Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: new axial scx10 rubicon issues? help

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-03-2013, 05:11 PM   #1

Default new axial scx10 rubicon issues? help

ok here it goes, i am a noob to crawling and rc scale, i just purchased my first ride the new jeep rubicon rtr and love it !! my only problem so far is after a few rolls down my hills it would start to almost cogg out and not move then nothing would work, then i would pick it up off the ground and give it throttle and it would all work again hmm then another roll or two and it was fine then after a roll again no power at all so i would turn off the esc and on again and nothing, as i walked back to the table and put it down took the body off my buddy came over and fliped the esc back to on and all was fine and it started to work again????? this all happened on day two of ever driving it and day one was spent at first in a bit of packed snow but nothing got too wet and the remainder of that day was in sand , the problems didnt happen until well into the second day and about 5 hours of crawling. as of now no real problems like that have happened but i have also been very careful not to roll it real hard. any help and or ideas as to what it might be would be great. thank you
messynachos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-03-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
Pebble Pounder

Default Re: new axial scx10 rubicon issues? help

Try troubleshooting the mechanical set up first. Make sure things turn/spin freely. Drive shafts secured. No binding. Stuff like that.
Then
Move on to troubleshooting electronics. If things worked fine after drying out search forum for how to waterproof your rig. Also, check and double check your connections and integrity of the connections to ensure good conductivity.
You'll work the bugs out. Enjoy.
Salojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:42 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Moisture is a killer to those electronics sounds like its electrical my buddies car did that and it was the esc
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:49 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salojac View Post
Try troubleshooting the mechanical set up first. Make sure things turn/spin freely. Drive shafts secured. No binding. Stuff like that.
Then
Move on to troubleshooting electronics. If things worked fine after drying out search forum for how to waterproof your rig. Also, check and double check your connections and integrity of the connections to ensure good conductivity.
You'll work the bugs out. Enjoy.
sounds great thanks ill start trouble shooting asap. i dont think it would be a moisture problem because like you say after it sat inside all night it was fine the whole next day. and it only really seemed to happen when it took a good toss down a hill. im thinking its a connection someplace, thank you for the advice.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:49 PM   #5

I'm a need too and I had a similar question because min was acting up like this, I ended up ripping it all apart and cleaning and rebuilding to ensure there was nothing wrong, works like a champ now. Just need to add some grease.. Excessive water/deep/constant water is not recommended from what I have noticed.

Sent from my iPad
rogue1series is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:38 PM   #6

hmm i think i will start to troubleshoot the most obvious places like connections and go from there..... as i can tell theres no mechanical issues but i have yet to take off the tranny cover or whatever u call it .lol its going to be hard to find unless its blatently in the open to see whats wrong as i said it runs fine now...so i wont know till i roll it
Old 04-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #7
RCC Addict

The CC based ESC uses the same type of switch that alm the CC guys remove.
tozrovr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:47 PM   #8

but i really do love this scx10 jeep and i am very happy with it other then this little glitch! bone stock rtr she climbs and climbs up the steepest trails we can make, the only thing i need to do is mount the battery in the front to stop flipping over backwards but i cant seem to find any screws (the 3 long ones that were suppose to come with it) in any of the bags of parts so i can change that. hmmm i wonder if i contacted axial? dont want to bug over a few missing screws but i guess i could toss the cogging question at them too. what do u think?
Old 04-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I bet you find a cold solder joint.... Doesn't show up till you jar it a bit
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:52 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tozrovr View Post
The CC based ESC uses the same type of switch that alm the CC guys remove.
thanks for the info i will look into that,
Old 04-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I bet you find a cold solder joint.... Doesn't show up till you jar it a bit
thanks !
Old 04-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #12

If you have it try running a different speed controller or borrow a friends.
Crawlerjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:57 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I dont know how the jeep is but the honcho uses a front mounted battery it uses 3 spacers and the first screw goes through the metal tray and the plastic into a crossarm in front of the servo and the other two screws also have that spacer and screw into the reciever box. Also on your problem id call axial and get tech support and tell them what its doing if its mechanically sound the only other thing id think is either the esc or the connectors
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawlerjedi View Post
If you have it try running a different speed controller or borrow a friends.
thanks! thats a good idea i have a few cc sidewinder esc's i should be able to hook one up
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredcrawler185 View Post
I dont know how the jeep is but the honcho uses a front mounted battery it uses 3 spacers and the first screw goes through the metal tray and the plastic into a crossarm in front of the servo and the other two screws also have that spacer and screw into the reciever box. Also on your problem id call axial and get tech support and tell them what its doing if its mechanically sound the only other thing id think is either the esc or the connectors
good idea i will give them a shout tomorrow and see what they say. i will let you guys know what they say.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:35 AM   #16
RCC Addict

Maybe you got snow and then later sand in your motor. Maybe just the motor needs replacing.
salmonfacesalad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:57 AM   #17
Rock Stacker

It really sounds like a bad connection to me also. But a good check of everything sounds like a good idea. I would clean and re-oil the motor and maybe try putting your esc in a bag of dry rice for a couple days to make sure there is no moisture in it.

There are a lot of things that could make it do what you are saying, try unhooking you servo and see if that helps, it could be going bad also.

Hope you get it fixed up soon!
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 08:49 AM   #18
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by messynachos View Post
but i really do love this scx10 jeep and i am very happy with it other then this little glitch! bone stock rtr she climbs and climbs up the steepest trails we can make, the only thing i need to do is mount the battery in the front to stop flipping over backwards but i cant seem to find any screws (the 3 long ones that were suppose to come with it) in any of the bags of parts so i can change that. hmmm i wonder if i contacted axial? dont want to bug over a few missing screws but i guess i could toss the cogging question at them too. what do u think?
The long screws are AXA471 M3 x30mm self tapping flat head. The RTR manual doesn't list the screws as coming with it. You also need the 3 AX80027-2 spacers.

The Honcho instructions will show how to install the battery plate up front.
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...kit-honcho.pdf
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:16 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7zpj View Post
The long screws are AXA471 M3 x30mm self tapping flat head. The RTR manual doesn't list the screws as coming with it. You also need the 3 AX80027-2 spacers.

The Honcho instructions will show how to install the battery plate up front.
http://docs.axialracing.com/instruct...kit-honcho.pdf
the 3x30mm were way to big , but on a good note i contacted axial and told them about my problem and they said that this sounds like the start of an esc issue and will be sending me a new one along with the screws!!!!!!! so thank you axial! and thanks for all the help from you guys, since this all happened i dropped my sct sidewinder set up in my jeep and boy does she go when you need that bit of extra snap out of the mud. i can see a future of broken parts coming my way though.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:48 PM   #20
Rock Stacker

a friend rubicon's fall into a water canal. the synthomps where the same as yours until it died. no response, zero. I cleaned all the electronics with contact cleaner, dissasembled the ESC plastic box and there was that White rust in the electronics. with all the things cleaned and dried that rubicon started to roll again .
I also recommend to waterproof the axles, 20 seconds on water and 2 days later the bearings where locked by rust.
Rorro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axial scx10issues

new axial scx10 rubicon issues? help - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Axial SCX10 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon jason Scale Videos! 16 11-03-2013 09:27 AM
New Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Axial Promo Vid B94Cast Scale Videos! 0 10-30-2012 12:20 PM
Axial SCX10 w/ Proline Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-DR CEEJAY5 Scale Videos! 9 03-14-2012 10:09 AM