Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Og scx10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 08:53 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Og scx10

Quick little back story, I had beat myself up debating over getting a Wraith or a SCX10, ultimately deciding on the Wraith. While I enjoy the Wraith, part of me kept saying, "Should've got the SCX10."

So my friend came across an SCX10 kit that was 95% built, but never ran, and passed it on to me, giving me the option to make payments. Thing is though, like most people, I wanted the new Rubicon, and this is actually the original Kustom truck version. While I wish I had bumpers, rock guards, and fender flares, I wouldn't have been able to afford one otherwise, so at least I got my foot in the door.

Eventually I'd want to hook it up, but since I haven't even paid for it yet, for now I had to put it together with what I had around. I used a HPI 2.4Ghz radio, a HitTec 5645 servo. An old first generation Sidewinder ESC, and the motor was originally a 65 turn Integy, but the 5 year old motor started smoking, so I took the armature, and put it in a Trinity Speed Gems can. Not only did this give me a working motor, but the larger magnets actually give me smoother creepy crawly control. Since I'm running a slower motor, I went with a taller 21/87 pinion/spur combo.

The original owner had set it up with the rear battery position, but I wanted the battery in the front. I initially set it up per the manual's instructions, but didn't like how high it sat, and the front end felt tippy. So I made a Lexan cover for the radio box, and shortened the post by about a half inch. This got the battery tray as low as it can go without the servo hitting it. I barely clears by less than a millimeter. I moved the ESC to the rear which I felt helped with the weight distribution.

My plan is to get a Jeep Comanche body for it, but in the meantime I'm stuck with the stock body. This body is some kind of strange mutt that seems to be mostly based off a Ford, but also seems to have some Chevy, Studebaker, and fire engine thrown in there. Once I got a paint job on it, I started to like it more. A little Spaz Stix Mirror Chrome can really make a body, and I used some Sea Foam Green paint I had mixed up for another body.

For a finishing touch I used Contact paper to give a bed some wood grain. I'm debating with myself over what I'm going to do with the green beadlocks.

So there you have it. I had forgot that they even made these SCX10s, so I thought someone else might appreciate the flashback.
crazydave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Og scx10

Looks good man I like the color its definately different! Also diggin the wood in the bed, Good lookin truck!
KC_crawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 09:55 AM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Nice...strip that green off the beadlock rings if they are aluminum raw would look better
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 07:28 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Lookn good crazydave !! Thats why you paint for rcdriver magizine !!!
azwheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:51 PM   #5

Are you planning on sealing the contact paper or is it's adhesive strong enough on its own to withstand the elements?
d1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:55 PM   #6
Pebble Pounder

Thanks, I know the color is not going to be everyone's taste, but I dig it. Makes me think of Fender guitars, and old school hot rods.

I'm trying to decide if I want to polish a mirror finish on the bead locks, or just paint them black. Either way I got to strip them first, so I guess I should get that out of the way.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:05 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1981 View Post
Are you planning on sealing the contact paper or is it's adhesive strong enough on its own to withstand the elements?
Well, I'll tell ya, it's sticking better than the grill and headlight decals that keep popping up.

I've done this to other bodies, and while the glue is not as strong as most decals, it does bond more than adequately, and doesn't come off when I wash my bodies.
Old 03-24-2013, 12:17 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Well, I'll tell ya, it's sticking better than the grill and headlight decals that keep popping up.

I've done this to other bodies, and while the glue is not as strong as most decals, it does bond more than adequately, and doesn't come off when I wash my bodies.
Is your wife still mad that u stole her dresser draw liners
Old 03-24-2013, 10:47 AM   #9

Cool Re: Og scx10

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazydave View Post
Quick little back story, I had beat myself up debating over getting a Wraith or a SCX10, ultimately deciding on the Wraith. While I enjoy the Wraith, part of me kept saying, "Should've got the SCX10."

So my friend came across an SCX10 kit that was 95% built, but never ran, and passed it on to me, giving me the option to make payments. Thing is though, like most people, I wanted the new Rubicon, and this is actually the original Kustom truck version. While I wish I had bumpers, rock guards, and fender flares, I wouldn't have been able to afford one otherwise, so at least I got my foot in the door.

im glad i can hook a brother up ...it looks beautiful
mannys97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 11:31 AM   #10

Lovin the color - friend had a Fender Telecaster that color !
kansei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Just a little update. I've taken it on a couple outings, and while it looked good going down the trail, the body sounded like a trash can getting snagged up on the rocks, which really annoyed me.

I wanted some kind of bumpers, and this past weekend I picked up a set of used Honcho bumpers off one of the guys. The front bumper fits the shape of the body perfect, but I don't know if the style is right for this truck. No matter though, as I plan to replace the body soon. It gives me a lot more clearance, as the front bumper on the body hung down a half inch below the chassis. It snagged up on everything, and was about to break off when I cut it off.

The rear bumper is no where near close to fitting, but at least it protects the body.

I really just wanted the bumpers, but as an added bonus, lights!

After doing some comparisons it would seem that this one is set up with the same short wheel base as the Dingo. The Comanche body I was looking at is for the longer wheelbase that the Honcho has. As is all of Proline's CGR bodies. Right now I'm looking at HPI's Bronco body, but I'm open to suggestions, if anyone knows of a body that fits the short wheel base well.
Old 04-23-2013, 10:12 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I love that color combo. looks even better with the rings blacked out.
not crazy about that bumper though.
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

the proline international scout, k-5 blazer,bronco,all of them use the same roll cage set, and are similar body styles,I have the same kit and two of those old chevy bodies,one painted, one untrimmed, but I converted mine to a long wheel base to run a honcho body.

Last edited by kgb424; 04-23-2013 at 10:21 PM.
kgb424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 10:57 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Looks good !! But you better tuck that big lip in bubba lol!
Old 04-25-2013, 11:27 PM   #15
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Seems like a waste to do up a body so nice all the while planning from the start to replace it... Anyhow, I love that body.. Mine is still going strong 4 years later.

Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2013, 03:18 PM   #16
Pebble Pounder

Sorry I haven't kept this updated. Been out crawling almost every week, and I'm always at the track every Saturday night, so I haven't had much free time to post, but a lot has happened to this truck.

Starting with the performance goodies, I put in a Novak 35 turn, and got a smaller, punchier 2100Mah 3S battery. I put in a HiTec 5955TG servo, and the Castle BEC. So the electronics are dialed in pretty good. Getting to the scale stuff, I took a HPI Bronco body for the Savage, cut the back section out, and put an interior and rollbar from a Dingo body in it. My friends were skeptical of the two piece design, but when it took a 30ft. tumble, that was all body hits, and came it out unscathed, that pretty much ended that debate. The Savage body has larger wheel wells, so I went with the RC4WD Super Swamper IROKs, just because their diameter fills the wheel wells just right. They do require some wheel speed and momentum to get them digging in, so I went up to a 17-tooth pinion. With the stock foams they folded over, so I packed some memory foams underneath the stock RC4WD foams. This has a tendency to shift around so I'm going to invest in some 2-stage foams. The taller tires and heavier body made it more tip over happy, so I went up to 8 ounces in each front wheel, and 4 in the rears. I also put on some wider wheel hexes that widen it by 3mm on each side. I thought the tires look too tucked into the wider body, so I think it looks better too. I painted the wheels flat black, and brought the green beadlocks back out from the inside to match my new paint job. I got the Vanquish shock hoops, because I broke one. They are anodized black so they just look stock. Just this weekend I just got done installing the RC4WD bumpers, and the rock sliders. The sliders sat a little too far forwards, so I melted them with a lighter and bent them back.

It looks and drives like a completely different vehicle than before. I think I got a good foundation going. Future plans include getting the Axial plastic set with the rear view mirrors, windshield wipers, and fire extinguisher. Lining the bed with scale diamond plate. I'm thinking about cutting out the area behind the seat backs, to drop a Proline tool box down in it. For performance I still need to get the high clearance knuckles and universals for more steering.

Well enough rambling, and time for pics.

Here's a video one of the guys made last weekend that has some footage of my truck. (You can't miss it, it's the green one)

Celtic Customs rc - YouTube

Jus, your body looks pretty tough all covered in mud!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:58 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwheelman View Post
Looks good !! But you better tuck that big lip in bubba lol!
Looks alot better with the new bumper s no more bubba gump lip
Attached Images

Last edited by azwheelman; 07-28-2013 at 11:02 PM.

Og scx10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need width of scx10 axles with 650 SLW hubs and/or 750? Pondering wraith vs scx10. Desert Rc General Scale Talk 6 06-25-2012 05:28 PM
Will SCX10 Honcho Kit Parts Fit on Older SCX10? alexchen86 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-23-2009 03:56 PM