Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Help with Jeep Rubicon Kit

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM   #1

Question Help with Jeep Rubicon Kit

Hey guys.. I thought that I put this thing together correctly but I guess I was wrong lol...

I'm having stuttering when I accelerate the throttle.. it shakes the front and rear axles any idea of what's happening?

Video is below! please help. Thanks!

Axial Scx-10 Problem *please help* - YouTube
AvriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 03:35 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Help with Jeep Rubicon Kit

It looks like it's just the front axle, but to be sure disconnect one drive line at a time and test. Once you nail down the source then it's just a matter of tearing it back apart and making sure everything is installed correctly.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

Looks like the front like 05 stated.
Could not tell if it was shaking on the table running, just when you were holding it.
Are the spindles straight/bent?
Are the wheels weighted to one side instead of all around?
Disconnect the rear drive shaft and run again to isolate to the front. Does it happen again?
Reconnect the rear and disconnect the front. Does it still happen?
Swap the drive shafts front to rear. Does it happen now?
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:39 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Also a quick check - are the lines on the driveshaft lined up?
Edit: there are alignment lines on the male and female parts of the driveshaft - look for those to se if they are properly aligned.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:15 PM   #5
RCC Addict

is the pinion angle correct on the front? it looks like the driveline angle could be off
PhantomRS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:27 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by B94Cast View Post
Also a quick check - are the lines on the driveshaft lined up?
Edit: there are alignment lines on the male and female parts of the driveshaft - look for those to se if they are properly aligned.
yeah the little plastic nubs are lined up on the male - female pieces.

phantom - at what angle are the drivelines suppose to both look like?
Old 04-24-2013, 05:37 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

From the looks of it your drive line angle is fine. The alignment he is talking about is with the threaded pins that keep the drive lines hooked up. Be sure the pins on each end of the drive line are at the same position. If they aren't, you need to take either the tranny end or axle end off and reposition it.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-24-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #8

I've seen, heard, and experienced a similar situation. The problem was with the pinion angle. With the truck sitting on a flat surface, check the angle of the pinion. (Output shaft on the axle)
This should be pointing slightly upwards. If the pinion angle on the front and rear axle is at 90* or pointing down in the slightest, your truck will shudder. Fix this by lengthening the upper links. I used the longer plastic rod ends to correct it and have been fine ever since. The pinion angle is more important in the rear. It's a free and easy fix to try that should only take a few minutes.
Hope that helps!
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 08:48 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeside View Post
I've seen, heard, and experienced a similar situation. The problem was with the pinion angle. With the truck sitting on a flat surface, check the angle of the pinion. (Output shaft on the axle)
This should be pointing slightly upwards. If the pinion angle on the front and rear axle is at 90* or pointing down in the slightest, your truck will shudder. Fix this by lengthening the upper links. I used the longer plastic rod ends to correct it and have been fine ever since. The pinion angle is more important in the rear. It's a free and easy fix to try that should only take a few minutes.
Hope that helps!
My rear end is pointing down and my front end is pointing a little up like your saying! when its flat on a table

so should I put the longer upper links in the rear end?

I really hope this fix's it.. ill let you know!

* I can also see where the shaft comes out of the rear end axle where it joints to the next piece its been rubbing on the metal*

Last edited by AvriX; 04-24-2013 at 08:59 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #10
Rock Crawler

If it is really actually pointing down - then yes, play with links until it is at least on the same plane as the frame, and a bit better a few degrees toward the frame. Didnt see that in the pics at all though - doh!
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Yea, I just looked at the video again and that rear driveline angle is turrible! Use the longer upper links.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-24-2013 at 09:17 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 01:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakeside View Post
Hope that helps!
Looks like this was the problem thanks a lot everyone! really appreciate the help!

Still not done yet though but when I turn the wheels its a lot smoother!!

Does anyone think that the pins lining up can really make a difference?
Old 04-25-2013, 04:02 AM   #13

Wow Its running pretty great now, and moving along the ground nicely! but it still stutters and shakes when I pick it up and pull the acceleration..

Should I try aligning the pins on each end of driveshaft? can that really make the difference?

Or is it suppose to stutter and shake a little bit because of the 4 wheel drive?

Last edited by AvriX; 04-25-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old 04-25-2013, 11:39 PM   #14

Can anyone give me a pic of what there driveshafts look like? whats everyone talking about when they say line up the pins and marks?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:21 AM   #15

Got the pins all aligned and everything is working like it should! thanks a lot everyone
Old 04-26-2013, 02:32 AM   #16

Since having the double whammy "driveshaft angle & driveshaft alignment" And having it fixed.... I now think that the scx10 is a very very sweet RC car! now that it runs like 20x smoother!

thanks again everyone.. this forum is very helpful! glad I could get my $400 Toy working like it should!!

* And I know I probably wont be the only one doing this so anyone with the "Jeep Rubicon Kit" Pay very close attention to the *Note* in the directions and pick the longer set of rear upper links than the shorter ones in the box

Last edited by AvriX; 04-26-2013 at 02:35 AM.
Old 04-26-2013, 11:28 AM   #17

WOOT!
Great to hear that AvriX. I too agree that the SCX10 is a great platform for crawling. I now own three SCX10's. 1 dingo and two rubicon kits.
Since the rubicon wheelbase is slightly longer then the honcho or dingo, I too made the same mistake when putting the links together. It was actually horrific.
My second build uses the Vanquish links so it wasnt so much of an issue.
Super stoked you got it sorted. That little bit of added length makes a world of difference!
Cheers!
wakeside is offline   Reply With Quote

Help with Jeep Rubicon Kit - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Evols Axial SCX10 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon JK *kit version* ev0l Axial SCX-10 97 01-09-2016 07:17 PM
NorCal's Axial SCX10 2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit Build NorCal 2500HD Axial SCX-10 29 06-20-2014 09:59 AM
Painting and detailing Axial's Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Kit BENDER Axial SCX-10 33 04-13-2013 12:09 AM
Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Kit question The-Blacksheep Axial SCX-10 1 02-18-2013 08:29 PM
Jeep Rubicon vs. Jeep Cherokee DAGUL Scale Videos! 1 03-22-2012 05:26 AM