Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: roll cage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-01-2013, 04:41 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default roll cage

hi I have an axial scx10 and just bought a new body for it however it does not have a roof or windshield so I need a roll cage for it. however ive never built one before so I was needing to know what is the best diameter/material to use on a budget. and any advice on how to put it together would be very helpful id like to stick to a soldering iron because I don't wanna buy a welder and my welder is way to powerful.
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-2013, 06:17 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: roll cage

I don't know what the best is, but at just over $10 for 6ft I was thinking of using common 1010 seamless carbon steel 3/16" OD and .035" wall using MAPP gas to braze.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:34 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I was told that 1/4" hobby grade brass tube and a 60watt soldering iron would be good is that true.
Old 04-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I guess I just need to know if brass will hold up I have soldering iron and pipe bnders the hobby shop here sells it cheap butbive heard good anf bad things about using brass
Old 04-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #5

Hey Jared,
I would recommend using the brake line tubing from the local auto parts store. (Without the green coating) They have several different diameters to choose from. Dont remember the diameter but just get something really close.
Having gone through many different materials myself, I found the tubing to work the best as does most others on this site. Copper and brass are a bit pricey and require more to bend properly without kinking.
Just make sure you buy the recommended solder Safety-Silv® 45 | The Harris Products Group along with the flux and a tank of map gas. Not only is it fun, it also opens up the door for creativity and building your own rock sliders, front/rear bumpers etc....
Sorry for the photos if its too much. This was my first time brazing and exposure to the crawling scene and enjoy tinkering in the garage.
Hope it helps motivate you as much as it did for me. Cant wait to see what you come up with.
Take a look here for some brazing tips if you havent already. They really helped me. RCCrawler General Tech - Tools, and Procedures at RCCrawler.com

Heres a photo of my dingo hilux cage i was messing around with along with a stinger i made for fun as well as a stock wraith bumper with winch mount.

wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

roll cage - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Roll Cage/Exo Cage? ZackMicF Paint and Body 6 07-04-2012 06:19 AM
Wk Roll Cage SCAREMONGER HPI Wheely King 2 06-04-2011 11:45 PM
roll cage 98s10 Axial SCX-10 2 11-01-2009 05:40 PM
roll cage jwilli2213 Paint and Body 2 11-15-2007 09:02 AM