Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Dual Batteries???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 09:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default Dual Batteries???

I have had my JK about 6 months now and am just starting to mod. The question is would it hurt to wire in 2 5k mah batteries together to give longer run time and better weight distribution. Also what would be the best way to accomplish this. I am planning on just making a custom y-cable so everything can be unplugged individually. Currently they are both in the JK just not wired together. I have on in the back and one in the front. I'm a bit new to all this and will appreciate the input. Weight doesn't seem to be an issue even with wheel weights it weighs in about 7.5lbs

Thanks
SCX10 JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #2
Jus
I wanna be Dave

Default Re: Dual Batteries???

Why do you currently keep two batteries in the truck like that?

What are you getting for run time now?

Depending on the motor and your driving style, 5000mah could give upwards of 3-4 hours of run time. In my experience anyway. I'm O.K. with changing batteries after such a long time, instead of adding all that weight high up on the frame like that.
Jus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 09:49 PM   #3
Pebble Pounder

I run 2 2650mah 3s packs on my scaler to even out the weight. You can make a connector like you mentioned or depending on what type of plugs you have you may be able to buy one. eBay and amazon both have them for deans plugs
BAWLER CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

Yeah, that does seem like a bit overkill. I run 3s 2200mah, and I get an hour and a half and beyond depending on what kind of trails I'm doing. I bring three packs with me on day outings and rarely had to use the 3rd. A buddy uses a 3000mah in his 10+ # rig and easily gets 2 hours. And I agree with the above about having all that weight up there. Good luck! And if you choose to go big anyway, let us know how she rolls. :thumbup:
TekmoCrawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jus View Post
Why do you currently keep two batteries in the truck like that?

What are you getting for run time now?

Depending on the motor and your driving style, 5000mah could give upwards of 3-4 hours of run time. In my experience anyway. I'm O.K. with changing batteries after such a long time, instead of adding all that weight high up on the frame like that.
Well a couple of the runs that I do are in a state park and my buddy and I usually drive in and out. Trip in is about a mile in and a mile or so back so its a long walk. I avg about 3 hrs run time depending on what kind of trail we are running. So far I have not seen any negatives with the positions of the batteries or the weight which is reasonable for scale weight.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by TekmoCrawl View Post
Yeah, that does seem like a bit overkill. I run 3s 2200mah, and I get an hour and a half and beyond depending on what kind of trails I'm doing. I bring three packs with me on day outings and rarely had to use the 3rd. A buddy uses a 3000mah in his 10+ # rig and easily gets 2 hours. And I agree with the above about having all that weight up there. Good luck! And if you choose to go big anyway, let us know how she rolls. :thumbup:

I may have to rethink the way I want to do this and try more experiments with weight and location of battery. I will say this it will crawl up about anything at the moment with solid traction. What is the best place to mount the battery. I know I want it down to keep the COG down as low as possible.
Old 05-10-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Quarry Creeper

Make shelf brackets to put the packs on the rocker guards. That's what I'm going to do. I have 2500 packs that I'll use. For 5000 packs you may have to put them up on edge.
65BAJA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:29 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

i run dual 5k mah on the rock rails, i just plug in one at a time so i know when it's time to turn back to the parking lot
T3rry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

I run 2x 3s 2100 on the side rails ( I have proline undertray so they attach to that) running in parallel so I have 4200mah and that lasts for ages.
rustykaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:12 AM   #10
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65BAJA View Post
Make shelf brackets to put the packs on the rocker guards. That's what I'm going to do. I have 2500 packs that I'll use. For 5000 packs you may have to put them up on edge.
Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rry View Post
i run dual 5k mah on the rock rails, i just plug in one at a time so i know when it's time to turn back to the parking lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by rustykaos View Post
I run 2x 3s 2100 on the side rails ( I have proline undertray so they attach to that) running in parallel so I have 4200mah and that lasts for ages.

I like the sound of mounting to the rock rails. Can you guys post some pics of how you mounted them or what kind of bracket I would use? Also how does this impact the crawling ability? I know the weight would be down low and evenly displaced but does it cause it to tip sideways at all?

Dual Batteries??? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
dual batteries? dual motors? mud$lut Newbie General 4 11-07-2011 05:25 PM
Dual 35s batteries hlrider130 Electronics 5 10-26-2011 09:07 PM
Dual batteries camobob Redcat Crawlers 10 02-25-2010 09:24 PM
dual batteries with dual MM's? ClodMaxx Electronics 6 02-19-2008 10:29 PM
Dual batteries milje General Crawlers 4 10-16-2006 01:29 PM