normal) and dunno if its worth doing.
Old 03-15-2013, 03:09 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

also, im noticing some contact in the suspension and driveline....

first, when the front axle is flexed to either side, the servo mounts can hit the chassis rails, as well as the upper/lower links touching and the drive shaft hitting the upper links....

i may just be being paranoid...

and how much effort should i take to waterproof this thing? is it basically a "swimmer" out of the box?
Old 03-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Are you using Lipo batterys? Get a bit more speed and run time. I haven't seen the stock tires go but Pitbulls are an amazing upgrade. Mirroring the trans can help with torque twist but again I built mine mirrored so not sure what the improvment over stock is. The tips and tricks thread is full of good stuff. Getting the bump stops out of the shocks'll help with flex. It's all in that thread. Enjoy an amazing trail truck/rock crawler!
4WDwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by REV666 View Post
also, im noticing some contact in the suspension and driveline....

first, when the front axle is flexed to either side, the servo mounts can hit the chassis rails, as well as the upper/lower links touching and the drive shaft hitting the upper links....

i may just be being paranoid...

and how much effort should i take to waterproof this thing? is it basically a "swimmer" out of the box?
Quote:
Originally Posted by REV666 View Post
ok, so i tried mocking up the wraith wheels and yeah, theyre way to big. so im trying to decide on a few "scale" moves, and need some opinions

first, i see that proline makes a floor pan/wheel well thing. worth getting? makes it look nice....

second, would a CMS be a good option? i see several available (servo facing down and normal) and dunno if its worth doing.
Yeah some people trim the servo mounts or like you mentioned, go with a CMS setup. I have CMS on all 4 of my rigs and love the look and it does clean up the front axle some. However I've read that having it mounted on your axle like stock performs better, but I havent noticed lol.

People do like that floor liner since it adds places for you to mount things.

Are you running plastic or metal links?
Shinjari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4WDwannabe View Post
Are you using Lipo batterys? Get a bit more speed and run time. I haven't seen the stock tires go but Pitbulls are an amazing upgrade. Mirroring the trans can help with torque twist but again I built mine mirrored so not sure what the improvment over stock is. The tips and tricks thread is full of good stuff. Getting the bump stops out of the shocks'll help with flex. It's all in that thread. Enjoy an amazing trail truck/rock crawler!
yeah, 2s 5400 lipo. no issues with speed or run times yet (wraith took 3 days to kill the battery) TT isnt so bad, noticeable but still is there. ive read the T&T threads, good stuff. i havent noticed the shocks hitting the bump stops yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinjari View Post
Yeah some people trim the servo mounts or like you mentioned, go with a CMS setup. I have CMS on all 4 of my rigs and love the look and it does clean up the front axle some. However I've read that having it mounted on your axle like stock performs better, but I havent noticed lol.

People do like that floor liner since it adds places for you to mount things.

Are you running plastic or metal links?
so far, all stock links.ive heard too the panhard with the CMS is the issue with the performance over the 4 link.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Finally got it huh? Can't wait to see it out. I have a honcho as well well. Getting ready to mirror the trans and 4 link the front. I also put proline swampers on it. Its a great rig out of the box.
msmith0322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

oh yeah, im STOKED. i think im going to get some 1.9 steelies and some rock beasts....
Old 03-17-2013, 11:27 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

ok, so i got some "upgrades" on the way. alu shock towers and braces, front bumper mounts (for aftermarket ones and to be able to raise the stocker, which i like so far aside from it getting in the way), some "scale" accs, and a few wraith ALU braces and such. YAY. figure ill make a few things stronger and see what happens next.

i am happy to report that, currently owning both the wraith and the honcho, i can CLEARLY see a difference. when i first got the wraith (it came first) i thought "this could be a crawler!" but it feels like it lives up to its name as a rock racer at heart. cant climb for shit but it can fly over the bumps and rocks. now the honcho, NOT fast at all but i feel like it can crawl and climb a bit better, but the wraith has a better (bigger) stance and it shows.

anyway, after fixing the "broken trans" (read: loose motor gear) i took it outside tonight.

while i have you, where are you guys mounting your top shock mounts? stock is all the way back, i just rode around all the way to the middle. no idea a difference.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

Hey enjoy it as I have both and my honcho crawls much better than wraith still pretty stock fir exception on alum link set up but it crawks stone mnt in ga like a beast wraith brooke diwn on me again
crawlingfolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:33 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

hey, so tire questions.

i got a set of mayhem 7s off a member here that has rc4wd flashpoints on em that i was going to use on my MRC but they seemed too big for the mrc and slapped them onto the honcho just for shits. well, i think they look a little small (and physically, they are) for the truck. also, since the wheels and tires are nonvented the tires were a bit stiff and i pulled the foams out of the fronts. still not a lot of standing sag in the tire, but they are more pliable now. good to run like that or should i get foams and vent the wheels?

Last edited by REV666; 03-25-2013 at 01:58 PM.
Old 03-25-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

you can either run them like you have them or with foams. it's really up to your preference and how you want to tune the rig. might be great now, but if you add weight you might be looking for foams. for venting, you can drill a hole(s) in the wheels (which can be plugged with a screw, or not) or puncture a hole in your tires with a small leather punch.

since the flashpoints are a "military" tire with a short reinforced sidewall, I would expect them to be fairly stiff compared to most other tires. most new tires will need to be broken in before you see their true "softness".
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 01:58 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

ah i didnt think about the military aspect of them....they came with the wheels so no biggie. they do seem to work well tho.

i did take the foams out and there is 3 extra oz in each front wheel. still no sag, lol. but you can def tell the tread is a lot softer than the sides.

ill run this as is and see what happens. cant bee too bad, i still have the stockers.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:25 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Keeping the sidewall stiff can help you a lot when side hilling. That way your tire won't fold over and lose all traction basically.

But if you want more sidewall flex take the tires off. Then turn them inside out. And give them a sanding with sandpaper on the sidewall. Thin the material out a bit.

I'm a fan of air in tires instead of foam. But i can't do it here in utah because it can be 20 degrees one week and 80 the next. The air expands and changes too much in a sealed tire they start to look like balloons. So foams with vented wheels are the most common setup. Works well but make sure you remove water out of your foams after playing in water or the foams will break down.. And stink. Literally. Moldy..

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by heinie_21; 03-27-2013 at 01:54 PM.
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Just got my honcho!!!! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New guy, SCX10 Honcho RTR, a few questions about my Honcho dan188 Axial SCX-10 2 10-04-2013 09:43 AM
Jeep Honcho not Axial Honcho frankenstunk 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 07-30-2012 08:17 PM
Honcho Body on an AX10 = Honcho Scrawler Sno Dawg Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 04-05-2011 06:13 AM