Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Front chattering!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #1

Default Front chattering!

Got a new SCX10 and the front chatters when turned almost all the way to the left or right. Weird thing is, it seems to only happen when I put the wheels on. Without the wheels, it runs smoothly even when turned. No binding anywhere, took apart everything and the gears mesh smoothly. What could be the problem?
biomanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Front chattering!

Start reading these HERE.

I fixed it on mine by adding some length to the upper links.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:55 AM   #3

I already tried googling for some answers and skimmed through a few of those links, but checked off what I found - no gear binding, drive shafts are stock and are aligned, it shouldn't be the angle of the shafts and dogbones as everything runs smooth until I slap on the front wheels. Just doesn't make sense how only the wheels would cause it to chatter. Fully comressing the shocks and running it upside down is the same. But when running on the ground at full turn radius (I already decreased it a bit) it's barely noticable. Reverse is more pronounced, though. For now it's just an annoyance, but still something I should fix later on..
Old 04-30-2013, 05:54 AM   #4
RCC Addict

Nature of the beast. It's the front axle shaft/dog bone/stub shaft/u joint.

U joints do not transmit rotational motion smoothly at an angle (unless there is a mate, like on a driveshaft). The more angle they run at, the worse it is.

It still happens with the wheels off, but since there's less weight, it isn't as apparent.

Turn the wheels full lock in one direction, and run the throttle as slow as possible. You will be able to see the wheel speed up and slow down.

Last edited by Manning; 04-30-2013 at 05:57 AM.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:07 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Nature of the beast. It's the front axle shaft/dog bone/stub shaft/u joint.

U joints do not transmit rotational motion smoothly at an angle (unless there is a mate, like on a driveshaft). The more angle they run at, the worse it is.

It still happens with the wheels off, but since there's less weight, it isn't as apparent.

Turn the wheels full lock in one direction, and run the throttle as slow as possible. You will be able to see the wheel speed up and slow down.
So it's like this stock? But there's no slowdown at all when going straight upside down at the lowest throttle. Only when turned maybe 20degrees or more. I'd imagine if it's the u-joint shaft only it wouldn't matter whether the wheels are turned or not, but maybe I'm wrong on that.

I'll try to record it in motion in the next day or 2.
Old 04-30-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

I put mip's on and 104mm gmades mine did it, so what i did was took the links off on the back side of the axle off and turned my throttle rate up and started to clock my wheels while the tires where moving once u hit the (spot) you will know ive found that the angle of the drive-shafts make a big problem with theses..
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 06:47 PM   #7
RCC Addict

Yes, it's like that stock.

Like I mentioned it only does it when turning.
Manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 07:06 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manning View Post
Yes, it's like that stock.

Like I mentioned it only does it when turning.
Woops, missed the part you said while turning.
Any aftermarket parts that can remedy this? Sounds like a flaw of the truck's design. I might just leave as is then.

Front chattering! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Narrowing front Wraith Axle for front of scx10 rusty577 Axial SCX-10 12 02-02-2013 10:30 PM
Sensored chattering. Help! Sneakretly Axial Wraith 3 02-28-2012 02:08 AM
independent front suspension and front diff build canadian scx10 Axial SCX-10 1 02-13-2011 07:52 PM
front steering linkage behind front axle kit? slip408 Axial AX-10 Scorpion 8 09-14-2008 01:16 AM