Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Question regarding the Rubicon kit Icon shocks...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 07:17 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Question regarding the Rubicon kit Icon shocks...

ref: Rubicon kit Icon shocks.

So I've assembled the shocks. Everything appeared to go very smoothly. Compressing the shaft without any spring results in a relatively neutral response when released. I get a very slight amounnt of shaft pull in (compression of about 1-2 mm) which is expected on such a small shock.

From what it looks like I have tightened the ball end down on the shaft thread as far as it will go. There is still maybe 4mm of exposed thread. Which gets hidden by the bumpstop (I'II be removing them later once I get the shocks working in their default state)

Performance feels pretty good. The issue I'm having is the springs appear to be too short. By too short I mean if I'm running zero preload and compress/release the shock it looks like the shock returns to full extension. However if I grab the lower ball end and pull it I get a few more mm of extension and the springs then become unseated. Not good. The only workaround I can see is by adding some preload to the shock. Once I add a few mm of preload the shocks work properly and I get full extension.

To me this sounds odd. I shouldn't have to run preload to get a shock to return to unweighted extension. Looking at other peoples build threads it looks like nobody is running preload with these shocks. Sorry to ramble...a couple of questions to help me problem solve this.

- has anyone else noticed this?
- should I be seeing thread at the ball end of the shaft or did I use a wrong part ?
- is the shock length specified in the manual from eye to eye correct?

Thanks for you help.
flarezfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-17-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: Question regarding the Rubicon kit Icon shocks...

The shock link specified in the manual is incorrect, i believe it was benders thread who specified that
Dtempleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 08:47 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Thanks Dtempleton, I'II have to do some more digging. I've been having a lot of fun building this kit, but man it has been trying at times - My kit had two left sided chassis rails and although Axial is sending me a replacement it'll be weeks before I get the part. Argh. Kind of a kick in the bleeper when you fork out $150 for expidited shipping only to find out the kit has the incorrect pieces...ah the joys of living in Australia. Anyways thanks for the heads up I'II try and track down some information.

If anyone else has any leads on this it would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Good info to know I am just starting my build in the next day. Post pictures of your beast when your done
redneckrampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 03:06 AM   #5

Glad you got the dodgy kit that was sent to Aust4. , I started mine Saturday night and got it to rolling stage Sunday.

Cheers Red
Red04VXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
Rock Stacker

@Red; damn you! yeah I was pretty bummed. What was even worse was I stayed up until 2am trying to get it built for the weekend. Glad it isn't a common issue. I got the rest of the kit built up with no problems. So I'm just waiting on my right hand side chassis rail.

Ok so Icon suspension. I did some digging today and found that the shock should be just under 90mm from eye to eye. Measured mine and surprise surprise they were slightly longer ~92mm. I ended up clamping down on the shock shaft and really cranking it in. Tbh I was really surprised how difficult it was to seat the ball end onto the shock shaft - I didn't bear down on it before because I didn't want to strip the plastic. Now the shocks are performing perfect.

So to recap; Parts specified in the manual are good. Just a noob error.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

The only issue I've had so far is the upper front link screw hitting the motor can. What colour you painting yours?

Cheers Red
Red04VXE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 02:04 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Well my original plan was to paint it exactly like the Mopar Blue Crush truck... but I don't think I'll do that now. My wife said that was a lame colour for such an expensive toy. So right now I'm thinking do I want to be original or do I just pick the colour I like a be done with it. I'II probably go with green or orange.

How about you?

Last edited by flarezfx; 03-18-2013 at 04:36 PM.

Question regarding the Rubicon kit Icon shocks... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Travis's Rubicon kit travis4380 Axial SCX-10 17 07-12-2015 08:10 PM
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Kit question The-Blacksheep Axial SCX-10 1 02-18-2013 08:29 PM
does axial sell the icon shocks separate from the jk kit yet? discgolferlee General Crawlers 2 02-14-2013 07:52 PM
Rubicon kit im gunna crawl Axial SCX-10 4 01-17-2013 11:05 AM