RCCrawler Forums

RCCrawler Forums (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/)
-   Axial SCX-10 (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/)
-   -   Rubicon kit VS RTR - input appreciated (http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/axial-scx-10/441109-rubicon-kit-vs-rtr-input-appreciated.html)

fl0w3n 04-22-2013 01:22 PM

Rubicon kit VS RTR - input appreciated

I'm going to be grabbing either the RTR or Kit version of the Rubicon soon, but I first would like some input.

I want the kit because I'd like to build the kit, but I have no electronics for it, so I'd be buying those new as well.

My question is, can I still get equal or better quality/performance electronics without exceeding the price of the RTR? If so, could I get some recommendation as to what brands and models to look at?

Its been many many years since I've been into RC cars, so just to recap, I'd need the following if I were to get the kit;
Motor
ESC
Radio/controller
Gear oil
Glue of some sort I assume
Do I need servos too?

If the extra supplies needed for me to get the Kit is a bit more than the RTR then I'll just settle for the RTR.
I can go on various web sites and it looks like I can buy electronics for the same price as the difference between Kit and RTR, but like I said its been years for me so I don't know what the quality of these electronics would be at that price point and if they are even well suited for a rock crawler

johnnyh66 04-22-2013 01:24 PM

Re: Rubicon kit VS RTR - input appreciated

don't really need glue (unless you have to glue the tires to wheels) and yes, you will need a servo.

buddamonk 04-22-2013 01:32 PM

By the end of the day it all depends on your budget. If you go for the kit,you ll need a servo,battery,ESC and motor. Depends on if you also need to get a rx and tx.

I bought the RTR as a start and then slowly upgraded the parts i needed or wanted to upgrade. You can also just modify some of the things for free.

So i d say just look at your budget first.

shishcabobers 04-22-2013 01:40 PM

I started with the rtr, it was nice not having to figure out the electronics because I knew nothing as far as crawling goes which are great to start with for me. I'm still running it with no problems other then wear and tear. The only upgrade that i feel is essential is upgrading the links to metal and those could be made for under $20 if you have the tools. Other than that you should be good for awhile.

fl0w3n 04-22-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnyh66 (Post 4289631)
don't really need glue (unless you have to glue the tires to wheels) and yes, you will need a servo.

Thanks for clarifying that.
Quote:

Originally Posted by buddamonk (Post 4289643)
By the end of the day it all depends on your budget. If you go for the kit,you ll need a servo,battery,ESC and motor. Depends on if you also need to get a rx and tx.

I bought the RTR as a start and then slowly upgraded the parts i needed or wanted to upgrade. You can also just modify some of the things for free.

So i d say just look at your budget first.

I'd like to keep my budget as low as possible right now haha. I've got too many expensive hobbies already.

I forgot about the battery and a charger, thanks for pointing that out. Does the RTR come with a battery charger?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shishcabobers (Post 4289658)
I started with the rtr, it was nice not having to figure out the electronics because I knew nothing as far as crawling goes which are great to start with for me. I'm still running it with no problems other then wear and tear. The only upgrade that i feel is essential is upgrading the links to metal and those could be made for under $20 if you have the tools. Other than that you should be good for awhile.

I likely have the tools necessary to make my own links, so I'll look into that. Thanks.

My main reason for wanting to do the Kit is not really upgrades or to make it better than the RTR right off the bat, it's just because I enjoy building things and I think it'd be good to know how every part went together and really get to know my rig well. That's all.

So it seems like going Kit will actually be more expensive, sadly.

fl0w3n 04-22-2013 01:57 PM

Oh, and buddamonk, what is RX vs TX? I don't know what either of those mean.

MikeJordan 04-22-2013 02:07 PM

I too had this same question and after extensive research and awesome feedback from other members on here I went with the RTR. But first I built a spreadsheet and did comparisions with every part I thought I would need to upgrade and pro's and to Kit and RTR and all costs associated. The RTR had more value to me because I didn't have the cash to upgrade the motor and ESC right away, and it allowed me to get on the trails ASAP with my son. Also, I didn't feel like messing with painting and putting the body together. I have chosen to upgrade the shocks to gmade piggybacks, all metal links(VP), high torque servo, VP c-hubs, knuckles, and lockers, and finally MIP driveshafts. So get your battery moved forward and away you go for hours of fun. Good luck and happy trails.

Shinjari 04-22-2013 02:08 PM

RX/TX is radio transmitter and receiver.

With a limited budget get the RTR. its ridiculously capable right out of the box. The kit you get the benefit of learning the rig by building it, but whos to stop you from taking apart the rtr, I would definitely take it apart and relube everything since I dont trust the factory because Im OCD. ALso the kit just has some shiny parts that you could upgrade to later.

With the rtr all you need is a battery and charger and you're ready to go.

Kit you need : servo, radio/receiver, battery, charger, paint so you'll be much higher cost wise in the end.

=)

KauseKaos 04-22-2013 02:10 PM

I bought the kit and my friend bought the RTR. only real differences besides no electronics were I got aliuminun lower links, shocks and the lexan hard top. I couldnt really see any others. I just wanted to build it so that why I went that route, and it makes it easier imo when it come times to work on it since you put it together.

buddamonk 04-22-2013 02:19 PM

Rtr doesnt come with charger or battery. But those dont cost the world.what i can tell you from experience,dont buy low budget stuff.if you wanna buy something then buy something you would feel comfortable with for the next few years.

When it comes to budget, get yourself the RTR and then slowly upgrade things you want. The Kit for a start is very expensive and if you dont have the rights tools for the assembly, you might need to add those on your shopping list also.

fl0w3n 04-22-2013 03:25 PM

A lot of great input guys, thanks.

Looks like I'll just get the RTR, and learn its ins and outs as I go along by repairing and upgrading.

I've definitely got all the tools needed to work on it, and likely even enough to make my own from scratch, but I'll start simple.

Look forward to sharing my rig.

Thank you all.

smokediver 04-22-2013 03:28 PM

I went RTR this time mainly because I need the electronics for my son and daughters builds. I have put together 2 other SCX 10 kits before.
I made my own links with 8/32 all thread and brake line sleeves. Had a few sets of knuckles and c-hubs in my parts box for the upgrades.
I so suggest that you pull apart the axles and trans to relube them. They were pretty dry for my tastes.
It sounds like a RTR will be best to get started with and change the parts as they break or just because you want more bling.

ProfitOfDoom 04-22-2013 04:29 PM

Sounds like your new to the hobby,I would suggest you go with the rtr as well. The electronics that come with it are pretty decent and you dont have to bother with painting the body and gathering up some electronics and installing everything.
It might come with some better parts in the kit,,but its nothing you cant make or buy at another time on your RTR version. You are still going to need a battery and charger,I would recommend the Thunder ac680 charger and also check out the gens ace lipo packs "these are both at hobbypartz.com",I use both and they work well and a pretty good price.
I know its hard jumping into this hobby,It will take you wallet and turn it upside down! Another option is to search here or maybe ebay or craigslist for a nice used rig,,a lot of time you can find one RTR with upgrades,battery and charger for what you are going to spend for a new one in box,Just something to think about.

fl0w3n 04-22-2013 05:22 PM

My first RC was an RC10 electric by Losi, and then an RTR tmaxx.

Its been years since I've sold those off though.

I am an advocate of purchasing used stuff, but I'm okay with the price of the rtr.

I'm not sure I have access to the classified section here yet.

ProfitOfDoom 04-22-2013 05:58 PM

Yea I just meant when someone new is coming into the hobby and they look at $400 RTR kits and then tell them all you need is another $100 for a battery and charger to actually make it Ready to Run,they tend to be overwhelmed. But you been in the hobby in the past you know the prices! :) Good luck on what ever you buy,I just bought the RTR wrangler a couple of weeks ago and I been pretty happy with it in stock form. Did the free upgrades like moving the battery to the front position,removing the rubber bump stops on the shocks,water proofed and increased the drag brake on the esc "you will need the castle CPU link for that" and it crawls pretty nice!

project_mayhem 04-22-2013 06:24 PM

I would buy the honcho over the jeep when it comes to the RTR's because it's cheaper, and it's solid. The windshield and mirrors break off of the jeep. If you abuse the jeep a bit and roll it several times, the cage will break through the body. It's cool because it's a jeep, but the honcho is more durable, and costs less.

Natedog 04-22-2013 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddamonk (Post 4289792)
Rtr doesnt come with charger or battery. But those dont cost the world.what i can tell you from experience,dont buy low budget stuff.if you wanna buy something then buy something you would feel comfortable with for the next few years.

When it comes to budget, get yourself the RTR and then slowly upgrade things you want. The Kit for a start is very expensive and if you dont have the rights tools for the assembly, you might need to add those on your shopping list also.

Yes, I almost always buy the kit because I enjoy building it's at least half the fun, you know it's put together properly, and you learn how it goes together which makes fixing it easier. "thumbsup" Budget....it's easy to spend more, but buy what is good enough that it will last for at least a couple years before it needs replaced/upgraded again. Buy the price point that you can afford, but don't buy cheapo parts, better to wait for upgrade a little longer and buy quality. Good luck and have fun.

buddamonk 04-23-2013 01:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I m sharing my rig with you which was RTR in the beginning.yes, i understand the fact of getting the kit and learn about how its built...but by swapping out parts and so on, you learn about the truck anyways. The SCX10 is pretty straight forward and not that difficult to assemble together.

Original:(only changed the shocks)
Attachment 235447

Now:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/8ede5e6e.jpg

GuyOverThere 04-23-2013 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by buddamonk (Post 4291020)
I m sharing my rig with you which was RTR in the beginning.yes, i understand the fact of getting the kit and learn about how its built...but by swapping out parts and so on, you learn about the truck anyways. The SCX10 is pretty straight forward and not that difficult to assemble together.

Original:(only changed the shocks)
Attachment 235447

Now:
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/13/04/23/8ede5e6e.jpg

Holy sexy truck batman!"thumbsup"

buddamonk 04-23-2013 02:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuyOverThere (Post 4291040)
Holy sexy truck batman!"thumbsup"

Thank you!