Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Cold hard honest truth review

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 02:44 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Cold hard honest truth review

Initial Cold hard honest truth review? Go on then....out of the box, feels a little cheap and plastic. But then I recall thinking the same of the Wraith in stock form. Wraith is definitely bigger and more substantial. Scx10 feels feeble in comparison. Stock gearing is nice. I did not try the electronics/servo instead I put my other gear in. The shocks that come with it although dual sprung feel very cheap and the lower cap fell off one and leaked almost immediately! I think the more I mess around with it and make it my own the more it will grow on me....I hope! 1.9 wheels are tiny compared to the 2.2 of the Wraith.

May be I should have titled it First Impressions???

Last edited by o0wiz0o; 04-04-2013 at 01:56 AM.
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #2

I almost regret not buying the wraith... Although there is just something about the scx10 that just got me hooked from the start, maybe it's the realism n comparison a real rubicon (in my case anyway, I have the JK rubicon), I'm not sure but I can't wait to start modding and seeing what I can really get out out of this thing. Good luck and i hope you find some love for the SCX!

Sent from my iPad Mini
rogue1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #3

Default Re: Cold hard honest truth review

Wow. Really? Cold hard honest truth review?

That is how you see it? After how many vehicles have you bought / built / owned / rebuilt / traded / designed / or even had?

As a seldom poster, but long time lurker to this forum and a LONG time R/C enthusiast, your post is somewhat weak... at best.

Each vehicle and manufacturer has its' positives and negatives, but to just come on the SCX10 forum and basically "BASH" it.. is lacking class.

How about providing some worth to a forum, instead of just bashing something?

Great. You have an opinion. Well said. You dont like what you have. Cool. Thanks for sharing, but really, you will not get that much positive response here. You will get the following:

Upgrade /and what you need to upgrade. They people here are great.

Yes, Stock shocks are not the best, but its better than others...

Plastic? Yup! as is any other kit, minus.. well... yup! Every kit / RTR has plastic.

Axial.. are they the best? That is up to each owner of a product to decide. I personally have 2 SCX10, Wraith, and Exo. Each has their flaws, but I have made each AWESOME to me and my use. ( I Love all my R/C vehicles, and the ones I don't, ... I dont have anymore)

So take your "Cold hard honest truth review" to the "Chit Chat" Forum and solicit a response elsewhere....

Oh.. and If I offended you... forgive me. I might care.. but...I have no feelings. "Good Day Sir!"

S
Sbott1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:25 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Ill be honest I love the scx10 and honestly its not feedble lol my buddy has his still in stock form and has never had an issue out of anything except the links bending. Anf its 3yo. But at any rate id never change to another brand or model unless they improve upon this one I also like the wraith its bigger and honestly easier on the rocks. In my humble opinion the scx10 behaves like the 1:1 trucks they represent. And requires more skill to handle. But anyway the axial does have plastic starting out but the aftermarket for it is killer theres not a single plastic piece on mine except front bumper. And the upgrades are half the fun. I love it never had a problem with it and will comp it till the wheels fall off. But its like this (personal preference) some love it and some not so much. We all have different opinions and everything but I can say this ive had my rig a few months and it will crawel circles around some other brands out there. And me or my crawler buddies has never had a big issue out of our rigs even in stock platform. But whether its the wraith or the scx axial makes a quality product and ill be a diehard client of theirs forever.
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Oh an im not being mean but before you go and post a review you need to test or research and go in depth in stead of saying it feels this way or i think you really need to know the stuff thinking isnt good enough bc ill say the scx10 us one of the most popular trucks out there and it didnt get that way by being junk.
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:12 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Wow, one of the most versatile trucks/chassis out there....
You'll learn soon enough to buy a kit and build it up to your standards. Hope you have deep pockets, this is not the hobby for the cheap ....

I got my butt handed to me when I first started in this hobby for bad mouthing Vanquish Products. I am a bit more reserved now
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 AM   #7
RCC Addict

I've since had a bit more of a play with it and it is growing on me. I think it needs to be treated as a completely different beast from the Wraith and my expectations of it. I not a n00b and although some seem to have took offence at my post I think it offers value to someone looking to buy the RTR (So Good day sir! - lol). I stand by my comment that the stock build quality of the Wraith far out weighs that of the SCX. The type of plastic they have used on the Wraith just feels much more durable (especially the axles).

I also understand that I will have to upgrade it to make it my own as I did with the Wraith. VP will be applied when and where I think it is needed. The first Mod will be to get that battery up front!
Old 04-04-2013, 05:06 AM   #8

I ran mine for the first time a few days ago and I had the same problem with the shocks. The lower cap fell off and it started leaking and I had to head home. The screw that connects the rear link with the rear axle also came off. I was quite disappointed with it. I wasn't even rock climbing, I was just running it up and down on a pile of snow. But I will fix everything and run it again. Who knows, maybe that won't happen again. I hope so.
ScaleAlert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 05:51 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Isn't this area technically for tech? Moved to chit chat in 3... 2... 1...
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 06:39 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScaleAlert View Post
I ran mine for the first time a few days ago and I had the same problem with the shocks. The lower cap fell off and it started leaking and I had to head home. The screw that connects the rear link with the rear axle also came off. I was quite disappointed with it. I wasn't even rock climbing, I was just running it up and down on a pile of snow. But I will fix everything and run it again. Who knows, maybe that won't happen again. I hope so.
I have no doubt it will be a good platform with a few good mods. Shame quality control lacked a little on our RTR's. Ah well...
Old 04-04-2013, 07:06 AM   #11
Jus
I wanna be Dave

It's a "RTR" but you should really check over the whole truck when it's new to make sure everything is tight and put together properly. The whole idea of a RTR is to get new people into the hobby but especially in the crawler world, you are going to tinker on these things and check them over often or you WILL have problems. Just the way it is.

I have 4 scx-10's and let me tell you they are a very durable and well made truck.

If I had to choose one and only one upgrade to do, it would be fine thread 3mm bolts for the chubs, knuckles, and lockouts. Nothing else is required at all unless you really abuse them. This is from years of experience and miles and miles of trail time with several different trucks. Sure mine are upgraded, but it's just because I like to improve and tinker on them and everything I've added is a luxury.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:17 AM   #12
RCC Addict

What are the upgraded bolts for? Is this to stop the wear that occurs with the stock? I know the Wraith ended up with a fair bit of slop after a while where they wore the thread in the axles.
Old 04-04-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I am posting as a noob myself, this is the first axial product I have owned but I bought the kit version not the rtr. I am having a lot of fun building it and have learned a lot from reading on this forum. I don't feel that this feels any cheaper than any other RC that I have owned (all Traxxas products). In fact it feels quite nice the further I get along with it. That being said there are a few little things here and there that I would have liked to seen done differently but it is what it is. The plastic flange balls for one I do not like them but I used them for the build but the steel ones showed up yesterday and are ready to go in as well as a clamping servo horn. I can also see a VP transmission housing in my near future because one of the mounting holes is stripped.

I am not complaining at all about the kit, I understand why things are done the way they are when it come to these toys. Besides I love to work and upgrade stuff and this hobby gives me a great outlet to do it. Expensive, yes it is, but not to bad compared to any other hobby.

To each there own but so far I think it is a great kit and I cannot wait to drive it, break it and of course upgrade it.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:13 AM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
What are the upgraded bolts for? Is this to stop the wear that occurs with the stock? I know the Wraith ended up with a fair bit of slop after a while where they wore the thread in the axles.
The screws he mentioned are crappy super coarse thread and will work them selfs out quickly. When they come out completely major damage can occur, Broken hubs, broken knuckles, etc. You should check that these are tight before every time you run your rig. Having to re-tighten them so often they will eventually strip out. Better to make the switch before they do.

Simply switching these to M3 hardware will make this a lot less likely to happen.

Switching to M3 hardware, aluminum hubs, knuckle's, and lock outs then add some beef tubes and Loctite and you'll NEVER have to worry about that again.

Last edited by cox308; 04-04-2013 at 09:17 AM.
cox308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Love a review for a truck thats been out for a few years. lol. SCX10 is a great truck. theres a reason its very popular.
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:00 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Ah got ya. Ta. :-)

Took it crawling earlier. It's a different ball game from the Wraith. Its less forgiving and will roll if I'm not careful. I wanted to see how it faired stock. I have now moved the battery to the front and removed the spare wheel which was getting caught. I'll try the same terrain again and I expect these to changes will yield impressive results. :-)

I'm enjoying the challenge and will tweak it till its perfect.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
RCC Addict

For the money the honcho is a great platform to start with and the best truck I own. Had I known that and done my research I would of saved a lot of $$ and not spent money on an Exceed, and then an RS10.

Your review fits those 2 better than it does the SCX line. With a few minor mods the honcho can take a beating, in the 2.5 years I have owned mine I have yet to break a part after I upgraded from the few weak plastic parts the
kit came with. I do not baby it , its driven almost daily and is still my go to rig.

Get used to the truck, throw a few mods on there and I'm sure your review will sound much different.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 03:16 PM   #18
RCC Addict

Indeed. It is all perspective. I have come from a pimped Axial Wraith to this platform. It has a lot to live up to! I wanted a more scale truck hence the move. It will either be a Defender or a Toyo at some point in the future once it rides nice. :-)
Old 04-04-2013, 03:35 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Indeed. It is all perspective. I have come from a pimped Axial Wraith to this platform. It has a lot to live up to! I wanted a more scale truck hence the move. It will either be a Defender or a Toyo at some point in the future once it rides nice. :-)
Anybody can drive a wraith, in fact I find mine to be a little boring, the scx will teach you how to crawl. Not that you don't know already I'm just saying it takes more skill to drive a honcho type rig. Enjoy having both trucks and keep posting your thoughts.
ickabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:20 PM   #20
RCC Addict

I think your right. A lot more skill and tact is needed with the SCX which does make it more challenging. Alas the Wraith has been sold to fund this venture. Wish I'd nicked the shocks off it now. Hehe...

Cold hard honest truth review - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Maybe the TRUTH will come out? caymin last Chit Chat 1 01-05-2013 12:08 PM
Ain't that the truth... Duuuuuuuude Chit Chat 19 03-08-2011 01:18 AM
truth in 24 Mr.Slave Chit Chat 5 06-10-2009 11:57 PM
Truth in 24 Brandon Chit Chat 2 01-17-2009 02:30 PM
I need the truth. crawlking93 Electronics 9 12-01-2008 11:31 AM