Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: flarezfx's scx10 rubicon kit build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2013, 04:46 AM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default flarezfx's scx10 rubicon kit build

Like a lot of people I was pretty excited to see Axial was releasing a kit. I pre-ordered from the States ( I live in Australia ) and happily gave Tower my hard earned cash and paid extra to have it shipped expedited.

Unfortunately after a long night of building I discovered the kit shipped with two left chassis rails. So I've built everything I could while I wait for my replacement. Axial support was pretty awesome. I'm still waiting for my replacement, but the process was painless.

Stock Axial chassis with Vanquish shock hoops and stainless steel screw kit. Flipped the trasmission 180 to help with torque.

BGR Fabrications Stinger bumper. Once I find a company that'll powdercoat it for a reasonable price here in Oz it'll be matte black. I like the way scratched black looks more scale - so no this wont be sitting on a shelf.

New Axial Icon shocks. It took me about 4 oil level tweaks until I got them feeling nice and smooth with no air bubbles. Probably were good the first time, but it was fun getting them perfect. They look good, lets hope they don't leak.

Axle builds. Stock housing with Vanquish CVDs, Vanquish Stage 1 Kit, Vanquish Wheel Weights, Hot Racing clamping wheel hexes. Stock axles will be replace with Curries (black) and Axial HD OD/UD gearing - putting in the order next week.

Vanquish OMF wheels w/ 600 hubs. Not crazy bling colours, but I like the understatement of grey/black.

As far as a driver goes I preordered "Cell" from Portal. She's about 7" tall so a bit big for 1:10 scale, but I figure I can cut her torso a bit so she looks more scale height. Well that's the plan anyway.

Hopefully my chassis replacement will get here soon and I can start putting everything together. Then get onto the fun stuff like paint. I'm thinking about painting it like the Mopar Sand Trooper II. What do you guys think?

Last edited by flarezfx; 03-28-2013 at 03:33 AM.
flarezfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2013, 08:36 AM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: flarezfx's scx10 rubicon kit build

looks like it'll be a great build. I also flipped my tranny and am using the Vanquish Stage 1 Kit and am really pleased with its performance, im sure with the other vanquish parts your rig'll be sweet. and i think the Mopar Sand Trooper II schema will look awesome. good luck, and have fun!

and nice driver choice, another human test subject =). Wheatley approves! hehe

Alright, look, okay, I'll be honest. You're the LAST test subject left. And if you DON'T help me, we're both going to die. Alright? I didn't want to say it, you dragged it out of me. Alright? Dead. Dos Muerte
inebriatedmarmoset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Cheers inebriatedmarmoset! good to see another Portal fan. It'll almost be a shame to cut her up
...edit: NICE truck build yourself! I flipped through you images on photobucket - sweet!

It seems like it's pretty hard to go wrong with the Vanquish stuff. The quality is pretty outstanding. I might have to start selling my kids to afford more vp goodness. Thanks for the thumbs up on the Sand Trooper paint schema. I'm really looking forward to the paint process, a bit nervous, but excited to see if I can pull it off.

Last edited by flarezfx; 03-27-2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old 03-30-2013, 12:04 PM   #4

congrats man.. cant wait to purchase my 1st scx10
pangolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

cheers buddy! yeah you'll have a blast building it
Old 04-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Finally got my replacement chassis rail from Axial so finished the chassis build last night. I'm still waiting for another batch of parts to come from the states - black vp curries etc...and more importantly my radio and servo.

Old 04-06-2013, 05:09 AM   #7

Nice setup! I now own two jk kits and the second one has all VP parts. I just finished up the wiring and can't wait to put it through its paces. I am 100% sure it will handle much better With all the added weight and stability of the curries axles. Hope you got the links to go with them as well.
Cheer!
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:54 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Cheers wakeside!

yes I was thinking the same thing. With the added weight from the wheels, axles and added wheel weights it should be a fair bit more stable than a stock plastic build. I'm also not going to be running any wheel venting since I think that should make the wheels more stable by limiting tire deflection/lateral rollover.

...ya got the links and lockers/HD gearing. Going to be running underdrive gears on the rear.
Old 04-07-2013, 08:03 AM   #9
RCC Addict

That Front BGR bumper is on my next to get list along with the Rear bumper with tire carrier that he is making... I also had took apart my Duke Nukem to make him fit in the drivers seat and I think he came out pretty cool don't want to derail this thread but here's a pic to see the comparison. By the way brother your rig is coming along real nice keep posting up pics...

Last edited by muddywaters; 04-07-2013 at 08:08 AM.
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:45 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Muddy I was checking out your build thread yesterday while I was stuck in traffic - great build! Duke looks to fit really well. Yes you should get a BGR bumper, they are sweet piece of bling for your truck. I would almost go as far as saying they are more bling than currie axles I'II definately be getting a rear bumper off of BGR once he's got them into production.
Old 04-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #11
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by flarezfx View Post
Muddy I was checking out your build thread yesterday while I was stuck in traffic - great build! Duke looks to fit really well. Yes you should get a BGR bumper, they are sweet piece of bling for your truck. I would almost go as far as saying they are more bling than currie axles I'II definately be getting a rear bumper off of BGR once he's got them into production.

Thanks flarezfx's, I couldn't agree with you more on those Bumpers especially when Bill comes out with the rear bumper and tire carrier they are going to make the JK's pop. But again those Vp curries are bling as well and make the rig complete... Again sweet job you got going on with your Jk...
muddywaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

well got my Curries installed. Not sure if I did it right..it almost feels too low. If you look at the servo it's sitting we'll into the chassis. Man I'm a noob. Does it look correct?

Old 04-20-2013, 12:15 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Honestly that is about right with your servo because you are adding a lot of weight with that front bumper; looks good though.

And I am suprised nobody has said anything, but flipping your tranny is not going to help, you need to mirror it. Look up how to mirror it, it takes about an hour. That will make it so you cannot use the spur gear cover though. I did the mirror and you will notice a big difference in that torque twist. When it is mirrored you will end up looking like this.

Good build you got going, keep it up.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:11 PM   #14

looks great with that front bumper and wheels keep it up
jim hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 02:28 AM   #15
Rock Stacker

Well it took me awhile to finish this build ( only a small understatement ) I learned a lot and can't wait to start another build. I still need to add more details... and a driver.

My wife says it looks silly and she's probably right, but I wanted to try something a bit different with the paint. First time painting lexan so it its far from perfect. Minimal stickers since I think less is more.

Still need to get some CI foams, a winch, and some led lights.

Let me know what you think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by flarezfx; 01-04-2014 at 02:36 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 06:49 AM   #16
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valreesio View Post
And I am suprised nobody has said anything, but flipping your tranny is not going to help, you need to mirror it
I did just a flip on mine and have no torque twist at all...and I run two motors on two 4s lipo's.
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 12:43 PM   #17
Rock Stacker

yes flipping your motor does work. I think nobody replied simply because this is a pretty lame build thread and it didn't get many readers.

Old 01-07-2014, 05:45 AM   #18
Rock Stacker

After a few days of trying to make the top work I decided to chuck it. If it was a hard body then maybe, but seeing lexan from angles that show it thinness just looks wrong.

Spent today focusing a bit more on the spare tire and how it's integrated with the body. I like how the ultra4s have the tire flat in the back. I used that as inspiration to come up with this solve. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.

Old 01-16-2014, 02:18 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

small update. spent about 3 hours masking and drawing on shadow lines/ details. I managed to get everything pretty crisp except where the front grill meets the hood area. I also traced around the decals in the grill to tighten them up and add more depth.

One of the things that really bothered me was the Axial logo on the windscreen decal. I think it really took away from the scale look. So I decided to cut out the inside of the decal.

Found a really sweet deal on a dremel 4000 - $30 off reg price. So now I can find myself a driver and hack him in.... I might also try to build some wheel wells.

Got some CI foams coming along with some more scale accessories. Hoping they will be here today.

Old 01-20-2014, 01:48 AM   #20
Rock Stacker

I wasn't overly happy with the spare tire mount so I did some fiddling this morning and created a Y harness.

The tire is sits tightly in the harness, but can be removed easily. The tire mount system is also flexibly and will pivot from the top if the tire catches going down a steep decent.

Last edited by flarezfx; 01-20-2014 at 01:55 AM.

flarezfx's scx10 rubicon kit build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Rubicon kit build list toyota2 Axial SCX-10 14 03-20-2013 06:34 AM
new Rubicon unlimited kit budget build ?s bigred22 Axial SCX-10 16 03-06-2013 12:23 PM
Ordered scx10 Rubicon kit, Questions travis4380 Axial SCX-10 0 02-22-2013 02:44 PM
New SCX10 Rubicon kit, electronics questions Francois Axial SCX-10 5 01-19-2013 12:01 PM