Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: vp locker problem

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #1

Default vp locker problem

Hey guys, I bought a set of VP lockers a few moths ago and just getting around to installing them in my scx10 axles. I managed to get one done and set screws tight but when I turn the pinion there is a binding feeling half way through the full cycle of the gears. My question is has anyone noticed this and what did u do to fix it. It kinda bugs me because it has a bounce to it when installed and ran.
CanadianKronik is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 09:19 AM   #2
Rock Crawler

It says on the site, may need to modify axle housing
rcmedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:54 AM   #3

Default Re: vp locker problem

Everything is done rite, I have modified the housing to accept a 4 mm grub screw to seal it off and have access to the locker set screws. The problem I am having is that the axle shafts do not spin completely true because the set screws push the shafts off center. I have been looking for some type of shim material to shim the shafts to have everything spin on center.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:40 AM   #4
Rock Crawler

You cannot use the set screws with axial shafts... Only super 300s or vanquish candy
Old 03-30-2013, 10:51 AM   #5

Is it because the chunk that goes into the locker is a little thicker? So I guess I'm going to have to place another order with VP for some front and rear axle shafts and might get some beef tubes also while it is apart, what is a good bearing to put in these axles as stock like to wear out fast? I'll try to get enough good quality bearings to redo everything in this truck, I bought a rc4wd ax 2 2 speed and have 1 hour into it, greased when first got it cuz not a lot in to begin with but the bearings did not last long half of them have a lot of play and are super noisy.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Dont waste your money on vp shafts, they will work wothout them. The vp shafts devope slop VERY quickly, just run without set screws. Look at fast eddys for bearings, if you want to put some money into it get , rubber sealed stainless stell cermics, they'll last through water and muck. For beef tubes, make your own, go to home depo. With you housing in hand, find steel tube with the diameter that will fit. Cut it to size, and drill amd tap holes for you c hub screws. Thats what i did for my beef tubes
Old 03-30-2013, 11:36 AM   #7

Thanks for the tip on bearings and beef tubes, I am gunna try and shim the lockers and aslo try to run without set screws and see how it does. I really like the absolute no slop in my drive train except the little in the tranny so I'll experiment a bit and find what's works.
Old 03-30-2013, 11:58 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

Is this a trail basher truck?
The little bit of slot the set screws save you is sooo tiny there is no need for it.
Old 04-01-2013, 08:41 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
Dont waste your money on vp shafts, they will work wothout them. The vp shafts devope slop VERY quickly, just run without set screws. Look at fast eddys for bearings, if you want to put some money into it get , rubber sealed stainless stell cermics, they'll last through water and muck. For beef tubes, make your own, go to home depo. With you housing in hand, find steel tube with the diameter that will fit. Cut it to size, and drill amd tap holes for you c hub screws. Thats what i did for my beef tubes
Ive owned, Axial, RC4WD, VP, super 300's, and another set i forgot the brand.....and i have owned 3 sets of VVD's from VP and not a single one has had slop and my wraith especially ive not had a single bit of slop, and i beat the crap out of my wraith and ive tried to break them, not on either scx10 i have mine been sloppy either. VP did it right with these, a drop in replacement for stock dogbones, no locker change, or bearing change either.
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Ask jermeyH, he absolutly HATES his,
He runs them
In his ax10 comp rig, he won 3rd place at the comp
In california.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmedic View Post
Ask jermeyH, he absolutly HATES his,
He runs them
In his ax10 comp rig, he won 3rd place at the comp
In california.
Thats 1 person, im just saying dont downgrade VP VVD's because they are worth every penny, i wouldnt tell someone not to buy something because I've heard a couple people dont like them.
XJkid93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:10 PM   #12
RCC Addict

I installed VP lockers in my AR60's and was having a little bit of drag in the axles as well. I found that the Axial shafts at the locker end don't fully enter the locker. The tapered point on the set screws were basically not catching all the way and would actually force the axle shaft out of the locker if tightened too much. Just shave off the point on the set screws and make the flat. Loctite them and snug them up and you should get rid of any drag.
AddictedtoRC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by AddictedtoRC1 View Post
I installed VP lockers in my AR60's and was having a little bit of drag in the axles as well. I found that the Axial shafts at the locker end don't fully enter the locker. The tapered point on the set screws were basically not catching all the way and would actually force the axle shaft out of the locker if tightened too much. Just shave off the point on the set screws and make the flat. Loctite them and snug them up and you should get rid of any drag.

Going to try this. I have not been on here in a while or done anything with my scx proline jk yet but now i have some time to some stuff to it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
Rock Crawler

What's going on fellow Canadian yes your issues are in the lockers and the set screws . Easy fix , I run the vanquish vvd's and they are tough . I beat the hell out of my jk brute truggy and they have no slop .
Rodamis is offline   Reply With Quote

vp locker problem - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axle/locker problem R|M|D Photography Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 12-01-2012 09:10 AM
Emaxx Locker Problem dgcghg General Crawlers 3 02-19-2012 05:21 AM
Problem with Tekin RS system in my LCC, will a BEC fix my problem? rcboy514 Electronics 3 01-12-2012 05:55 PM
Little bit of a problem, Possibly big problem... C_Money Electronics 11 03-08-2010 05:49 PM
locker problem+fix/ axle breakage kenny420 Venom Creeper 22 03-22-2009 12:46 PM