Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Need your suggestions before I buy and build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #1

Default Need your suggestions before I buy and build

I want to build a scaler that looks like my all silver hard top wrangler unlimited. I just bought a New Bright body in good shape. I'd like the members' input on my build plan. Tell me where I'm making a mistake and add your ideas.

Goal: lowest cost method for the best near factory scale look i can get. My only 1:1 mods I want to mimic are a 2.5" lift and 34" tires. Performance is secondary. It should crawl OK and be fast enough to worry me about my pretty paint job.

Plan:
1. Buy a used low hour scx10 RTR since $275 is cheaper than buying the individual scx10 components I intend to use.
2. Only use the Tx, Rx, ESC, motor, trans, drive shats (if I can), axles, skid plate, front and rear bumper mounts.
3. Mount them on GCM crosscanyon rails ($40)
4. Position the trans at a point where spur gear sits under center console without cutting. I only want 2.5" of 1:1 lift, SO I'M NOT SURE IF THIS WILL WORK. YOU TELL ME!
5. Custom links to get 13.25" wheel base
6. Use stock 90mm shocks if possible, if not buy King 70mm dual springs.
7. Cut off and make custom rear shock mount if necessary so tower sits in void of rear seat back.
8. Buy Wraith Anti Sway kit from Hot Racing. Mount front and rear. (If I'm going fast I can't afford to roll this body)
9. Locate battery, ESC, Rx under hood.
10. Wheels: I need to find 1.9s that look like AEV savegre and dont cost a fortune. Taimya Pajero wheels is the best for now, but far from a 5 hole design. NEED IDEAS HERE
11. Tires, something that looks like a goodyear duratrac and is 100mm tall +-
12. Paint the body OEM bright silver once I've mounted everything and ran it a few times to make sure all is well. I plan to keep front and rear new bright bumpers and side steps. I will mount a real spare tire and wheel that match the other 4.
13. Add the rubber mirrors I saw somewhere
14. Add tinted lexan in the hard top and small vertical glass area of rear doors.
15. Find a cool driver
16. What pinion should I run for acceptable crawling and just under scary fast?

Problems? Better ideas?
hozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2013, 07:42 PM   #2
Rock Crawler

Default Re: Need your suggestions before I buy and build

If this is ur first truck u should just buy a Dingo or honcho ur price isnt too far off from a new one that needs just a battery and upgrade as u break stuff
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:47 PM   #3
Rock Crawler

As for tires, RC4wd makes a "Duratrac" and they are right about the height you need. Only issue is that they are for a 1.5" rim which will look absolutely tiny on a Newbright JK.

Invader 1.55" Offroad Tires
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 07:59 PM   #4
Rock Crawler

you could probably stretch the tire of a narrow 1.9 rim
theloudone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Post a picture of your 1:1 rig

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2
z50king is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:13 PM   #6
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohioskills View Post
If this is ur first truck u should just buy a Dingo or honcho ur price isnt too far off from a new one that needs just a battery and upgrade as u break stuff
Yes, and you will break stuff!
scottanthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 08:56 PM   #7

Yes 1st rc sinc a team associated 20 years ago. Been just playing w toy copters and cars w kids. Time to get serious. Almost bought & built xj before I bought jku. Did tons of research and planning. I love how scaler rc is the same parts and theory, just cheaper.

Thanks for the invader tire link. Looks perfect for tread and o.d. What's the % chance they would fit a 1.9 wheel?

If I trimmed the I.d. could a bead lock 1.9 capture the lip? I'd be running foam inserts for shape any way...

Ill post up 1:1 when I figure how w out a url llink.
Old 05-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Honestly? the New bright is where you might have gone wrong on the whole direction of the project. The true budget build would be to buy a RTR honcho, and a Proline Wrangler unlimited body. New bright is 1:8 scale, you will have trouble finding a scale wheel combination. the Proline body will give you a pretty great replica of your 1:1, for very little cost and customization compared to what you have listed. Spray the Proline body silver, make sure to use Tamiya smoke on the side and rear windows, take your time when painting and I guarentee you'll be happier than a never ending project.
Arctic Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 07:55 PM   #9

Found the wheels I want. BWD vertex 1.9. Anyone have some to sell?

http://a1.l3-images.myspacecdn.com/i...db5341c7/l.jpg
Old 05-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #10

I may go custom chassis. The gcm crosscanyon combo looks great but not perfect for low lift. I want a straight to the front rail over the axle and ill add width so I can lower the motor trans. I'll also,get the rear towers perfect behind the back seat. Maybe an ax2 trans. There goes the budget build!

Need your suggestions before I buy and build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need your suggestions before I buy and build hozer 1.9 Scale Rigs 10 05-15-2013 04:35 AM
build suggestions scx10mudder Axial SCX-10 2 10-23-2011 07:39 PM
My Build... Suggestions? BluFalcon Axial AX-10 Scorpion 6 01-17-2011 09:21 PM
New build Suggestions frito Axial XR10 13 12-02-2010 10:50 AM
Looking to buy an air brush...opinions? suggestions? Shadow Fox Tools, and Procedures 13 01-06-2010 09:57 AM