Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dingo Rear Axle issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Dingo Rear Axle issues

Hi,

I am working on a dingo kit... I tried to run it for the first time and I have issues with the rear end.. When I give it throttle, the rear end starts to chatter/jerk/wobble.. Its hard to explain, So I took off the rear drive shaft to insure that it wasnt something to do with the transmission and ran it fine.. I take off the front drive shaft and run it and it does it... So I took off the tires on the rear and ran it... It was fine...

I have no idea what it is, I tore it apart and didnt see anything wrong. Any ideas?

I did notice that the plastic shells are a little warped.. not sure if that is what is causing this?
Huber1918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-08-2013, 10:33 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Pics would help

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
sidehiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Default Re: Dingo Rear Axle issues

I can get a video but it will take awhile for it to upload...
Old 04-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #4
RMK
Quarry Creeper

What speed/throttle position is the chattering/wobbling happening at? Is the rear driveshaft splined correctly? Cuz if it is not, that will cause vibration issues. How bad is the wobbling and chattering? The "shells" axle housing will have a bend to them. It happens. Do you feel any grinding or tightness in the ring and pinion when rotating them by hand? Does it still do it if you give it throttle when the wheels and tires are removed?
RMK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 10:56 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMK View Post
What speed/throttle position is the chattering/wobbling happening at? Is the rear driveshaft splined correctly? Cuz if it is not, that will cause vibration issues. How bad is the wobbling and chattering? The "shells" axle housing will have a bend to them. It happens. Do you feel any grinding or tightness in the ring and pinion when rotating them by hand? Does it still do it if you give it throttle when the wheels and tires are removed?
It does it only anything over half throttle WITH the tires on. If the tires are off it is fine, If I spin them by hand they are fine no grinding or anything..

Axial Dingo Rear end issues - YouTube
Old 04-09-2013, 01:31 AM   #6

Try checking the length of the upper rear links. I had a similar issue where under load the driveshaft would bind a bit. Check the angle of the pinion and make sure it's not pointing downward or close to 90*. If you are looking at the rear end from either side, driver or passenger, look at the angle of the rear output shaft where the driveshaft connects to the rear end. It should point a little upward. If its pointing down, try lengthening the upper link ball ends to bring the angle up a bit.
Hope that helps!

Just noticed your video. Not sure if my comment will matter but it's worth a look. Can you post a photo of the driveshaft angle in the rear?

Last edited by wakeside; 04-09-2013 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Added info
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:51 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I just had this problem and never found out why axial just had me send it in and they sent 2x 2s lipos and a RTR honcho

I clocked the axles
lined up notches on the drive-shafts

Last edited by Ohioskills; 04-09-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 09:11 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

I was running a 55T motor and my Dingo ran smooth. I just swapped in a 27T Axial and it started behaving exactly like yours. I need to lengthen my upper links to improve the driveshaft/pinion angle like Wakeside suggested and see if it improves.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:00 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

It is running the stock upper links.. What would be the best option to add length to them?
Old 04-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #10

IIRC, the stock uppers are plastic right? The only real option there is to either make them or buy the link upgrade.
Did you check the angle of the pinion to see if its pointing towards the ground or not?
If Debonair had a similar issue after changing the motor, Im not certain its a link length issue.
Have you also tried to email axial support? I've heard mixed results from their customer support but I've also heard of some stories where they simply replaced the whole setup for some customers.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:36 PM   #11
Quarry Creeper

The 27T moves my Dingo way faster then the 55T (obviously) so the issue was probably there the whole time, I was just too slow to know. I have custom uppers so I am going to lengthen them and see if it helps. After that maybe I go to Axial.

Between this and the smoked ESC i think my Dingo hates me.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:37 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

as long as you've installed the correct links for the kit, in the correct places - there shouldn't be any driveshaft issues. in your video, you have 2 different tires going on the rig - is it happening with both sets when bolted down? where are your axle housings warped at? lastly, approximately how much runtime total has this rig seen?
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
Rock Stacker

I figured it out... It was the pinon pointing at the ground. What i did was add washers to the end of the stock link and that forced it up and now it is working perfectly fine..
Old 04-09-2013, 08:38 PM   #14

That's great news man! I'm glad you got it sorted out. Like perk said, you shouldn't have had the issue to begin with but you never know. Maybe you have a part in the wrong place? Either way, good news.
@debonair, when you get setup, let me know so we can crawl penitencia sometime or pm me when you are good to go.
Old 04-09-2013, 11:37 PM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huber1918 View Post
I figured it out... It was the pinon pointing at the ground. What i did was add washers to the end of the stock link and that forced it up and now it is working perfectly fine..
Awesome! I want to spend some time on mine tomorrow and get it sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeside View Post
@debonair, when you get setup, let me know so we can crawl penitencia sometime or pm me when you are good to go.
For sure.

Dingo Rear Axle issues - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rear differential issues? Kanine38 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 18 05-18-2010 05:48 PM
issues with rear axle build slegh Tamiya TLT Crawlers 6 06-02-2008 08:57 AM