Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: help scx10 problems

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default help scx10 problems

hi I have an scx10 and its no where near stock and ive added a few lbs to it. everything worked great and all and then while running it I noticed the stock servo barely moving the wheels, literally like a twitch. so I took it home and cleaned it up and started going through it and decided to switch the stock servo out and put in a metal gear team associated servo. and it still done the same same thing. I had put in aluminum chubs and aluminum knuckles but they look fine no bends or cracks and the servo will turn the wheels when off the ground and no weight on it fine. I also have 2.2s on it. I went through it and went through it again with no luck the screws holding the knuckles on are loose enough so to not stop movement please help me.
jaredcrawler185 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2013, 09:06 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: help scx10 problems

I would bet that a BEC would solve your problems - at $20 it's a good choice no matter what, and odds are it will fix that specific issue on top of proving to be a better overall experience with your rig.
B94Cast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

Well I have a bec I have the rc4wd outcry esc with an external bec and its all in good working order lol would weight be an issue I know for sure its not the servos. it stripped the plastic servo horn out it was so bad twice and I bought a aluminum one and still it just twitches the tires moving them right to left they don't move a tenth of an inch. but if its off the ground its very fast and resonsive

Last edited by jaredcrawler185; 04-24-2013 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

Is the BEC output wired directly to the servo, or is it running to the receiver? If it's running to the receiver, did you pull out the red wire coming from the ESC?

Also, what model servo do you have? And what other changes did you make before noticing the issue?
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
Pebble Pounder

the bec goes to the receiver and I checked to see if a wire had been pulled out but it hasn't. the model of the servo is SHV1504 MG METAL GEAR SERVO. honestly I changed the chubs and that's about it.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:35 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Ok, take the ESC plug out of the receiver, then get something small and thin to pop up the small tab holding the red wire in and then pull the wire out of the plastic plug. The metal connector on the end of the wire should come out with it nice and easily. Take some small heat shrink, or some electrical tape and isolate the wire so it doesn't contact anything.

The issue is that you have power running into your receiver from both the ESC and BEC which is no bueno. Hopefully you didn't fry anything.

The other option is to leave the red wire from the ESC connected to the receiver and then pull the red and black wires from the servo plug and wire it directly to the BEC, only leaving the white wire from the servo plugged into the receiver. This way the ESC powers the receiver and the BEC only powers the servo.

Another edit: That servo you are using doesn't have anywhere near the torque required for a rock crawler with 2.2 tires. Look for something with 300+ oz/in of torque. It takes a lot of torque to turn big sticky tires at low speeds, especially on rocks or other high traction surfaces.

Last edited by 05Fronty4x; 04-24-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:41 PM   #7
Pebble Pounder

ill try that I just tried to get it to start up and the throttle is dead receiver is fine but now I think motor is down I just tried the stock ae-2 esc and same thing could it have fried my motor
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

DO NOT turn anything on until you disconnect the red wire from the ESC that goes to the receiver. You can't have power going to the receiver from both the ESC and BEC, this is very important.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Pebble Pounder

whats a good servo make and also mode if you don't mind I just had that servo around is why I put it in
Old 04-24-2013, 09:53 PM   #10
Pebble Pounder

I removed the red wire from the esc and still the same thing the motor is not running but the esc is unhurt everything works in all channels except the motor which I don't know whats up with it. worked great last time out.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:00 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

Hitec is popular and hard to beat because they are high quality and have good service. I run the hs-5645mg @ 6V with a CC BEC on my 1.9 rig. At 165 oz/in it does fine, but I will say my rig is about 1 pound heavier than it started out and I have noticed a loss in steering performance because of it, so I would say a servo like that should be a minimum for a 6 pound 1.9 scale rig.

Being heavier and having 2.2's I plan to run the Hitec hs-7954sh @ 7.4V on my Wraith. This is more like what you should be looking at.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:03 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredcrawler185 View Post
I removed the red wire from the esc and still the same thing the motor is not running but the esc is unhurt everything works in all channels except the motor which I don't know whats up with it. worked great last time out.
You'll just have to go through and trouble shoot it. Check your connections, be sure the battery voltage isn't too low, be sure the switch is on (lol), and run through the ESC setup again to be sure it's calibrated correctly to your radio.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #13
Pebble Pounder

I use 220oz or higher servos, it helps take up the issues, especially if your running tall tires with weight
OGXXXOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:07 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

well im running metal tranny with all metal gears mip shafts aluminum links vanquish metal axle housings with metal rockslides metal bumpers winch lights tire carrier and everything else is pretty much aluminum or steel so im prolly pushing 9-10lbs maybe a little more or a little less. that's kind of what I was thinking when the servo stopped and worked when it was jacked up an not when it was down on the ground btw thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 PM   #15
Pebble Pounder

well the motor may be clogged up I run a trail the other day ill clean it out and try again battery is charged fully and the on switch is always on i used a ziptie to make it stay in on position i made a custom waterproof box for the receiver so it stays completely dry. esc has been working with my radio actually both the rc4wd esc and the ae-2 works perfect.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:14 PM   #16
Rock Crawler

Quote:
well im running metal tranny with all metal gears mip shafts aluminum links vanquish metal axle housings with metal rockslides metal bumpers winch lights tire carrier and everything else is pretty much aluminum or steel so im prolly pushing 9-10lbs maybe a little more or a little less. that's kind of what I was thinking when the servo stopped and worked when it was jacked up an not when it was down on the ground btw thanks for all the help I really appreciate it.
It also didn't help that the ESC and external BEC power was running to the receiver. Please be sure to note that pulling the little red wire from the ESC plug was not a troubleshooting measure, it was absolutely necessary. Never run multiple power sources to the receiver.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:17 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

Quote:
well the motor may be clogged up I run a trail the other day ill clean it out and try again battery is charged fully and the on switch is always on i used a ziptie to make it stay in on position i made a custom waterproof box for the receiver so it stays completely dry. esc has been working with my radio actually both the rc4wd esc and the ae-2 works perfect.
Yea, everything seems to work perfect, until there's an issue, haha. Don't count anything out.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:18 PM   #18
Pebble Pounder

yeah ill definatly make sure i do that from now on.
Old 04-24-2013, 10:19 PM   #19
Rock Crawler

Make sure your TX batteries are fresh. Mine went dead today and I freaked out because the truck wouldent connect to the radio. I had steering but no throttle.
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 10:21 PM   #20
Pebble Pounder

haha i found one thing out crawling is a bit more expensive than short course bc you beat the crap out of your truck and take it through some of the most rugged terrain for an rc vehicle. lol im beginning to realize your gonna break something every few trips out to the rocks you just don't know what itll be. but its the funnest thing ive ever done and worth every cent.

help scx10 problems - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
scx10 driveshaft problems TNBiscuit83 Axial SCX-10 21 06-27-2013 09:33 PM
scx10 Problems djbeck88 Axial SCX-10 30 03-25-2013 03:52 PM
scx10 problems Bronco2x84 Axial SCX-10 3 01-10-2013 05:22 PM
scx10 ax2 problems yzkeb125 Axial SCX-10 4 12-16-2012 10:00 PM
scx10 problems???? dunwoody Axial SCX-10 1 05-18-2011 05:44 PM