Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial UD gears - getting major gear catching

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 08:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default Axial UD gears - getting major gear catching

Has anyone noticed any issues with running Axial UD gears?

Build includes VP Currie axle and VP locker. Intially I thought it was a bearing issue since the front axle spins like butter. I ordered a new set from Fast Eddy and sadly found that wasn't the problem at all. When I tightened down the VP bearing braces in the rear the gears start to catch every now and then. This catching is really noticable when spinning the gears in reverse. It's pretty bad. I'm not over tigthening the bearing brace screws, just hand tight. When I loosen them up it seems to help a bit, but it doesn't solve the problem.

I pulled the gears out of the axles last night and rebuilt it and still no love. I checked to make sure all the screws were set properly and removed the axles to eliminate that as a potential problem. It feels like there's a quality control problem with the Axial UD gears. That or there's something off with my rear Currie axle housing causing the gears not to mesh properly - yes I checked to make sure the bearings were seated.

Has Anyone else seen something similar? If it was just the stock setup I'd live with it, but there's a serious amount of $$ sitting there. I expect nothing but butter.
flarezfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Axial UD gears - getting major gear catching

(i had that issue i sanded the bearing cap closet to the ring gear, took about .003 of the bearing surface of the cap, that cured the tite spot
blumaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:38 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

That sounds exactly like the problem I'm having. It only shows up when I put the bearing cap on closet to the ring gear. Any ideas on what it was? is it just crushing the bearing or is it just putting the gears out of alignment? Are you running UD gearing too? I'm just surprised that this is a problem with such expensive axles.
Old 04-30-2013, 04:31 AM   #4
I wanna be Dave

i think i had a similar issue with the vp scx axles. my problem was the screws i used to hold the ring gear to the vp locker had cap heads that seemed to be a hair too high and were catching on the bearing cap. i swapped the screws for ones with a shorter head, made sure to have the locker/ring pushed to the opposite side of the case (not much but every little bit helps) and tightened down the ring side bearing cap first. no problems since then.
jebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:04 AM   #5
Rock Crawler

X2 jebster, but you can also file the head of the bolts off just a hair and they will clear.
Twisted Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 AM   #6

Do they need shims or anything like fullsize rig sorry I don't no much bout this yet!
Lilgreenjeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the replies! I gonna file down the screw caps a bit and see what happens
Old 04-30-2013, 09:50 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

silly tapatalk double post
Old 05-01-2013, 05:15 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

Well thanks to everyone for the help! I swapped out the SS screws for the stock steal ones. The caps are a hair width ( if that) smaller. I then tilted the pumpkin up onto its right side and screwed down the gear side bearing cap first. The gears now spin like butter- strange I didn't get the same issue with the front. That's what was throwing me off.

Axial UD gears - getting major gear catching - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RC4WD Gears or Axial Light Weight gears. OFFROADRCKOREA Axial XR10 39 10-29-2012 02:20 PM