Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The docs jk custom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The docs jk custom

Here's the box, you know what it is, so I'm not going to bore you with all the pics of it

I'm going to build it to be a wide frame like the 1.1. The stock kit frame is on the right, so its wide I'm using a Wraith crossmember and made the frame rails fit it.

The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The docs jk custom

I got mine chassis table built and boy is it nice for doing frame or tube work. Set up to bend the Axial frame rail.

Starting to set up the rear axle. Going to the out side like the real deal.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:22 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

cant wait to see how this turns out
briang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:10 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Subscribed...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Fowlboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:26 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

I'm gonna have to keep an eye on this one!
msd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Well after almost all day I didn't like the way the suspension was working, so I went back to the lower links on the skid. With the lower links on the outside of the frame it had way to much rear steer. Plus I've been playing with shock positions on the rears, the frame still needs to be wider in the back to make the upper mounts work right, and I don't want to build a frame that is wider so they would work right. So I'm going to the out side on top. At this moment I'm going to keep the ICON shocks but may go to longer Kings, I'm not sure I like the upper mounts, just too close to the top of the frame. They should be taller. But it cycles great!!

Here it is extended.

Compressed mode.

Made shock mounts and a doubler plate and brazed it to together for strenght.

Old 03-31-2013, 08:06 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Those lower shock mounts are begging to get hung up on obstacles. I do like the custom fab work though. I was thinking of bending up a panhard mount using a similar method of attatchment.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
Those lower shock mounts are begging to get hung up on obstacles. I do like the custom fab work though. I was thinking of
bending up a panhard mount using a similar method of attatchment.
I hear you but I've been working on that. It looks pretty good to me so far, yea something might it it there but its going to have to be small. Plus I've looked at my other rigs and my G6 toyota and there no rock rash that close to the tire. If it does get me hung alot than I will move them.

Old 03-31-2013, 09:35 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I could definately tell some R&D went into them and it looks like they may stay out of the way judging by those pictures, but it's hard to reproduce nature and the physics of a crawler in action in the laboratory though. I think rocks will surely find a way to grab onto those, though will probably be pretty uncommon. I'm imagining them bent back up the width of a rod end in order to mount a panhard bar. I love coming across threads that give inspiration.

Speaking of G6 Yota and inspiration, I saw a build on a Toyota awhile ago when I was doing some searching which really hit the spot with me and that one in the background looks like it may be it. It came a fraction of an inch from pushing me to pick up some brazing supplies and starting my first real build. In the end I caved and just bought a JK body because as inspiring as it was, it crushed my dreams of being happy with whatever Frankenyota I'd end up with, lol. My favorite thing was the rear end tube work, how the 2 arcs crossed and wrapped around the spare tire. That rig as a whole just looks "right" if you know what I mean.
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
I could definately tell some R&D went into them and it looks like they may stay out of the way judging by those pictures, but it's hard to reproduce nature and the physics of a crawler in action in the laboratory though. I think rocks will surely find a way to grab onto those, though will probably be pretty uncommon. I'm imagining them bent back up the width of a rod end in order to mount a panhard bar. I love coming across threads that give inspiration.

Speaking of G6 Yota and inspiration, I saw a build on a Toyota awhile ago when I was doing some searching which really hit the spot with me and that one in the background looks like it may be it. It came a fraction of an inch from pushing me to pick up some brazing supplies and starting my first real build. In the end I caved and just bought a JK body because as inspiring as it was, it crushed my dreams of being happy with whatever Frankenyota I'd end up with, lol. My favorite thing was the rear end tube work, how the 2 arcs crossed and wrapped around the spare tire. That rig as a whole just looks "right" if you know what I mean.
Lol....sorry....should have built one any way.........Your right, thats the Yota I built, I have a hard body Jk and love the looks of it but after doing 1 G6 with it and it being 9 lbs and 2 of it being in the body, cage etc. I thought I would build another lighter rig for G6'ing. So I built the Yota for the G6's, but the dam thing came in at 8 Lbs when all done. But that truck works so good I'm not going to change a thing!!
Old 03-31-2013, 10:17 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

LOL, I'm pretty sure there is a positive correlation between weight and overall awesomeness. Mine only weighs 6lbs .

So, you built that Yota, and now you are building this? Subscribed.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:54 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Worked on a new shock mount design, not the final parts but just checking set up for now.

New upper mounts too, built the 3 link and am working on getting the suspension articulation to work with out the shock spacers they want you to run.

Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 AM   #13
Rock Crawler

Cool fabbing. What CMS setup do you plan to run, will that be custom too? I'm really wanting to run CMS so I can mount my tie rod on top of the Axial high clearance knuckles, but I can't track down a Hand Bros kit and don't like the cheaper kits.

I'll definitely be watching for ideas.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:15 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Cool fabbing. What CMS setup do you plan to run, will that be custom too? I'm really wanting to run CMS so I can mount my tie rod on top of the Axial high clearance knuckles, but I can't track down a Hand Bros kit and don't like the cheaper kits.

I'll definitely be watching for ideas.
I don't know I might buy something, I not very good a fabbing Of course I'm making my own. It's going to be like my Yota if you saw that one. your going to need VP knuckles to get the tie rod up high enough and I run the axial cvd's. You can put spacers on the scx knuckles but I don't like the looks of it.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:32 AM   #15
Rock Crawler

They are the high clearance AX10 knuckles which I think are similar height to the VP's. I wish I could just man up and make some bolt on brackets...That's the main thing hindering my move to CMS, the panhard mounts. I figure they need to be completely solid and I don't have the means to braze at the moment.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:42 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
They are the high clearance AX10 knuckles which I think are similar height to the VP's. I wish I could just man up and make some bolt on brackets...That's the main thing hindering my move to CMS, the panhard mounts. I figure they need to be completely solid and I don't have the means to braze at the moment.
I forgot that axial makes those knuckles, But I think VP ones are cheeper. If yopu that the TLT bracket you could use one of the holes to bolt to the frame and if you get it tight enough it might hold the bracket. I took a piece of brass flat stock and bent it 90 deg and drilled the holes to make the bracket fit my axle. Look at my toy build.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:56 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Looking good. Rear shock mounts look like the 1:1 for the most part. I like it.

Spider9 would look sick under there. Lol.
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:28 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Steering servo is mounted, bracket for the battery tray and the body posts.

Electronics box, and is going to be water proof.

Installed the flairs and trimed the over lap off.

Also raised the flairs a tad.

Installed the vanquish knuckles.
Old 04-10-2013, 06:28 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Why did you take the roll out of the front part of the chassis?
HillbillyCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:05 PM   #20

Is this the one you're building for your buddy you race short course trucks with? Lol
knowitall156 is offline   Reply With Quote

The docs jk custom - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The docs wraith The Doc Axial Wraith 97 07-06-2013 02:59 AM
docs test rob_b Testing 1 2 3 0 03-26-2011 11:25 PM