Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Newbie Build + Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2013, 01:26 PM   #1

Default Newbie Build + Questions

I've been stalking the boards for a while as I contemplated jumping into RC'ing and continued to do so while I worked on the build out on my Dingo kit. I was trying to keep it relatively budget friendly, without buying something I would be upgrading or replacing in a month. I believe I struck a good balance but I supose time will tell.

As a recent Austin, TX transplant into the heart of Brooklyn I'm hoping this will keep scratching the car itch I left behind with my 99 heavily modded TJ, and 67 Chevy C10 Rodstoration project I left at about 50% completion in my garage back home.

Components:
Dingo Builder's Kit
Holmes BRXL waterproof ESC
Axial 27T Motor
Savox SA1230SG (great price at $74 Shipped from Amazon).
FlySky GT-3b Radio
GenAce 4000 mAH 3s battery
Off Brand 12 LED light Kit

Build Notes:
I wish I had paid attention to the mirror/flipping threads while building it. I took the dang thing off and turned it around thinking I had it wrong, only to find out that it is the flipped and often preferred setup!

Gluing tires, is not awesome. I already am not happy with the stock foams so to pull them off was not the easiest task and no have a few rough edges. I'll likely be picking up some beadlocks this week instead of gluing the ripsaws in place again. I have been happy with them, but have run them since day one with ever other outer tread shoulder cut off. (I was waiting on my ESC to arrive for two weeks and wanted to stay busy on the build).

I four linked it right away, and of course found the front end to be off so I set it up with the all thread and Revo links. Easy enough job, that seems to help a lot, as now the servo arm will clear the frame and I picked up a LOT more travel up front. Savox seems a bit noisy, but this is my first RC and first electronic servo so I have no baseline to compare it too. It works great though.

Paint:
I wish I had paid better attention to the crevices of the tub, and the hard edge body lines when laying down the color. It came out too thin in several spots.
Off Brand Contact Cement will take off the fully cured paint (See the paint blemishes around the headlights).

Next up:
Installing six quick connects on the body mounted LED leads so I can quickly pop it off and on.

Filling the stock drive shafts to stop the eventual collapsing.

Weights in tires.

Thoughts & Questions:
The thing runs great except at full speed it seems to get overloaded and will just stop for a second, or at full turn and mid-high throttle again the radio seems to get overloaded. What would cause this?

Again without a baseline, but this sucker is pretty quick for what it is. In terms of power/scale it has way more torque and "Hp" than a 1x1 would have With the setup I am running would you guys suggest changing out any parts (Motor, gearing, pinion?) I'm a big fan of the run it until you break it model, but wonder if since I picked out my own electronics if it is obvious that I have massively over specced anything?

Yesterday was the first chance to really play with it, the weight is pretty well distributed but I need more up front to keep the nose glued down on steep climbs (wheel weights). It was a ton of fun, and a surprisingly good performer.
Attached Images

tmwoodall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #2
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Default Re: Newbie Build + Questions

You need to run a bec. That will solve your overload problem.

Yes, you need an external BEC!
Frankenwheely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:32 PM   #3
RCC Addict

I would have went a bit more conservative on your electronics and put some money saved towards a set of bead-lock rims...glue issue - SOLVED!

Trying to add wheel weights to a glued tire...NOT HAPPENIN'! But that is self-critiquing.

The Savox servo is an energy monster! So, if you're running anything built by castle as an ESC (I dont know who manufactures your ESC), its going to glitch out from a lack of power. An external BEC will bypass the power output from the ESC and feed power straight from the battery to the servo - should fix that issue. When you consider the cost of a BEC and Savox servo, may consider swapping out for a different servo not requiring a BEC.

All good learning point! Truck looks nice, but I'm going to warn you now...Its not going to look like the pictures in another month. From the looks of things, you have the fever and you're going to upgrade and mod EVERYTHING! hehe

Welcome to the Addiction!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:46 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Looks good so far. I would have to agree with redsawacs. It wont be long until you change everything and it does not look like that anymore.
cazper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankenwheely View Post
You need to run a bec. That will solve your overload problem.

Yes, you need an external BEC!
Interesting, I picked up the BRXL because of all the rave reviews of the onboard BEC and waterproofing (the SV3 was also backordered at the time).
Old 04-07-2013, 02:59 PM   #6
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Every crawler needs an external. Just the nature of the beast.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:09 PM   #7

Quote:
Yep, I hear ya. Just did more reading. I may try the "band-aid" approach first and pick up or make a glitch buster since I don't have access to a Castle link or a PC (Apple/Mac only guy).

Also, cheap G-Made beadlocks are in the cart with the Novak Cap.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:15 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
I would have went a bit more conservative on your electronics and put some money saved towards a set of bead-lock rims...glue issue - SOLVED!

Trying to add wheel weights to a glued tire...NOT HAPPENIN'! But that is self-critiquing.

The Savox servo is an energy monster! So, if you're running anything built by castle as an ESC (I dont know who manufactures your ESC), its going to glitch out from a lack of power. An external BEC will bypass the power output from the ESC and feed power straight from the battery to the servo - should fix that issue. When you consider the cost of a BEC and Savox servo, may consider swapping out for a different servo not requiring a BEC.

All good learning point! Truck looks nice, but I'm going to warn you now...Its not going to look like the pictures in another month. From the looks of things, you have the fever and you're going to upgrade and mod EVERYTHING! hehe

Welcome to the Addiction!
Thanks for the feedback. I'm sure you are right. My Wrangler was bone stock when I bought it now it's tube fender-ed, self made sliders, cut away rear tub etc. Totally different truck and I expect this to be no different.

I already trimmed and capped the stock bumper as it was keeping me from getting to many of the obstacles I wanted to try and climb. Started with it trimmed up to the outer bars, but suspect I'll be whacking it off shorter to give full access to the front tires. White wheels, and a better grill/headlight combo are on the list too.
Old 04-07-2013, 03:25 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
me and my mates dont run bec`s in our rigs. were only using the ae-2 esc and hitec wp servo`s and 2s lipo`s and we dont have any problems with them shutting down but i guess since he is using a savox servo he should use one.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 03:31 PM   #10
D-Wray 4 Prez!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
me and my mates dont run bec`s in our rigs. were only using the ae-2 esc and hitec wp servo`s and 2s lipo`s and we dont have any problems with them shutting down but i guess since he is using a savox servo he should use one.
If your pushing more that 150-200oz of torque it will cause overload.

Go Celtic Football!

Newbie Build + Questions - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Li-Po newbie questions Grumpster1980 Electronics 0 02-24-2010 12:25 PM
newbie SCX10 build questions Scott VA Newbie General 2 01-04-2010 04:58 PM
Newbie Questions... fatwoul Tamiya CR-01 7 08-11-2008 04:00 PM
more newbie questions... Turkey Newbie General 6 02-15-2007 08:24 AM
Newbie here and got some questions matt162 Newbie General 8 06-05-2006 06:00 PM