Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: VP Axle Goodies Question..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default VP Axle Goodies Question..

So this might come off as a "newb" question but im just not a VP fanboy and now im curious about these lol
i could really careless what brand my parts are as long as they work im happy, especially when theyre cheap

so my question is..

so whats the diff between the highsteer zero ackerman knucks..

and whats the diff between the highsteer 8 degree knucks and chubs..

Big Tex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 11:20 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: VP Axle Goodies Question..

the only difference i can see is the 8 deg ones will sit 8 deg further round to the back and the zero will sit more straight on so your steering tie-rod will be higher back so less stuff to rub it on but if you use the zero the steering tie-rod will hit more things.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 11:28 AM   #3
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
the only difference i can see is the 8 deg ones will sit 8 deg further round to the back and the zero will sit more straight on so your steering tie-rod will be higher back so less stuff to rub it on but if you use the zero the steering tie-rod will hit more things.
i have noticed with the zero ackerman stuff the tie rod hits the diff before full cycle left and right, and i read somewhere the 8* stuff reduces "scrub"..?
Old 04-08-2013, 12:26 PM   #4
RCC Addict

my guess would be that you can rotate the axle to get a better pinion angle and these 8° C-hubs and knuckles brings your steering angle back to stock.....but this is ONLY a guess
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:35 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by redsawacs View Post
my guess would be that you can rotate the axle to get a better pinion angle and these 8° C-hubs and knuckles brings your steering angle back to stock.....but this is ONLY a guess
my thoughts as well but the 8* part seems to be the lower pivoting point on the chubs where the knucks mount,

the "clockable" chubs by axial do what your saying, but i still want to know what the 8* does exactly..
Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #6
I wanna be Dave

8 degree all the way
Bananaclip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:27 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananaclip View Post
8 degree all the way
because..?
Attached Images

Last edited by Big Tex; 04-08-2013 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:56 PM   #8
Quarry Creeper

ive just noticed looking at the c-hub pics that they are set at 8 degree so in other words it will set your camber to 8* or push the top of the wheel in at the top.

this thread may help you abit more

http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/vanqu...-knuckles.html

Last edited by boohoo; 04-08-2013 at 03:00 PM.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

I believe 8* is the kingpin inclination. As you turn the tires tilt over in the direction you are turning.

This example is independent front suspension, so don't pay attention to what it does when he compresses it.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-08-2013 at 04:18 PM.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 05:26 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Good info good info.. So that's what "scrub" is? Sweet cuz I have a major scrub problem, lol

Sent from Outerspace Using My iFreeze Ray Gun
Old 04-08-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
RCC Addict

8 deg of caster means that the top ball joint follows the lower one. So when you rotate the pinion up the ball joints will still have positive on them. You never want to run neg caster. Meaning you don't want the lower ball joint following the top ball joint, or you'll have fun steering it. It will steer its self. The more caster you have the more the tire will lean over. There is a point of too much also.

Leaning the tire in on the top is called camber, vp's don't do camber.

Last edited by The Doc; 04-08-2013 at 06:04 PM.
The Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 06:04 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

It's inevitable with 4wd locked differentials that the front tires want to push out instead of grab and turn, but you should be able to minimize it by doing a couple things.

UD and/or OD gears, which I think you have, will reduce the pushing effect.

Clockable c-hubs to clock your steering back independently of the axle (more positive caster). This will give a similar effect to the 8* steering parts.

Toe your tires out some by lengthening your tie rod ("true" or positive ackerman) so that the inside tire is turning sharper than the outside. This helps because the inside tire needs to travel in a tighter circle than the outside, so it makes sense that it should turn sharper as well.
Old 04-08-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
8 deg of caster means that the top ball joint follows the lower one. So when you rotate the pinion up the ball joints will still have positive on them. You never want to run neg caster. Meaning you don't want the lower ball joint following the top ball joint, or you'll have fun steering it. It will steer its self. The more caster you have the more the tire will lean over. There is a point of too much also.

Leaning the tire in on the top is called camber, vp's don't do camber.
The 8* doesn't have anything to do with caster.

The VPs do both camber and caster even if the steering axis were clocked to be perfectly verticle. It's a given amount, depending on the steering angle, created by the kingpin inclination.
Old 04-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post
The 8* doesn't have anything to do with caster.

The VPs do both camber and caster even if the steering axis were clocked to be perfectly verticle. It's a given amount, depending on the steering angle, created by the kingpin inclination.
You say they have nothing to do with caster, well I just read that they have 10 degs of caster. That means there is 10 degs between the top ball joint and the bottom one. That also means the knuckle leans backwards.

Last edited by The Doc; 04-09-2013 at 07:56 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:06 PM   #15
MODERATOR™

VP's reference to 8 degrees is about kingpin inclination. Which is related to reducing tire scrub as you turn.

EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by EeePee View Post
VP's reference to 8 degrees is about kingpin inclination. Which is related to reducing tire scrub as you turn.
Best info yet! Thanks a bunch! Just ordered a set or 8* degree chubs and knucks guys

Old 04-09-2013, 09:35 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doc View Post
You say they have nothing to do with caster, well I just read that they have 10 degs of caster. That means there is 10 degs between the top ball joint and the bottom one. That also means the knuckle leans backwards.

No, I said the 8* has nothing to do with caster. Again, he 8* is the kingpin inclination, which is the fundamental difference between them and the other knuckles/chubs. This is not the same as caster however it does effect caster (as I also mentioned) even if the "balljoins" were perfectly in line.

Even the stock plastic knuckle/chubs have built in caster, as it's pretty much universal between all combos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Creeper View Post
Best info yet! Thanks a bunch! Just ordered a set or 8* degree chubs and knucks guys

Lol, I'm pretty sure I established that yesterday, but heck...I've only been on these forums for a little while so I must have no idea what I'm talking about.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-09-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 04-09-2013, 09:51 PM   #18
RCC Addict

I'm just going to take my football and go home!!
Old 04-10-2013, 07:03 AM   #19
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Fronty4x View Post

No, I said the 8* has nothing to do with caster. Again, he 8* is the kingpin inclination, which is the fundamental difference between them and the other knuckles/chubs. This is not the same as caster however it does effect caster (as I also mentioned) even if the "balljoins" were perfectly in line.

Even the stock plastic knuckle/chubs have built in caster, as it's pretty much universal between all combos.

Lol, I'm pretty sure I established that yesterday, but heck...I've only been on these forums for a little while so I must have no idea what I'm talking about.
I meant the pic lol I'm a simple man with a simple question but your scientific answers are pretty awesome as well