Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: derb's SCX10

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 07:57 PM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default derb's SCX10

Chassis/Body:
Axial SCX10
Axial War Wagon Shell
Ty custom front bumper

Electronics:
Holmes Hobbies BR-SL ESC [plastidipped]
Castle 10A BEC @ 7.4v [plastidipped]
FlySky GT3B transmitter & GR3C 3-channel receiver
Zippy Compact 850mah 3s LiPo x3

Drivetrain:
Holmes Hobbies TorqueMaster Expert 35t motor
Mirrored transmission
Robinson Racing Hardened Steel Idler Gear
Robinson Racing One Piece Hardened Steel Outdrive/Diff Locker Gear
Robinson Racing GEN3 Slipper Unit, 88t steel spur gear
Robinson Racing 16t steel pinion gear
JunFac carbon steel driveshafts
Axial 36t/14t 'overdrive' front diff gears
Axial 43t/13t 'underdrive' rear diff gears

Steering:
Hitec HS-7950TH servo @ 7.4v
Integy clamp-type servo horn
Hot Racing high clearance alloy knuckles
Axial alloy c-hubs
Vanquish VVDs

Suspension:
Traxxas BigBore shocks, Losi Mini-T springs [medium front, soft rear], 30w oil, CI delrin spring cups
Junfac shock tower braces, front and rear
Custom bent alloy upper and lower 4-links, front and rear

Wheels/Tyres:
Vanquish OMF all-alloy 1.9" beadlock rims
ProLine 1.9" TSL Super Swamper XL tyres, G8 compound
Crawler Innovations 4.5" foams, soft fronts/medium rears
Blue Monkey 68g knuckle weights.

Last edited by derb; 09-19-2013 at 04:56 PM.
derb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-21-2013, 07:58 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: derb's SCX10

This is my new Class 2 rig and first Axial rig that I recently bought off a mate. Ran it on the weekend in the local comp and came 6th out of 13 which I'm more than happy with. The only drive time was 30secs the night before in someone's garage just to test the receiver out and make sure it moved and steered. Overall I'm very happy with how it handles and performs.

Mods planned are to downgrade the pinion to the 16t steel version as it's very fast at the moment and I'm used to using half the trigger pull or more to crawl. I had to feather touch the throttle in the comp to keep it nice and slow. Also I want to change the servo mount as it's slightly off centre and somewhat fouls the chassis rails which can limit the articulation. I also want to get a set of Pitbull Rock Beast tyres and change the shell to the GMC TopKick from Proline if I can find one.

I'll get some decent pics up soon.
Old 04-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

What kind of light bar do you have?
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:27 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

This one, http://store.rc4wd.com/110-High-Perf...ar_p_2476.html. It's seriously powerful, but it will be coming off real soon as I almost never drive at night and it held me up in some tight spots in the comp. Plus it doesn't really suit the style of the shell.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:30 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by derb View Post
This one, 1/10 High Performance LED Light Bar. It's seriously powerful, but it will be coming off real soon as I almost never drive at night and it held me up in some tight spots in the comp. Plus it doesn't really suit the style of the shell.
Ok, Thanks
79SCX10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Upgrade time! Got some new Traxxas BigBore shocks, new Losi mini-t springs and bent links meant for the AX10. Filled the shocks with 25w silicon Losi shock oil and put the pink [soft] springs on the rear and the red [medium] ones up front. The front bent links fit perfectly, but I had to add a 7mm spacer in the rear ones to keep my wheelbase the same. I also have my new Proline Top Kick shell cut out and will be grabbing some paint this afternoon.

Old 06-08-2013, 05:29 AM   #7
Rock Crawler

There have been a few changes since the last update. I've finally got my Top Kick shell painted and mounted. Shocks are now running 45w oil, have been laid down a little more and both tower braces are installed. I changed all rod ends over to Traxxas ends with nice steel balls. Tweaked the steering a little and have it pretty much maxed out now. And I got a new Holmes Hobbies motor that is fantastic, smooth as butter and very responsive. Anyway, time for pics!

Old 06-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

looks good with top kick body
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 03:07 PM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I know that 7S wheels
nersik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 06:46 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

Official unveiling of the new shell and a few mods. Shell is an Axial War Wagon, champagne flake backed with gunmetal grey and flat clear on the outside over the tray and bonnet protrusion for a matte/textured effect. Massive thanks to my mate Alan for the expert paint job. It will cop a little trimming of arches tonight but I wanted to get pics as it stands now.

I killed the HS-5646WP, stripped 3 teeth off one of the gears, so now it has a brand new Hitec 7950TH servo giving me 35kg of torque @ 7.4v and a very nice set of custom bent links from a local guy Greg. These were made custom and both upper and lowers are bent so they don't foul each other. I'm really pleased with them because at full compression, they line up perfectly with the driveshafts.

Coming Soon: Holmes Hobbies BR-SL [bare bones BR-XL], Proline Super Swamper XL tyres, new Crawler Innovations foams and a faux radiator to be put in the big hole in the tray. Maybe even some rims if I can somehow justify spending the kind of cash needed for a really nice set.

Old 08-10-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Rock Crawler

Splashed out on some new rims. Vanquish Products OMF 1.9" rims, gunmetal rear and front rings, black Phase 5 beadlock rings. These things are just gorgeous and the highest quality I've seen in wheels. They are also much lighter than the old rims so I've put 60g each in the fronts. A couple quick pics.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #12

Love that gunmetal gray.
Wildog is offline   Reply With Quote

derb's SCX10 - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need width of scx10 axles with 650 SLW hubs and/or 750? Pondering wraith vs scx10. Desert Rc General Scale Talk 6 06-25-2012 05:28 PM
Will SCX10 Honcho Kit Parts Fit on Older SCX10? alexchen86 1.9 Scale Rigs 4 12-23-2009 03:56 PM