Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: How long should a Tekin 35t motor last?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2013, 01:25 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default How long should a Tekin 35t motor last?

When I bought this motor they mentions that is was rebuildable. At what stage of use does this become needed?

When it comes time what is the process and what spare kit is needed?

Thanks guys
gtione is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: How long should a Tekin 35t motor last?

it all depends on how much you use the motor but just keep an eye on the brushes as and when they wear down you may hear the motor change the noise it makes when that happens you would need new brush`s and when you do change them also clean the comm with some sandpaper nothing too rough though just enough to clean the junk off.

if you look at post no 11 of this thread you will see a motor stripped down there will be two screws in the top take them off and the top should come off. i think the brush`s are held in by one spring for each brush dont lose them as there a bugger to get hold off unclip them and pull the brush`s out and then pull the comm out and then reverse for putting back together

Last edited by boohoo; 05-17-2013 at 04:37 PM.
boohoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by boohoo View Post
it all depends on how much you use the motor but just keep an eye on the brushes as and when they wear down you may hear the motor change the noise it makes when that happens you would need new brush`s and when you do change them also clean the comm with some sandpaper nothing too rough thoguh just enough to clean the junk off
So how many hours use are we talking here?
Old 05-17-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
RCC Addict

The most important consideration is gear ratio & temperature.
If over geared you could roast a brushed motor in minutes.
Comm & brushes are the wear points.
it would be impossible to estimate the hours before rebuild due to so many variables that are involved.
I am sending a brand new 35T back to the factory for a rebuild/inspection & i didn't get 3 packs through it & the same motor I have read people getting a year or more out of it before rebuild.
It truly depends on how fast the brushes wear & how much damage the comm takes from your use & setup.
Dostradamas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

I got four years out of my Tekin 35t.

Sent from my SGH-T769 using Tapatalk 2
boisetrucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 08:26 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

I've got 2 years so far out of mine. that's Running it in water fully submerged, dirt, rocks, trail runs, crawling.
PontiacGT201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

Thanks guys that gives me a better idea of what to expect.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Am I right? I saw that Tower Hobbies was one of few places to offer the Tekin motor rebuild kits (brushes and springs) specifically for the Pro hand-wound motors. (As well as kits for the HD version as well.) I also read somewhere that the Reedy 767 laydown brushes would work as well. My question is, how detrimental would it be, if any, in running brushes made with different materials by different manufacturers and even within the same manufacturer? Would they be compatible as long as they fit? Do I solder on the old tabs from the worn brushes, or just screw the leads onto the posts? Any help would be much appreciated. Seems as though running in water (with debris) really accelerates wear.
sixtyspokes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 03:01 PM   #9
RCC Addict

if your not going to cut the comm your only half rebuilding it. do it right the first time and the motor wil last/ perform better
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2013, 11:41 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

Crawlhog - please explain what / how to do that... go real slow, I need to learn...
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixtyspokes View Post
Crawlhog - please explain what / how to do that... go real slow, I need to learn...
Me too, I just got my 35T and its my first brushed motor since 2000 when I was running a RC10T3 haha... changed brushes them but never "cut the comm" how do you do that
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:44 AM   #12
Quarry Creeper

YouTube it. You can use a drill and fine grit sandpaper...
Arnel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 03:27 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

You need a comm lathe
Johnnysplits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #14
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arnel View Post
YouTube it. You can use a drill and fine grit sandpaper...
you could but the comm would not be straight, and it still only half fixed.
not reccomended if you want a proper rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnysplits View Post
You need a comm lathe
thats the proper way to do it, the best way is to send it to HH or fast eddie and let them cut it for you. it will be like a new motor , more power and will run better. OR you can buy a lathe and do it youself. I cut all my comms when i rebuild my motors and then break in the brushes. the final results are awesome, just like you bought a new motor.
crawlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Oh I see, comm lathe. So it's kinda like getting my rotors turned when replacing brake pads on my 1:1. Thanks guys!
Old 06-21-2013, 09:17 AM   #16
Pebble Pounder

I have been running my Novak 45 brushed motor for five years now and have only changed the brushes once. I run 2s lipo with low gears. 12 t pinon and 87 spur and the HD ring and pinon gear are the low also.
Quartermaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:47 PM   #17
Rock Crawler

you can have a tekin handwound pro 35T for many years,,,
the only thing you need to do is to "clean" trim off the coam two times a year if you use it for crawling,,,If it is a scalerc that you drive across mud and alot off gravel and mold I guess you need to have the coam cleaned 4 times a year and remeber to change brushes and springs everytime you have a overhauling on youre motors...
I drive only 2.2 pro and I dont have the pain in the ass with alot off mud and gravel and sand,so I only trim the coam two times a year and I have bought handwond 35T pro tekin and 35T heavy duty and I did run them for 2 years witout any troubble..
I guess you can have the motors untill there is nothing left off the coam to trim off it,,he he he..
and they are 10mm so that would be some years,,You can have the same tekin in the retierment home when you pass 70,,,
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:05 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

So I rebuilt the motor but used the same brushes again and everything touch wood has been great. The only change of note since doing this is that the motor sounds a little noisier or louder. Any idea why this may be?

Thank you everybody for your input..
Old 08-25-2014, 04:19 PM   #19
MODERATOR™

That's probably the sharper edges of the commutator grinding/scraping away at the brushes. That happens until the sharp edge gets a bit knocked off, and the brushes become re-contoured to the different shape of the commutator (assuming it was cut). Changing the brushes is pretty important for reasons a lot of people don't consider. Shorter brushes will have less spring pressure on them, and well, that changes things. At the very least, imagine that because you have less spring pressure on them, the mechanical resistance that helps create more drag brake is now less. Drag brake is less. Never mind spring hop and other things...
EeePee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #20
Rock Crawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtione View Post
So I rebuilt the motor but used the same brushes again and everything touch wood has been great. The only change of note since doing this is that the motor sounds a little noisier or louder. Any idea why this may be?

Thank you everybody for your input..
Did you grind some off the coam??,, only a 1/10 off a mm is enough,,the coam has too be so shiny that you can use it as a mirror,,should be as good as new,or even better,,
This is a very important thing to remember and ALWAYS throw away old brushes,,
even if they are only used for 20min,,,
You loose so mutch effect on the motors when not have the coam are dirty off the dust off the brushes is on the coam,,,
And a good idea is too always buy new springs aswell,,the springs loose their power after some time,,,
I drive only 2.2pro and I polish the coam 3 or 4 times a year,,and always set in new brushes and springs,,
What does it cost you for some springs and some brushes,,
20$ and you have for 2 years,,,
It is a cheep way to have the most effect off the motors at all time,,
FLOKI-81 is offline   Reply With Quote

How long should a Tekin 35t motor last? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Tekin tekin 35t hand wound motor vegas1973 Electronics 2 08-17-2012 10:22 AM
tekin fxr w 35t motor Chappy4o Electronics 5 05-31-2010 06:06 PM
Do i have the right MOTOR? tekin 35t pro jeepster73 Electronics 5 02-05-2010 07:55 AM