Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Wider Wheel Hex?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2013, 09:47 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Wider Wheel Hex?

I was looking at installing slightly wider hexes for a little better stability, and to get the tires a little farther beyond the fenders. Will the AX30429 hexes be good for this?
SCX10Dingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Wider Wheel Hex?

G-Made - The Crawlers Store LLC

There are shorter sizes If you look around.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Try the front hexes off a Traxxas Slash 2wd. Theyre wider than normal.
rock-racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

You can get about 1/4" wider stance with hexs before you run out of thread on your axles. I ran Proline aluminum clamping style hexs on mine which are originally for the front of a 2WD Traxxas Slash, however the 1/4" overall gain in track width was hardly noticable so I put the red G-Made wideners on my JK. It looked a little funky with the skinny Trepadors, but looks mean with the wider Baja Claws.

I've posted pictures comparing wider hexs to the stock including measurements (Stock hex = 5mm width, Proline = 8.25mm). They are a little pricey for hexs but the regular Traxxas plastic hexs are quite a bit cheaper. The thread on my JK has several photos of it with the G-Made wideners on it as well. Maybe you've already seen them.

Vanquish Stage 1 kit???
Welcome another member to the orange JK club.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:34 AM   #5
Rock Stacker

Any problems with the slash hexes being made of plastic (breakage)?

The g-made are quite a bit wider than I was looking at. Have you found any real downside to going that wide?
Old 04-03-2013, 10:22 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10Dingo View Post
Any problems with the slash hexes being made of plastic (breakage)?

The g-made are quite a bit wider than I was looking at. Have you found any real downside to going that wide?
I've never used them, but I assume it's a pretty strong material. As long as the axle pins fit snug and the hex fits precisely into the wheels I wouldn't ever expect to actually break one. I didn't necessarily spring for the Prolines for strength, but instead because I like the style that clamp on to the axle. Any piece that actually fastens itself to another tightens tollerances reducing slop.

Nope, other than the barrel nuts don't stay tight as well as a good ny-lock nut, but either way I check wheelnuts before every run and carry the little 4-way wrench with me. Longer = more leverage, so there has got to be more stress on the axle parts. I don't know how significant it is, but I'm pretty easy with my rig. I happen to love the look they give my JK. The tires still flex nicely into the fenders and it looks mean without being entirely unscale.

This is the stance I was going for, and the 12mm wideners hit the nail on the head.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCX10Dingo View Post
I was looking at installing slightly wider hexes for a little better stability, and to get the tires a little farther beyond the fenders. Will the AX30429 hexes be good for this?
What rims are you using? Those hexes won't work with stock scx-10 wheels because they have the extended center section that helps center the wheel on the hex. Other than that yes, they would widen the stance some.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 12:06 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

I am running moto something rather wheels (sorry cant think of the name at the moment). I could maybe just grind off the nipple on the hex? They don't list how wide they are. The traxxas ones work well I'm sure - just wanted something that was black and made of metal... The rules for the 1.9 scale comps here state that the max width is 10" from out side of the tires. I would be over width with the g made setup.
Old 04-04-2013, 12:38 PM   #9
RCC Addict

It depends on how much more hex you want. You can go with the traxxas ones but you will need 2 sets and you can get them in aluminum or goo to RPPHOBBY and get the wide wheel hexes they are about 5mm thicker per side than the stock scx10 hexes or you can get the ones for the wraith that ould be about 2mm thicker.
craddock35 is offline   Reply With Quote

Wider Wheel Hex? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Offset hex... for a wider a wider stance. Willy Smellson Axial Wraith 2 01-30-2013 04:26 AM
slightly wider hex dirtslow Axial Wraith 4 11-02-2012 11:19 AM
Wider wheel hexes out there than these? jeepster73 Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 6 01-27-2011 09:44 AM
Wider wheel hex ? LIFTED-ZJ Axial SCX-10 9 06-30-2010 10:10 PM
Wider Hex adapters? bassguitar Tires and Wheels 0 03-09-2009 08:27 AM