Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Anybody out there never get their scx10's wet?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2013, 10:48 AM   #1
Rock Crawler

Default Anybody out there never get their scx10's wet?

I'm in SoCal so not much water to get into except salt water :(. Are there any of you guys out there who never intend to get your rigs wet? I like the idea of having a go anywhere truck but is it a hassle keeping things waterproofed? Do you need to redip the esc's or servos? I'm thinking of doing it to an old servo and my stock esc just to try it out. I'm aware one needs to grease and protect bearings too.

Last edited by Demodude; 04-30-2013 at 10:54 AM.
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Anybody out there never get their scx10's wet?

I would guess the majority of SCX10 owners don't get them wet. The reason there are so many videos and threads on waterproofing (IMO) is that people are not comfortable with the idea of it and the work involved. Stock feels safe.

The stock axial servo on my sons JK was pretty well sealed. He had it submerged several times when he first got it. When I finally got around to opening it up to water proof it there was no sign of water. I greased the bushing area inside and out after coating it several times with spray on electrical tape.

I don't think the spray on coating will need a reapplied unless the servo is making contact and having it scraped off. The grease around the servo arm on the outside should be reapplied as needed though. Same goes for the ESC and RX - unless something is breaking down or damaging the coating I think they should be fine.
Debonair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I bought my scx10 strictly for desert trail and rock crawling. I have alway been big into rock crawling, so I modified my old Traxxas Emaxx from 2001. Changed gears for more torque, broke axle shafts because of it...upgraded to steel shafts, broke a idler gear because of that, got steal gear and so on. So now that I found this Scx10 with stock low gears and amazingly soft tires I am totally impressed with its crawling ability. I am glad I got back into this addiction. This forum helps me out a lot.
bigdogs21ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:58 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

With my SCX10 I'm going only in water/mud as deep as the top of my wheels. I have mounted my servo to the chassis and other electrics are mounted high up. I haven't waterproofed anything and I haven't had any problems with my previous scalers either.

It's just like building a real offroader. You build it for what you use it.

And like a real truck you need to know how deep it is before you go in.

You can waterproof everything and go play submarine. But I have never seen the fun in that.
Scrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:01 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

We waterproof all our rigs in Canada.
SkinInc69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:12 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkinInc69 View Post
We waterproof all our rigs in Canada.
that`s cause you have way to much snow lol.

and if you waterproof your stuff right the first time it should`nt need done again but the odd touch may be in order. i run a hitec wp servo and a plasti dipped esc with my rx in a balloon and i`ve had no probs yet with the dip coming of either of them
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

if you're putting high-dollar electronics in your rig, waterproofing is cheap insurance. for the most part, a lot of the stuff is relatively water-resistant and will suffice for the occasional puddle and wet grass etc since you're not in a lot of water - but if you're going through mud bogs, trailing next to a river/creek, or just driving where there's a good amount of water (like snow) then it's probably a good idea to go further since you will most likely be in deep enough water to drown the rig at some point.

there are plenty of how-to's regarding waterproofing.
Perkolator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 04:18 PM   #8
RCC Addict

i live in canada and none of my rigs are waterproofed. i'll go the odd puddle slowly but undecided if im going to waterproof the crew cab ford.
AX10wannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 09:55 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

I was reluctant at first...then dunked my wraith...it quit. Did the rice thing and recovered the electronics. Since then I've "proofed" all my rigs. The dunking was not intentional...happened at the creek Debonair.... it's a pretty cheap precaution. I use balloons , I hate the plasti dip
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Quarry Creeper

I crawl, trail, and swim with my scx10. I agree that waterproofing is just cheap insurance. What if you are crawling near a pond or puddle and roll into it? (posting at the same time but proof is in the post above lol) But a little water proofing is all you need, no troubles after that.

Lil' B. swimming
A friends sx10 in the water - YouTube

Lil' B. Playing in the water - YouTube
Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valreesio View Post
I crawl, trail, and swim with my scx10. I agree that waterproofing is just cheap insurance. What if you are crawling near a pond or puddle and roll into it? (posting at the same time but proof is in the post above lol) But a little water proofing is all you need, no troubles after that.

Lil' B. swimming
A friends sx10 in the water - YouTube

Lil' B. Playing in the water - YouTube
Looks like fun in the videos, what method did you use to water proof Lil' B.?
nightster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

I am running a sidewinder sv3 esc (waterproof from factory), marine grease in the axles, transmission and servo. I ballooned the receiver and stuck it back inside the receiver box. Two things I need to do is a o-ring for the servo horn (a couple times the servo has gotten twitchy after going submarine) and I am still running an on/off switch. I have read that the on/off switch will give you problems under water, but not yet. Basically I followed DJMedics video ( RC ADVENTURES - Waterproofing RC, CHEAP! Example Model: Axial SCX10 RC Truck - Tutorial - YouTube ) from you tube and it has worked perfectly. Oh and plug the servo mount holes on top of the axles if you are not using them.

Valreesio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 04:38 PM   #13

We would never ever get our SCX-10's wet
Attached Images

dademoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:01 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

Since I've gotten mine I've never put it through water since 2011!!! Jajaja
Hi-Intentionz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Yea I also live in Canada and I don't get my scx10 wet, I will "proof" it one day.
Dr.Newb is offline   Reply With Quote

Anybody out there never get their scx10's wet? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Let's see those 2.2 Scx10's raw111 Axial SCX-10 82 03-17-2017 07:57 PM
Driving our new SCX10's DawgBones Videos! 0 04-04-2011 09:20 PM