Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: A few questions..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2013, 12:20 PM   #1

Question A few questions..

Hi everyone,

I am looking into buying a SCX (Either Honcho or Dingo). I do not know which one I should get. I would like a kit but I do not like the Dingo body/short wheelbase. So I guess ill get a Honcho and remove the electronics...

Will this setup work?
Motor and ESC:
TowerHobbies.com | Castle Creations 1/10 SV3 Sidewinder WP 4600kV System
Servo:
Savox Servos, Savox SC-1256TG Standard Digital High Torque Titanium Gear Servo - A Main Hobbies - A Main Hobbies
TX:
Spektrum DX4S DSMR 4-Channel Surface Radio w/Telemetry [SPM4000] | Radios & Accessories - A Main Hobbies
And all powered by:
Traxxas 3S "Power Cell" 25C Li-Poly Battery w/Traxxas Connector (11.1V/3300mAh) [TRA2846] | RC Cars & Trucks - A Main Hobbies

I really wish the SCX Honcho kit was still around..

Thanks in advance.

Pgz
Penguinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2013, 12:25 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: A few questions..

Why not get a Jeep scx10 kit? Then you would get a better looking body and a kit to put together.
JBailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #3
Scale Detail Engineering

Most of that list will work but that's a lot of motor for a scaler.

Most people run brushed motors, around 27t - 35t on 3s.
The Holmes Hobbies BR-XL is a great esc for brushed motors.

If you want to go brushless, you should get a sensored motor, it's the only way to get low end control from BL. You will need to waterproof it though, use a spray like Conformal Coating.

Also, IMHO, if your going to spend the money on a nice radio, check out the Futaba 4PL. I've had better luck with Futaba then Spektrum... or, look into the hacked Flysky radio from Overkill RC.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:27 PM   #4
Pebble Pounder

I think the dingo kit comes with the links needed for the honcho wheelbase. I would probably just sell the dingo body and buy whatever body I wanted.
BAWLER CRAWLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
Rock Crawler

Seems like a good setup. I'd go with 30c or better for the battery just based on all the suggestions/reviews I've read. I like my Futaba 4PL and have only used a DX3E, or whatever came with the TwinHammer and changed to my 4PL shortly afterward.

I am planning a similar build later this year and wish there was a Honcho KIT, but I'll end buying the Honcho body kit from somewhere.
offroadace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM   #6

@Jbailey: I will have to look at those. I did't know of such a things. Thanks!

@johhny866: A 4600kv motor would be a lot of motor for this?! Lol I was looking for a 2200kv or lower! I am going to use this truck for hill climbing and mild crawling. I wanted Spektrum because all my other trucks run it. Then I can use the one TX for all of them.

@brawlercrawler: I also did not know that the Dingo came with the longer links. Thank you

@offroadance: I went with the traxxas 3s lipo because I use them in all my other trucks and they work fine. In fact castle recomends them!

Thanks!
Pgz
Old 05-20-2013, 01:38 PM   #7
Rock Stacker

I just put together my first kit, SCX-10 jeep and went with a MMP esc and a Tekin 17.5 Redline motor. With the little running I have been able to do with it, it seems to be great. If you want to go brushless and still have the nice low end craw-ability I would go with a sensored motor esc combination.
toyota2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 01:55 PM   #8

I want brushless because that seems like the direction all the motors are going. Sensor motors are not waterproof right? I also hear that a damaged sensor wire can cause serious damage... How fast will a 35 turn Tekin go on 3s with the sidewinder? I want about 10 miles per hour or at least enough to kick up some roost. I don't really want to make it into a crawler but more or less a fun basher type rig. I basically want something like this... Axial Racing - Bender’s Custom SCX10 Prerunner Build

Pgz
Old 05-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #9
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBailey View Post
Why not get a Jeep scx10 kit? Then you would get a better looking body and a kit to put together.
This..................................

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post

If you want to go brushless, you should get a sensored motor, it's the only way to get low end control from BL. You will need to waterproof it though, use a spray like Conformal Coating.

Also, IMHO, if your going to spend the money on a nice radio, check out the Futaba 4PL. I've had better luck with Futaba then Spektrum... or, look into the hacked Flysky radio from Overkill RC.
3s lipo, FlySky radio with tx lipo. IME Traxxas batteries are like most rtr batteries, low performance, don't waste money on them....hobbypartz or hobbyking has way better batteries for way less money. Traxxas 21 turn Emaxx motor is a great crawler motor for good price.

Last edited by Natedog; 05-20-2013 at 02:00 PM.
Natedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:02 PM   #10
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penguinz View Post
I want brushless because that seems like the direction all the motors are going. Sensor motors are not waterproof right? I also hear that a damaged sensor wire can cause serious damage... How fast will a 35 turn Tekin go on 3s with the sidewinder? I want about 10 miles per hour or at least enough to kick up some roost. I don't really want to make it into a crawler but more or less a fun basher type rig. I basically want something like this... Axial Racing - Bender’s Custom SCX10 Prerunner Build

Pgz
Bender says he's using a 12t motor... so if that's what your looking for, yeah... a 35t is way to slow.

I used to run brushed (HH 14t Puller on 6s) but switched to a brushless Tekin Pro4 3300 and love it!
Old 05-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #11
Scale Detail Engineering

Quote:
Sensor motors are not waterproof right?
a few coats of this on the electronics board will waterproof anything.
Techspray 2106-12S HT High-Temp Silicone Conformal Coating
Old 05-20-2013, 03:14 PM   #12
RCC Addict

4pl best all around for money...imo(most options for all rigs)
Savox is great but Hitec is faster & smoother hands down 7955tg or bigger,the hobbico cs170 has 333oz torque$85!!!
I run a 13t HH/Brxl & 35t tekin pro/FXR both on both scx10's great combos!!!
Brushless pro 4, 13.5,4 pole,etc shreds stock drivetrain so need to upgrade asap!!!
I have or at least tried all above & on these rigs most use brushed...I think???
The only major issue is brushless cost double & requires more upgrades for dependabiliy!
3s lipo...anything but Traxxas imo!!!(hobbypartz.com)

Last edited by sic1to; 05-20-2013 at 03:34 PM.
sic1to is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #13
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyh66 View Post

I agree....heck....I've been running mine hard for a year now, still on the stock electronics with zero problems. Only casualties have been a stripped spur gear and a bent rear axle shaft. I run my Honcho on a 2s, 5000mah 50c Lipo.
HDMM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 06:59 PM   #14
Rock Stacker

i reccomend the 4pl! and traxxas lipos are alittle pricey. I have had very good luck with the lipos from hobbypartz.com. Cant go wrong with those for the price.
PSSUPERSTORE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 11:05 PM   #15
Rock Crawler

Quote:

Pgz
The best part about Bender's vids (besides the cool rigs) is that several are backed with Tool tracks. Probably my fav music to have on the headphones while I'm crawling.
05Fronty4x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #16

Ok So after more research I am going with a 35t Tekin Pro.

So ill order,

Honcho RTR
35t Tekin Pro
Spektrum DX4S----It will connect to my other trucks.
Steering Link Upgrade Set
Maybe a Hitec Servo too...

I will be running a 3s Traxxas lipo that I already have.

Pgz

A few questions.. - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lipo questions with charger questions can you all help champ198 Electronics 16 05-02-2013 01:24 PM
lipo questions with charger questions can you all help champ198 Electronics 0 04-30-2013 05:54 PM
Questions questions questions quest qowirnl RYY Newbie General 11 10-04-2006 08:18 PM
Questions? krazymtbr General Crawlers 2 01-24-2006 05:06 AM