Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Help me find the problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2013, 11:09 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Help me find the problem?

Im not sure how to explain it,but the front wheels when they spin seem to bind a lil maybe? I noticed while it was running on my living room it had a little bounce to it,so I started taken off the front axle and seen the one bearing was kinda beat "I took it in the water a few times" so I thought it was that cleaned and greased the bearings,put it back together,Still doin it. So I took the axle completely off and apart to inspect the gears,they seemed fine,No broken or chipped teeth,the axle rods are in good shape,greased it all up and put it back together,turned smooth by hand. Put it all back together and still runs funky.
I didnt take apart the tranny,because it looks like if a gear was stripped or broken teeth both front and rear would be effected? The drive shaft going to the front also looks good,no play,I also put some grease in the U-joint area but still no luck,What do you think the problem is? The truck is only a few days old and doesnt even have 1 full lipo ran through it.
ProfitOfDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2013, 11:21 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: Help me find the problem?

can you post up a small video?

are you sure its in the front end? Have you disconnected the front drive shaft and drove it to see if that changes anything?? have you looked at the "Dog-bones" to see if they are wearing excessively? Did you discover this issue after drinking a beer?
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:28 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

lol,Yes Im on my 4th summer shandy but this is real!
The front has no slip or rear for that matter,it still climbs with no clicking or grinding. Maybe a bad bearing in the tranny?
I'll see if I can catch it on video,and post it.
Old 04-12-2013, 11:34 PM   #4
RCC Addict

My wife will kill me if she knows summer shandy is out and I havent stocked the fridge for her!!!
redsawacs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:49 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

Yea,I love the shandy!
My vid is half way uploaded,but im thinking its my drive shaft. I took it off by the front of the tranny and it seem to smooth out. Slid off that section of drive shaft and held it at a angle and turned it and did seem to bind up a bit,But oddly enough there is no play in it. I guess we can see if the vid comes out decent if you can spot something but does this sound like a common problem?
Old 04-13-2013, 12:20 AM   #6
Pebble Pounder

heres the vid,,,surprised the video looks this crappy on my iphone :( but you can hear more than see... scx10 problem - YouTube
Old 04-13-2013, 12:28 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Check this thread out, you may only have to index the drive shaft. I know if mine are not indexed they will hop at low speed.

SCX10 axle chatter [Archive] - Ultimate RC Forums
Grundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 01:06 AM   #8
Pebble Pounder

That was it!!! Thank You Grundy!
Who would have thought! Smooth as Butta now! Thanks again
Old 04-13-2013, 06:12 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

drive shaft is binding adjust ur angle and see if that helps
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 03:53 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark32 View Post
drive shaft is binding adjust ur angle and see if that helps
agreed, clock the axle a little
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 10:19 PM   #11
Pebble Pounder

How would I go about adjusting the angle? Im assuming you mean lower it so the drive shafts arent at such a angle? Move the shocks to one of the other holes?
Old 04-13-2013, 10:38 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Does it have the wye upper links? If so you can just put a spacer between the link and the mount to clock the axle slightly. I had to do this on my new dingo kit when I got it and it was the rear but seemed like the front was binding. Hope that all made sense I'm pretty tired lol.
JBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 11:52 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

It doesnt look like there is much options to move the links up or down? The bottom are bolted in with the shocks to the axle,and the upper are bolted in on top of the axle. The problem I had was corrected with aligning the drive shaft marks,but im curious if these shafts can be set at different angles from stock? I mean I think the drive shafts are set at a extreme angle,but seem to work ok,and this is how it came stock. But I seen those lift kits and was thinking about getting one,but if this was raised Any I dont think the drive shafts would rotate?
Old 04-14-2013, 02:35 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I have this chatter but on the rear. :( Watching what resolves is for you closely.

How do you index the drive shafts?
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

I would next check like others have said, looks like your shaft angles are a little high, your kit should have come with several different spacers, take apart your front links and put in the spacers between the link and rod end, see if this helps
Dgrouchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 06:03 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

do the upper links add a spacer if ur running the y link take the bolt out where it connects at the axle slide ur spacer in and put the bolt back in. this should clock ur axle forward and u will have to pull ur servo off to do this ur instructions have it in there if not go to axialracing.com they have instructions there. then let us know if this cures it.
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:15 AM   #17

you dont need to change the location of the links or the shocks. You need to add spacers "shims/washers" to the upper link. Which will cause the pinion at the diff to rotate upwards. This is what we call clocking your axle. Your driveshaft is binding for sure. I've had to adjust everyone one of my axial rtr trucks for that very reason.
jakester79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
I have this chatter but on the rear. :( Watching what resolves is for you closely.

How do you index the drive shafts?

You need to add length to upper links, causing the axle to roll the pinion upwards, decreasing the angle of the joint.
jakester79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 09:56 PM   #19
Pebble Pounder

I finally got around to clocking the axles a bit,,the front was real easy removed the spacer and added one double its size and it was perfect,,but im kinda lost on the rear. The front has a Y link and you can just add a spacer and screw it together,the rear has 2 links that bolt into the axle. All the spare links in the bag are all the same and shorter then whats on,which would clock it the wrong way. Am I missing something here,or is the only way to do this is to buy some optional links?
Old 04-20-2013, 12:02 AM   #20
Quarry Creeper

You can make your own links, which I highly recommend . Search the forums for "How to make your own links" or something similar and you can see how it is done. You can make all the links (front/rear/steering) for about 30 dollars. And they will be stronger than what you can buy for twice to three times the price. And when you make the links you can decide exactly where you want your axles clocked. I run my rear bottom and upper links the same length and it clocks the rear axle perfectly to give the pinion to the tranny a straight shot. Good luck in whatever you decide.
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote

Help me find the problem? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Problem with Tekin RS system in my LCC, will a BEC fix my problem? rcboy514 Electronics 3 01-12-2012 05:55 PM
Tekin Problem or Radio Problem? Harvo Electronics 8 07-30-2010 06:02 AM
Little bit of a problem, Possibly big problem... C_Money Electronics 11 03-08-2010 05:49 PM
Charger problem or power problem? Rockfrog Electronics 4 10-09-2009 01:10 PM
* Problem * Clicking Problem on my 1/18th clodman General Crawlers 6 04-08-2006 08:40 AM