Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: What should I expect to break?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default What should I expect to break?

I'm running an SCX10 Honcho with the following: HiTec metal gear servo, aluminum servo horn, titanium steering links, Axial aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, beadlocked Irok 1.9's, allthread/tubed 4-link, Revo ends on all links, reinforced driveshafts.

Electronics, axles, transmission are stock w/ NiMh battery, but currently running a 35T motor and 14T pinion. Going to test 45T and 13 & 14T pinions.

Honcho is used primarily in rocks, and a little trail work.

I'm primarily concerned about the front end and wonder what is most likely to break? I know from 1:1 that as you modify and add capability, steering tends to be the weak link. I think I'm ok there, but wonder what the next fuse will be? Axleshafts, r&p, ???
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
I wanna be Dave

Sounds like a dam good rig.. Axial cvd's are a good bet for better steering an strength.. Been running mine for a year now on a 35t HH pro with a 15t pinion on 3s for scale courses an 4s for trail runs an g6..
winnerone23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Default Re: What should I expect to break?

Sounds like your off to a good start with the mods, I would be looking at some steel gears/outdrives for your gearbox.
greenjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:00 PM   #4
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cr00zah View Post
I'm running an SCX10 Honcho with the following: HiTec metal gear servo, aluminum servo horn, titanium steering links, Axial aluminum c-hubs and knuckles, beadlocked Irok 1.9's, allthread/tubed 4-link, Revo ends on all links, reinforced driveshafts.

Electronics, axles, transmission are stock w/ NiMh battery, but currently running a 35T motor and 14T pinion. Going to test 45T and 13 & 14T pinions.

Honcho is used primarily in rocks, and a little trail work.

I'm primarily concerned about the front end and wonder what is most likely to break? I know from 1:1 that as you modify and add capability, steering tends to be the weak link. I think I'm ok there, but wonder what the next fuse will be? Axleshafts, r&p, ???
Your bank account followed by the transmission gears. I would upgrade to a 3s lipo to get longer run times.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Trans gears and outdrives probably the first thing to change
Weapon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

I wouldn't expect anything to break with your setup. This doesn't mean things won't wear out and fail over time. Run it and enjoy it until then.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:34 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

Agree with what others have said. I would not expect anything to break with what you're running. Even less likely if you go to a higher turn motor. You've already address the weakest areas. I'm not sure about the reinforced drive shafts though. Is that the stock shafts. I'd go MIP or Punishers. I also would change the trans gears to some Robinson's for piece of mind. These trucks are surprising strong. It took some getting use to going out with a RC and coming home with nothing broken!

Last edited by cox308; 03-31-2013 at 02:38 AM.
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

If you primary use is on the rocks even with a stockish set-up for electronics youll still want to replace the transmission gears with RRP or what AxialJeepster sells (if he can ever get them back in stock) because if you get into a bind and try to power out your tranny is the next weakest link.
RebelRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 06:25 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Awesome, I really appreciate the feedback! Sounds like the transmission is the "fuse" now, so I'll address that next. I have been very impressed with this rig so far, the couple of issues I've had have been self-inflicted: thread locker is your friend. But otherwise it's been solid and very enjoyable.

I threaded in bolts to the driveshafts to try and prevent twisting of the splined area. I think I'll hold off on upgrading them for the time being and do the transmission.

Thanks again!
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote

What should I expect to break? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
what did he expect to see? bigoggy Chit Chat 5 09-07-2011 07:14 PM
is neutral break the same as drag break? rod-211 Newbie General 3 02-25-2011 08:33 PM
What should I expect? Mighty1 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 4 11-22-2009 09:09 PM
Does she expect us to believe this? JasonInAugusta Chit Chat 15 05-15-2009 06:40 PM