Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: The Crawl Space "Rock Bull" Unimog. (pic heavy)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2013, 12:03 PM   #1
RCC Addict

Default The Crawl Space "Rock Bull" Unimog. (pic heavy)

Been wanting to build a truck like this ever since I started in this addiction, er... I mean hobby, lol.

Started off with a sweet custom chassis from MG200 (top notch chassis work) Told him what I wanted and boom, its done

Scored these cut n shut Pitbulls, stuffed with some custom dual stage foams from Crawler Innovations and mounted them on a standard Axial 1.9 beadlock wheels with some rings from MTHead and lots of screws.

Decided to go hardcore with the axles with a set of VP SCX10 axles with the Wraith knuckle steering mod for some crazy steering and Wraith lockouts on the rear to keep the axles the same width. Axial over/under gears front and rear and a little ARB bling from RC4WD.

This is from another build I did, but you will get the idea. For the panhard set-up on the front axle I used a Wraith racing ackerman steering arm and bolted it to the 4-link truss on the axle, simple clean and easy.

Here the truck sits mock up with the 1.9 cut n shuts.

and some old school pitbull 2.2s when its time for a TTC

Set-up some 3.5" traxxas big bores and short springs and get the links and
suspension together. Poseur flex shot, check.

Cut a delrin mounting plate and slammed all the running gear into it late one night to give it quick run. The Pro4 was plenty of power to chirp the tires and the dig worked as smooth as possible. I'm very happy with how these tires hook up

Got most of the electronics buttoned up in a project box and dipped the ESC in plasti-dip.

Started with on the hard part, all the body panels. I was originally going to use styrene, but I found a sheet of super thin delrin and got to work. About an hour later I had the back bed area together.

Hopefully today I will have the motor cover built, inner fender wells and start work on paint for the cab.
Thanks for looking
The Crawl Space is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #2
RCC Addict

Default Re: The Crawl Space "Rock Bull" Unimog. (pic heavy)

Beefy! Lookin' Good!
Die-Laughing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

nice rig,can;t wait to see the finishing touch,i se your a big fan of pitbull tyres
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Pretty sweet build.
french_connection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 10:48 AM   #5
RCC Addict

Found some time to finish this rig before the big RECON G6

Started work on enclosing the cage with some body panels and thanks to Almighty Malach for an idea, I came up with these things.

Whipped up some quick wheel wells to try the mud and dirt out.

I couldn't for the life of me get real boat sides to work so I resorted to just some covers that lay flat on the chassis rails but it also created an area for more lights

With the body being lexan and taking a little push, pull and squeeze to get it off and on the chassis I decided to use a simple interior, HPI Mini Trophy truck interior. Just 2 screws and some double sided tape to hold it in and allow for flex of the body.

Did a quick light check then added some lights to the interior so its not too dark for our drivers

Started securing all the scale items. Heres the set-up for the sand ladders. Traxxas battery hold down plate pins, some people use them for the wraith hood and some elastic.

Drilled out the original holes for the elastic to fit.

Used some more pins to secure the tow rope and make for easy access

More scale goodies.

Did I mention I'm not too fond of styrene work Props to the guys that have the patience to pound all the bodies and custom pieces, that way beyond me.

I did manage to come up with some spearfishing poles in about an hour, shesh!

All the specific fishing themed scale items mounted up

On the rocks with Tiff's TJ rig.

Thats what I got so far. Going to test and tune and hopefully make it through this weekends G6, thanks for looking
Old 05-15-2013, 11:16 AM   #6
Rock Crawler

Wheres the dive buoy and fins??
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by special agent View Post
Wheres the dive buoy and fins??
Ran out of time and room

Tiff did figure out how to make slippahs from craft foam and plastic bead lace. I'll throw those together if I get a minute
Old 05-15-2013, 11:39 AM   #8
Rock Crawler

I love it
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
Rock Crawler

Braddah! That Mog is MEAN!!!! Lovin the sand ramps. BIG fan of the tires. Good luck to you and Tiff for the G6.
808DA6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #10

Awesome! more pics please
AvriX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
I wanna be Dave

Real nice

Hope you don't loose that light bar, wheels look a bit big for my taste
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 07:09 AM   #12
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808DA6 View Post
Braddah! That Mog is MEAN!!!! Lovin the sand ramps. BIG fan of the tires. Good luck to you and Tiff for the G6.
Much mahalos I'm very happy the way it turned out and it wheels great
They are the ramps from rc4wd. They come flat and I just bend them up with duckbill pliers and I got luck finding those tires, they rock!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvriX View Post
Awesome! more pics please
Thank you, I plan to get some more non-poseur action shots this weekend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
Real nice

Hope you don't loose that light bar, wheels look a bit big for my taste
Thanks, I've rolled it a couple times already during test n tune and the light bar has held up so far, just got keep the rubber side down

I know the tire/wheel combo isn't super scale but they work really well.
And the one guy up top is right, I do like pitbull tires, I have 4 different sets of pitbulls in various heights and widths for this truck depending on the situation
Old 05-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I am building a Mog at the moment...and toyed with the idea of PitBulls...It was very enlightening to see yours...gave me some perspective. Right now I have some Ripsaws on it because I had them laying around. I also like the Trepadors, plus they are narrower...if I comp with this rig, I have to consider those...plus the Bulls
Postclanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Postclanker View Post
I am building a Mog at the moment...and toyed with the idea of PitBulls...It was very enlightening to see yours...gave me some perspective. Right now I have some Ripsaws on it because I had them laying around. I also like the Trepadors, plus they are narrower...if I comp with this rig, I have to consider those...plus the Bulls

Right on, more mogs, mo' better

I started off with 3.5" big bores but then switched to 4" big bores for the bigger cut n shut 1.9s so when the regular 1.9's (slightly stretched on 1.5" wide 1.9 wheels) are mounted it throws off the look a bit but still performs well.

I've seen a couple pics of a mog running trepadors and it looked good. I feel the Treps are a good tire, taller over the 1.9 pitbulls, a bit skinnier side by side to the pitbulls, but Treps lend to the tall agricultural look under the mog cab.

@Kitty Yea, you could say I'm a fan of pitbull tires

Old 05-17-2013, 11:25 AM   #15
Pebble Pounder

you could take some lexan sheet and make some boat sides that way you can still have the light show thru and still slide against stuff while protecting your gear just a thought XD
arcanecrawler89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 PM   #16
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcanecrawler89 View Post
you could take some lexan sheet and make some boat sides that way you can still have the light show thru and still slide against stuff while protecting your gear just a thought XD
Ah ha yes! Awesome idea

It will be hella easier than the sheet metal and delrin I was trying to work with.
Old 05-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #17
RCC Addict

Well the Mog past its first official test at the Rippin' Lips RECON G6 this past weekend

Came off the first stage with only a busted gear in the winch transmission from winching the 5 rig party I was running with. Other than that, the Rock Bull was G6 approved. Also completed the bonus 2.2 driver challenged and winched a couple wraiths through it as well
[/URL]

Here was my attempt at the sled pull with the Bautista Terror, first try I broke the hook for the sled so I took a mulligan with a new hook, only got about have way due to poor track conditions but it made for a sweet pic

I replaced the winch transmission and off to the night stage. The over abundance of lighting helped with find the trail markers and the only real trouble the I had was a crevasse/v-notch where I should have drove to the left a bit more, but got stuck on the roll cage and had to do some work to get it unstuck. We did two laps for the night stage and when I got to the same trouble area the second time I took a higher line to the left and pop right through.

Overall I'm very happy with how the rig performed, it could use another half inch on the wheelbase for those long reach, waterfall type lines.
I'll post some more pics when I get them from Rivas Concepts when he has the time to sort them out
Old 05-21-2013, 08:05 PM   #18
Chassis & Tubework Vendor

Wow this rig turned out great! Love the pic of it pulling the sled
MG200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 09:45 PM   #19
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MG200 View Post
Wow this rig turned out great! Love the pic of it pulling the sled
That's all you boss, I just put the parts around it

Added a 1/4" spacer to the rear lower links and now she's pulling some sweet lines. I'll post some slight mod pics here in a bit
Old 05-22-2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Ikaika what winch is that??
special agent is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
4x4, axial, mog, scale, unimog

The Crawl Space "Rock Bull" Unimog. (pic heavy) - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"Shakedown" Comp @ The Crawl Space. Friday, Oct. 14th. The Crawl Space Colorado 16 10-15-2011 03:57 PM
Saturday, Oct. 1st. "Official" Grand Opening of The Crawl Space The Crawl Space Colorado 44 10-03-2011 09:50 PM
The Crawl Space "Run what you Brung" GTG - Nov 28, 2010 Rckcrwlr Pennsylvania 10 11-28-2010 07:42 PM
W.Pa.C. "The Crawl Space" Winter Series Finals - March 14th Rckcrwlr Competitions 4 03-13-2010 07:33 PM
"The Crawl Space" Indoor Trail and Comp Facility Rckcrwlr Chit Chat 9 11-28-2008 08:40 PM