Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Axial SCX10 Dingo Build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2013, 12:23 PM   #1

Default Axial SCX10 Dingo Build

Ahem..."check one two"...This is my first post on rcc and also my first rc build. I've been a fan of rc for a long time but its always been the cheap cars from Toys R Us and what not. This Dingo is on a whole different level. I recently came across this site and it blew me away. I soon came to know names like medic at rcsparks, headquake, etc. These guys are killin it in the scale rc world as you probably already know. So now I'm gonna dive in headfirst with this Dingo and see if i cant have some fun of my own.
I kinda got excited and built the whole chassis before deciding to make a build thread, but here are some pics of the finished chassis/roller.
I'm lovin this thing. Detail and scale realism is amazing. Axial has done a great job making this a very easy, fun build.
Next update will be paint. I'm thinking a simple two tone with bright red and white will be cool. I've already got some ideas in the works for a removable metal shell to go over the roll cage maybe, who knows. Till next time, cheers!

*Edit*
P.S. if anyone has suggestions on motor/esc combos, or servos, it would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by DrMend; 05-01-2013 at 12:29 PM.
DrMend is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2013, 12:47 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Axial SCX10 Dingo Build

I love seeing a brand new built kit without any dust or mud on it! It'll never be that clean again, lol
Demodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 12:52 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demodude View Post
I love seeing a brand new built kit without any dust or mud on it! It'll never be that clean again, lol
I know huh! i cant wait to hit the trails! Payday cant come soon enough.
Old 05-01-2013, 01:12 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

My first scale truck was a RTR Dingo I bought used off of CL here locally.....I love that thing!!!! Made it a rescue/chase type truck. Added a few goodies....as for electronics, IMHO, I like the HH BRXL, Or Tekin FX-r, they are about the same price, but the Tekin is ALOT smaller, so if thats an issue (space) then Tekin would be my choice, otherwise my BRXL by Holmes Hobbies is awsome, Waterproofed, 6s capable (you will never even run 4s, overkill, but adds versatility).

Motor: beleive it or not i like the STOCK 27turn (Green) motor, they are good and cheap. They last the longest on 2s, but i run mine on 3s and get about 20-25% lower life span, and i am not easy on those either....but i prefer to have the 3s on hand and run a smaller mah, to make up for the size, equals a little more battery changes. I dont mind batt. changes, as mine are easy to change, litterally 20 sec.

BEC/SERVO: Again IMHO, from experience, i would recommend to run a Battery Elimination Circuit/BEC on your truck if you plan to run a high torque servo, any servo pushing 200 in/oz plus, Hitec 7955TG or a 7950TG, the latter is what i am trying to buy these days if they are pushing around 1.9's.....2.2's i try to use 7980's. each of these items listed are not the cheapest out there, but i want a durable set-up, as i drive far to go to club outings and dont like watching....lol

GOOD LUCK!
Hope this helps......
TheAxialNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 09:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxialNut View Post
My first scale truck was a RTR Dingo I bought used off of CL here locally.....I love that thing!!!! Made it a rescue/chase type truck. Added a few goodies....as for electronics, IMHO, I like the HH BRXL, Or Tekin FX-r, they are about the same price, but the Tekin is ALOT smaller, so if thats an issue (space) then Tekin would be my choice, otherwise my BRXL by Holmes Hobbies is awsome, Waterproofed, 6s capable (you will never even run 4s, overkill, but adds versatility).

Motor: beleive it or not i like the STOCK 27turn (Green) motor, they are good and cheap. They last the longest on 2s, but i run mine on 3s and get about 20-25% lower life span, and i am not easy on those either....but i prefer to have the 3s on hand and run a smaller mah, to make up for the size, equals a little more battery changes. I dont mind batt. changes, as mine are easy to change, litterally 20 sec.

BEC/SERVO: Again IMHO, from experience, i would recommend to run a Battery Elimination Circuit/BEC on your truck if you plan to run a high torque servo, any servo pushing 200 in/oz plus, Hitec 7955TG or a 7950TG, the latter is what i am trying to buy these days if they are pushing around 1.9's.....2.2's i try to use 7980's. each of these items listed are not the cheapest out there, but i want a durable set-up, as i drive far to go to club outings and dont like watching....lol

GOOD LUCK!
Hope this helps......
Dang, Thanks so much for the suggestions! Theres so much out there, it's a little overwhelming, haha.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #6

I built a Dingo a little while ago. I put a Tekin FX-R (like TheAxialNut said, it is super small) with a Tekin 45t motor in it. I also ran a BEC with my 3s lipo. I went with a Spektrum S6030 servo for steering.
maraudriii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraudriii View Post
I built a Dingo a little while ago. I put a Tekin FX-R (like TheAxialNut said, it is super small) with a Tekin 45t motor in it. I also ran a BEC with my 3s lipo. I went with a Spektrum S6030 servo for steering.
Thanks for the reply. Plenty of good info.
Old 05-04-2013, 08:16 AM   #8
Rock Stacker

Welcome Dr.! You're going to love this chassis. Find a good local hobby shop and make friends with someone knowledgeable. Since you've found rcc you already know the wealth of info and support at your fingertips.
I'm currently running Tekin FXR w/ 35T pro handwound on a small 3s lipo. Fantastic! So easy to program, make adjustments, and has all the settings a crawler could want. Really smooth. Haven't tried Holmes Hobbies yet but plan to, if i ever build another scx10 for one of my four sons. I'd like to do that to personally compare and contrast.
As far as servos, I'd recommend metal geared varieties pushing at least 200oz.+ reason being is that the Traxxas 2075 I'm using, though "waterproof", has just barely sufficed. With the cost of replacement gears and labor, you can get a stronger servo.
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

By the way, look up RCX expo 2013, if you're in San Diego you'll be close enough to attend, I believe Axial will be there. Of course check out info on Axialfest up in NorCal.
Old 05-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #10

i just put my dingo together this week!!! lots of fun
javner13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #11

My first dingo was an rtr...wish Id got it as a kit would have been more fun to build and paint.
Dowlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:27 PM   #12
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyspokes View Post
By the way, look up RCX expo 2013, if you're in San Diego you'll be close enough to attend, I believe Axial will be there. Of course check out info on Axialfest up in NorCal.

I will be there to set-up a display booth for crawling, along with RCP Crawlers, we did it last year and the info is that we are going to set-up a full crawler course with some of the most outrageous custom builds around....if you are into scalin' I'm tellin' you that these guys (OG's) inventeded the scale scene way back in 06'.

Ultra 4 rigs, Truggies, Jeeps, etc., some of these builds are not online anywhere because some of these guys don't get onto the forums at all....

Gonna bring my Dingo RTR with mods:

Tekin FX-r with integrated Novak Fan
HiTec 7950TG
Stock Axial 27T Motor
3s Lipo, this power supplies all drive and accessories
HR Metal upper gears
RR Output gear
MIP Drive Shafts
All Alumium links
RC4WD Hiem Joints and metal rod ends (Steering, all links, 4-link set-up)
Axial High Clearance Knuckles
Axial CVD's
Axial C-Hubs
Stock Wheels and Fat-Iron Tires with customs Gold Anodized bead lock rings
25 Plus scale items including: bumper jack, cooler, tools, misc. supplies, etc.
11 Custom wired LEDs (7 forward, 4 Rock lights) activated by HeyOk Radio switch
i-Pod dock and custom stereo speakers, full function
RC4WD Winch with HeyOk Winch controller
Dingo has been Weighted front and rear with additional spring rate changes.

I got this truck about a year ago and is back on top for the first scaler to grab, got sick of the G-6 Honcho after about 6 months (it's fun but i think i like now the shorter WB).....

Hope to see you all at the RCX show.....
Old 05-08-2013, 01:22 PM   #13

Nice, thanks guys for all the suggestions. Gonna prolly make an update tonight when i get home, Ive finished the paint, the electronics, and even started a couple scale items/mods.I did some test wheelin in the backyard and am very impressed by this kit!
Old 05-08-2013, 03:59 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

AxialNut, is the RCX show setup for gawkers only or is the public free to bring their rigs for a crawl?
Old 05-08-2013, 09:13 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyspokes View Post
AxialNut, is the RCX show setup for gawkers only or is the public free to bring their rigs for a crawl?

To be honest you might not want to lug your crawler there around in the show, there is soo much to see and it would get in the way of your shopping/looking and touching/handling models.

But if you did, and don't quote me on this, it is an exibit, i am sure they wouldn't mind if you tried it out. Remember though i have no say in who goes on the track...soooo don't quote me on that.

I will try to find out more info soon and i will ask.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #16

Whats up dudes? Time for an update.
I sprayed the inside with grey. After the fact,
I think black may have been a better idea, oh well.
Also did the piggybacks on the shocks in white,
and the light covers on the front bumper as well.

I then laid down the white...

And then the red...

There are prolly better ways to achieve these results, but not too bad for my first time. Heres the mocked up pics.
Let there be decals!

I wasnt a big fan of the interior decals. Thinkin about cutting the interior out and maybe trying the wraith interior?
Next post will be soon. (Will include electronics)
Please feel free to constructively criticize. Im sure there is plenty i can improve on.
Thanks.
Old 05-09-2013, 08:09 PM   #17

Oh yea, any good suggestions on some beadlocks? Im thinkin kind of on the heavier side? steel? or maybe lighter ones with some wheel weights? Lay it on me!
Old 05-09-2013, 09:09 PM   #18
Rock Crawler

I don't mean to barge in on this thread, but is rcx still a paid spectator event?

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

RCX $10. And kids under 12 free... I think.
As for 1.9 beadlocks, my eyes say Vanquish OMF, my wife said Axial 8-holes. So, guess what I did? Axial, of course. But I did add a nice set of rings from MThead and hardware from Mcmastercarr. They look great now. Really, wheels are such a personal item, it really makes or breaks a vehicle. Completely changes the aesthetics of the vehicle.
Old 05-10-2013, 12:31 AM   #20

Haha, that's so funny! I was checking out the vanquish wheels earlier and my GF looks over my shoulder and says "OMG, you aren't planning on actually buying those, are you? That's expensive!" She's right, they are kinda pricey. (Worth it IMO) So idk. I guess I'll keep shopping around. I'll know when I come across the perfect wheel. I'll prolly get some axials, or maybe some steelies in the meantime and then start putting a little money away for some OMFs. Thanks for the suggestions sixtyspokes.

Last edited by DrMend; 05-10-2013 at 12:36 AM.

Tags
axial, build thread, dingo, scale, scx10

Axial SCX10 Dingo Build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Famous112's SCX10 Dingo build! Famous112 Axial SCX-10 27 05-09-2013 10:32 PM
SCX10 Dingo Build Questions evankitz Axial SCX-10 8 03-22-2012 08:03 AM
axial scx10 dingo matches General Crawlers 1 03-23-2011 09:36 PM