Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Over drive front or Under drive rear?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 05:42 AM   #1
RCC Addict

Default Over drive front or Under drive rear?

I have read a few posts on this but none have clarified which is better....Reading the below in conjunction with other posts; is under gearing the rear the optimal way for better crawling (primary aim) and trailing (Secondary aim) or just Over driving the front which seems the norm?

The lower gear range set reduces torque twist (43/13)AX30402
The higher gear range offers higher top speed (36/14) AX30401
The Standard Gear (38/13) AX30395

Thanks for any info...
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Over drive front or Under drive rear?

If you are looking for maximum effectiveness from the gearing change, do both. Over and under gears work great together.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

well for crawling is better OD in front and UD in the back,that means your front wheels will spin faster then the back,and you can turn much better.if u use it more for crawling,yes you can install this comboo,if u want more speed,put OD in both axles
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 06:52 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Thanks guys. I do some trailing running too you see. I don't want the rears to be being dragged along hence not doing both. But I'm unsure which gives better crawlability. I have read some things that suggest under driving the rear gives better control than just over driving the front as most people do. I was after clarification as to whether this was true.

I can sort of see why making the rear slower could give better control than just making the front faster if you see what I mean?
Old 04-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Thanks guys. I do some trailing running too you see. I don't want the rears to be being dragged along hence not doing both. But I'm unsure which gives better crawlability. I have read some things that suggest under driving the rear gives better control than just over driving the front as most people do. I was after clarification as to whether this was true.

I can sort of see why making the rear slower could give better control than just making the front faster if you see what I mean?
If you are going to be doing a combination of crawling and trail running then OD the front and stock ration in the back work well. This is the combo that I will be running on SCX-10 build that is in progress. Building my JKU for Brushless Power

My Wraith has OD/UD and if I try to go fast you can see the rear tires hopping off the ground trying to keep up. It could break parts if running on a high traction surface like carpet.

If this is just to go faster, then change the spur/pinion gears. Much less expensive than diff gears.
k7zpj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 AM   #6
RCC Addict

That's great. OD the front it shall be! I'm geared 14/87 which I find perfect for the crawling/trailing I do. Just wanted to tweak the crawling a little more.
Old 04-29-2013, 08:37 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

These rigs are so light, the likelihood of breaking parts solely on changing just axle gears has the same chance of waking up next to Kate Upton.
diesel kawboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #8
Quarry Creeper

the OD/UD combo is very useful in crawling where u don't use high speed,so the chance of broking something are equal to zero.in my honcho i will use OD in the front and in the back also to obtain more will spin.but for the start i will use it with stock gears
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:47 AM   #9
Rock Crawler

We went through this a couple weeks ago and had to go quite in depth to show why OD'ing the front is the same thing as UD'ing the rear. One isn't better than the other because alone they each offset the axle ratios nearly the same exact amount. If you just want to gear higher or lower, do that with smaller/bigger pinion gears.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
RCC Addict

If that is the case that's great. I was not sure if the different ratios had a impact and in my noggin using the slower rear set seemed to make it better for crawling.
Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

OD the front only, helps with climbing an making tighter turns, my scx is running hd,od front gear set with hd stock ratio gears in the rear,with xr steering knuckles an chubs,cvds. man it will turn on a dime, like it has dig,with 19pin 87spur got the speed for the trails too.
crawlernut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:03 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Awesome. Thanks folks.
Old 04-29-2013, 11:07 AM   #13
Rock Stacker

I got ud for the rear because I didn't want anything spinning faster than it already does. I guess the difference is negligible.....
RickGrimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 11:15 AM   #14
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickGrimes View Post
I got ud for the rear because I didn't want anything spinning faster than it already does. I guess the difference is negligible.....
That there should be the deciding factor for which set people choose if they are only doing one of the UD/OD sets. Other than that the effect of the offset for turning, climbing, etc... is the same regardless of which you choose.

Remember it's not so much about ODing front VS UDing rear because they both end with the same result which is spin the front X amount of times faster than the rear. Try to throw out the relation to the stock gearing ratio and just think of it purely as a difference between front and rear ratios.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 01:25 PM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Both.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote

Over drive front or Under drive rear? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Over drive front of my JK and underdrive rear MikeJordan Axial SCX-10 7 04-17-2013 07:24 AM
AX10 MIP C Drive dig drive shafts in stock! RPP Hobby RPP Hobby 1 12-03-2009 10:50 PM