Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: damn this front bumper

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #1

Talking damn this front bumper

hi all lobojones here. got my honcho the other day , got my 5000mah today. been waterproofing recently , did all the elecs and put em in a box i mounted above motor and trans and drove it. christ this battery wont die. this thing got me smilin watchin it crawl on rocks and stuff , big change from my t4 or t3. lovin it . got plans for the honcho , mainly f@*# this front bumper and the mount it rode in on . i shaved down the stupid battery mount crossmember deal so the steering link wont rub . im going to address issues as they arise or change stuff to get about better , or replace broken stuff i got deans connectors for the esc gotta solder em on running a adapter right now. i wanna move to 100mm shocks and keep the 1.9 size rim probly grab some axial black eight holes and run the ripsaws , they seem to work. ive been running through the forum for a week or two getting ideas and tips. you guys are great. and now i have two strange questions has anyone ever "fastened screen to the motor vents to keep larger debris from entering ? and the dimensions of most of the short course bodies are about the same as our scalers has anyone ever used one ? for a example a slash or something like that. proline has a short course tundra body that looks like some mad max stuff thought it was kinda interesting obviously not 1:1 lookalike but who knows. ill get pictures up but one of my damn dogs chewed the crap outta my phone will have new one soon , its in the mail , and i gotta charge the battery in my digi . nice to meet you all and to all a good night (where it applies)
lobojones is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 09:58 PM   #2

Default Re: damn this front bumper

oh and has anyone ever flipped the motor and trans up on a tilt to align the drive shaft down the center of the frame so its not at an angle? the mount for this would look like a wedge just a random thought , i have strange thoughts sometimes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
RCC Addict

What is it about the bumper that you dont like? I just ordered a honcho bumper and I'm going to be making my dingo into a honcho....I would love to know if there is something I need to consider.

Welcome to the addiction! "First one is free" LOL! So yea, a 5000 mah battery will last 2-3 days in these things! HAHA! Good luck draining yours
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #4

the honcho bumper sticks out too far for my liking and at full steer , compressed , tire contacts slightly. thats all. but i do not like how the bumper mount flexes all crazy either. so thats all im really saying. am i too picky? lol. im kinda thinking along the lines of the narrow proline bumpers and some aluminum bumper mounts as far as that issue is concerned.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:52 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Check out the rc4wd stinger bumpers. Your tires won't hit those. Great approach angle. And they're all steel including the mounts do no flex and adds weight up front where needed.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2
heinie_21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:11 AM   #6

yeah i hear you on the stinger. im just not too hot on the tube bumpers maybe i havent seen the right one yet . and the mount is the flexy item so as long as that thing goes im happy. i like how the prolines come with shackles . anyone got these bumpers can tell me what they think of them. having used them of course.
Old 04-13-2013, 12:32 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

I agree with you 100% on the Honcho bumper. By the time I replaced mine, I had it cut down to just a stinger and it still sucked. I got a RCRockArmor for mine. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have shackles. Comes with a very nice aluminum mount that will not flex, though! LEDs fit in it nicely and it's virtually indestructible!
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 12:46 AM   #8

rcrockarmor are those the aluminum ones i think i was just looking at those yeah wish they had shackles too lol oh well those do look good though
Old 04-13-2013, 06:43 AM   #9
Pebble Pounder

Biggest problem imho with the bumper - aside from how big and in the way it is - is actually the mounting location. May not be of help to you, but I installed a Jevne Racing plate for battery and electronics relocation (which is awesome), and securely mounted the shorty Poison Spyder JK bumper to that. This still provides good front-end protection, and does wonders for clearance and approach angle.
Cr00zah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 08:26 AM   #10
RCC Addict

Pictures or none of this really happened! LOL
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 09:18 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lobojones View Post
rcrockarmor are those the aluminum ones i think i was just looking at those yeah wish they had shackles too lol oh well those do look good though
Yep. This is the one I got: AXIAL SCX10 Shield bumper for 8274 quick sand winch

I see they also sell the mount by itself, now. I might have to get one just for a frame stiffener!
KJ10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
RCC Addict

ditch the stock bumper and make a new one. problem solved
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:40 PM   #13

i have a block of aluminum and am cutting into it right now. then gonna shape it and whatnot. gonna buy aluminum bumper mount and mount the d.i.y. bumper with two bolts extra sturdy style. pics when ive got my new phone (see original post for explaination) or i get un-lazy... also when i receive bumper mounts
Old 04-13-2013, 11:48 PM   #14

and on second thought may try to make own separate mount out of excess aluminum lol
Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 PM   #15

I like the Honcho front bumper with lights. I wanted a front bumper to accommodate a winch on the Honcho so changed it but when I bought a Rubicon the other day I decided to use the Honcho bumper on the Rubicon so I would have lights. Like you I didn't like the flexing so took a spare "Y" link and attached it to the inside front shock mount on either side, moved the shocks to the center hole, made a tapered spacer, ( the "Y" like was a few mills short of reaching the center skid plate) drilled the center aluminum skid plate on the bumper and attached it to the plate with the tapered spacer and a screw. Worked out really well and now the bumper is rock solid. Of course if you don' like the bumper to begin with this solution is of no value to you. Love these trucks and tinkering with them
Regards, Moe
moejean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:17 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I spent months pondering ideas for a front bumper for my SCX10 Cherokee build. I am trying to replicate my 1:1 rig that you see in my avatar, and finally decided the Dingo front bumper was going to be the closest to my real one. So I sawed off the push bars, and filled in the light holes with Bondo as well as the whole back of the bumper, and also layed bondo over the front surfaces to strengthen it. So now I have a solid bumper that doesn't flex at all that looks darn close to my 1:1. I'm in the process now of sanding it all smooth. When that's done I need to re-drill new holes for the winch. When I get it painted up Ill post some pics here. I'm screwing mine down on top of my AJ's Machine SCX front bumper mount to get the whole bumper up higher where it should be. In its stock form the Axial bumper was just too flimsy for my taste, the mounting method didn't bother me much though.

Chris
cloudswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote

damn this front bumper - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tired of Damn Low Honcho Bumper?! alexchen86 Axial SCX-10 18 04-01-2012 07:55 PM
new front bumper for my Xj matt_22 General Scale Talk 11 02-24-2012 08:58 AM