Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Another RTR, another full build...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2013, 02:35 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Another RTR, another full build...

As implied, I have acquired another RTR Trail Honcho and have discarded the majority of its stock parts. The main difference is this is being built over my deployment to Kuwait, where there is quite a bit of crawling even though it is a desert. This one was purchased second hand with very little run time from a friend that thought he would get into crawling with it. Well, here is the pictorial transformation.
Bone stock:

And stock parts being removed:

I am selling all of the stock parts to a friend that will build another truck out of them:

I had a spare Novak Timbuk 2 13.5 system, so I figured it would work great with this chassis:

The wiring is a bit of a mess, but this is only a temporary set up until more parts arrive:

The previous owner included the alloy upgrade suspension kit so this was the perfect time to install it:

I also converted it to CMS by mounting a spare Wraith servo plate to the inside of the chassis:

One of the items in the first big parts order was RC4WD's 2 speed transmission:

Along with their Delrin skidplate for the SCX 10 to use this trans:

Close up of the trans and the chassis going back together:

Ready for testing:

Since I am obsessed with the 6th Generation F-series (1973-1979) I thought the combination of two HPI 1979 F-150's would be the perfect choice in bodies. Not to mention I own a 1979 F-250 as well. I used the standard cab for the Savage and the long bed from the E-Maxx/Savage XL:

Poser shot:

One more and I'm done:

Now that's out of the way, I felt an interior was necessary. Dinky RC makes a direct fit interior for the Trail Honcho. WIth a bit of trimming, I made it fir my truck:

Ra's Al Gul is about to Go HAM:

Rear view showing his zip tie seat belts. Fairly safe, right?

I had to relocate the shift servo to clear the interior and did so by making brackets out of plate aluminum:

I also made from extensions to get the trailer hitch out to the bumper:

I also revised my CMS set up and made brackets to attach it the battery tray. I mounted the battery tray directly to the crossmembers to lower the CG:

Side view, also showing the plate I made out sheet styrene on top of the body posts and used velcro to hold the body on instead body pins:

tcanin00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Another RTR, another full build...

More parts arrived, and I had to install them frantically:

First was the tire and wheel combination, RC4WD 1.7's that look like Pro Comp Style 52's and their 1.7 Interco IROKS:

Then it was time to take it back apart and replace the axles. Here is the new front truss:

For the new K44 axle set:

I made steering linkage out of smaller diameter aluminum rod so it would be closer to scale. I will paint all of the fabricated parts once I am through making them:

More poser shots:

I will have to add spacers to the upper links to correct pinion angle and center the wheels in the fenders:

Rear axle replaced:

I decided to install the interior after all of this:

Before taping it in, I made a new rear window out of clear lexan because HPI molded a panel in the original to cut out if using on a nitro truck:

More glamor shots. I did notice the front doesn't have as much flex as the rear, especially on the driver's side. I think the crossover steering is binding it up:

Even though this looks like a shelf display it has been used quite a bit, just not with the new parts. I will get some action shots in crawling spots here.
I will build a drop box for the bed, and I am thinking about converting it to leaf springs to be more realistic. I know I will lose articulation, but that's not a big deal since this is a scale version of my actual truck. I also have a modded Wraith to Go HAM with.
Old 04-19-2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Really great work there! Can't wait to see more!

I love the handgun laying around on your benchtop....

Last edited by Demodude; 04-19-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:18 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Not really a ford fan, but that truck look's great. Nicely done. How do you like those axels so far?
urnot2brightru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

I'm building axial scx10 with a 79 ford body too. Can't wait to see more!
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:45 PM   #6
RCC Addict

Why did you start with a RTR? You could have just bought a frame with everything you've replaced. ;) Great work BTW.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 05:56 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Looking good, I like the K44, how do you like them so far?
french_connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 01:54 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
Really great work there! Can't wait to see more!

I love the handgun laying around on your benchtop....
Thanks Demondude! I will continue to add pics as I make more progress. The handgun is not real, its a C02 powered airsoft 1911. I also have an electric M4 airsoft rifle. They are great to practice with over here.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:04 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by urnot2bright ru View Post
Not really a ford fan, but that truck look's great. Nicely done. How do you like those axels so far?
Thanks urnot2bright ru! To be honest, I am not a Ford loyalist but I really like the body style of this era of trucks.
The axles are excellent. They seemed a bit "notchy" at first, like they were not greased. I took the diff covers off and they were greased. I think its play in the pinion gear and I'm sure it could be shimmed up. That doesn't seem to affect them with as little as I have ran it. I plan to get some more run time on to check them out. I will say the steering angle is phenomenal. They have CVD's and rotate smoothly at full lock. A bit pricey but worth it in my opinion.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:07 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
Why did you start with a RTR? You could have just bought a frame with everything you've replaced. ;) Great work BTW.
I thought about that too, cephas. I bought the RTR because it was here and more or less on impulse since I was planning a scale build anyway. Not cost effective since I replaced nearly everything. The good news is that I have the stock parts sold to a friend here that ordered the chassis to rebuild it.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:10 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by french_connection View Post
Looking good, I like the K44, how do you like them so far?
Like I told urnot2bright ru, they are great axles and are worth the money for both scale appearance and performance. The steering angles are greatly improved since they use CVD's. They seem to have some play in the pinion shaft, which could be shimmed up if it causes problems. I will run them a bit more and see if that needs to be done.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:11 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79SCX10 View Post
I'm building axial scx10 with a 79 ford body too. Can't wait to see more!
I'll have to check out your build, 79SCX10.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:55 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
I'll have to check out your build, 79SCX10.
I don't have a build thread, but I can send you pictures of it when it's done
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:24 PM   #14

Fords suck LOL, but nice lookin' rig. i've got a set of IROK 1.9s & i love 'em. nice build!!!
dlm7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:27 PM   #15
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcanin00 View Post
I thought about that too, cephas. I bought the RTR because it was here and more or less on impulse since I was planning a scale build anyway. Not cost effective since I replaced nearly everything. The good news is that I have the stock parts sold to a friend here that ordered the chassis to rebuild it.
Who will then replace said parts like you did.

I was just giving you grief. All of my rigs have started off RTR. I love working on them, I've just been to impatient to start with a kit.
TheScaleAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:35 AM   #16
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79SCX10 View Post
I don't have a build thread, but I can send you pictures of it when it's done
That would be great, I would like to see it.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlm7 View Post
Fords suck LOL, but nice lookin' rig. i've got a set of IROK 1.9s & i love 'em. nice build!!!
I figured someone would have to say it, and it might as well be you. The IROKS are great tires. I have a set of 2.2's on my Wraith and perform really well. I'm going to cut the foams like I did for the 2.2's. I feel that will help them dig in better.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by cephas View Post
Who will then replace said parts like you did.

I was just giving you grief. All of my rigs have started off RTR. I love working on them, I've just been to impatient to start with a kit.
I've already shown the guy all of the websites I order form so he can have a fortune invested in the truck the way its supposed to be. My Wraith is the only kit that I've built, everything else has started as an RTR or random parts that I pieced back together. Check out another one my builds on here "SCX 10/Wraith Hybrid." I actually started with an SCX 10 frame and built a Monster Truck around it. I'm still working on it and hope to get it done while I'm here.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #19
Quarry Creeper

Its been awhile since I've updated this, so here it is. I cannibalized the two speed trans and skid plate to use on another build. I put the stock trans and skid plate back where they belong and ordered new RC4WD driveshafts. While I wait for those and other parts, I figured I would get some pics of the truck in action. We actually have five really good wheeling spots relatively close to each other. The one spot where all of these pics came from was built by us in the infield of a SCT track that was already here. Its set up mostly for scale crawling, so that I could go out with this truck and not scratch it up by rolling it 20 times down a steep hill.
First pic shows my truck trailering my friend Ed's nitro Red Cat Racing Volcano SV 30. Not a good night for, let's just say it was a good thing I brought the trailer:

The course is laid out using a pallet bridge as the entrance, then a rock descent, making a turn to the next climb, then to a bridge made out of an old ladder, another rock descent, and a final loose rock pile:

Ed is on the right with his car sitting broken on the pallet, while my friend Ross and his Wraith are on the left.
This is a close up of the rock descent from the pallet to the next climb:

My SCX-10 on the descent:

Making its way up the climb to the next bridge:

There is also an obstacle on the bridge, so that its not just a simple drive across the bridge:

Ross's Wraith making it up much easier:

Exiting the bridge:

The antagonistic Wraith:

And over the final obstacle:

Ross added a set of Dirty Danglers to his Wraith:

I'm sure this will get more interesting when my friend Matt rebuilds the SCX-10 from all of my spare parts. We will add to the course with more broken pieces of concrete that are within a "carriable" distance.
Old 05-17-2013, 02:59 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

I haven't been doing much building or crawling with this truck recently. T be honest, I am a bit tired of constantly making more work for myself instead enjoying the finished project. That being said, I have decided to change this truck up a bit. I am thinking about shortening the wheelbase, and using a different Ford truck body to make a 1979 Bronco out of. I have ordered a set of Pro Line 1.9 TSL's and Gmade beadlock wheels that look like stock steel wheels.
While I am waiting for parts, I towed a jet to the airfield for its maiden voyage:

It was too windy for my friend to fly that day. After that I decided I would make a new bumper with a winch mount, since I have a spare winch:

Side view:

This is the winch, an Integy steel cable unit with a wireless control:

I removed its mounting plate and mounted it directly to the new bracket I made for it:

I had to move it over for clearance:

Here it is installed:

This is as far as I have gotten. I will make the bumper once the new tires get here.

Another RTR, another full build... - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
full option rtr wraith crockins Axial Wraith 15 04-09-2013 05:37 PM
My Full Build SoFar.... Spoon-Man Losi Mini-Rock Crawler 16 11-14-2012 03:16 AM
my first full scale build... chevy 3+3 rockrigcustoms 1.9 Scale Rigs 65 04-24-2012 08:24 PM
The Build Video - Full Build On YouTube motorider420 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 15 09-29-2008 03:36 PM
Another BB-51 but my first full build... NitroRC Ed 2.2 Scale Rigs 26 02-27-2007 11:25 AM