Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: Drive Shafts for SCX10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #1
Pebble Pounder

Default Drive Shafts for SCX10?

Okay what fits? MIP says they do not have a set to fit the JK Rubicon.

Anyone know what is the best front and rear shafts that fit the Rubicon SCX10 like to get it ordered today.

Thanks

Dave
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-13-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: Drive Shafts for SCX10?

I have the junfac shafts for the wraith and the fit perfect.
GravelDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 09:31 AM   #3
Quarry Creeper

mip will fit JK but with some trimming or removing the gear cover
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Are you talking about the transmission to axle shafts? If so, you just run the updated through hole trans outputs, and through hole diff inputs (If you have an alder SCX10) with t-maxx driveshafts, and you will never break anything. And it is cheap to do. Or if you are trying to fit in and just run bling aftermarket BS to impress people, there are several "Shiny" expensive, not as good options available.
NFA Fabrication is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 06:09 AM   #5
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Are you talking about the transmission to axle shafts? If so, you just run the updated through hole trans outputs, and through hole diff inputs (If you have an alder SCX10) with t-maxx driveshafts, and you will never break anything. And it is cheap to do. Or if you are trying to fit in and just run bling aftermarket BS to impress people, there are several "Shiny" expensive, not as good options available.
Marx shafts are only a few bucks cheaper than MIPs when you add it up. Unless you know something I don't.
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:42 AM   #6

You can give the Twin Hammers shafts a try I know on the SCX-10 they are about 2mm from the bearing which can be easily filled by washers. But in your case they may just fit right.
Crawlerfiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:02 AM   #7
Pebble Pounder

No, Im looking for a good metal bullet proof shaft, not bling but the build is on the heavy side with a lot of stuff.

WIth thr Torque I will have and all the gears updated I want to make sure the drive shafts are not a weak point anywhere.

T bought s set of MIP's already just waiting on them, My alxe's themselves are the only weak link, but that upgrade will come later or the plastic Axial housings may hold up well.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveFL View Post
Okay what fits? MIP says they do not have a set to fit the JK Rubicon.

Anyone know what is the best front and rear shafts that fit the Rubicon SCX10 like to get it ordered today.

Thanks

Dave
Mips are about as good as one can get for driveshafts. As mentioned the mips will fit with a lil gear cover trimming and screw pins instead of the set screws to make use of the thru hole trans outputs/axle inputs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFA Fabrication View Post
Driveshafts transmit torque from transmission to axles. Axleshafts go inside the axle and transmit torque from diff out to wheels. The Rubicon SCX10 JK already has thru hole outputs/inputs, although not a requirement it's less maintenance.

Maxx shafts are a good driveshaft option as well but require more clearancing, are not much cheaper than mips and are even less scale "looking" than mips.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #9
Rock Stacker

According to MIP the rubicon should be using the wraith shafts. I just ordered mine and will post how it works.
ed701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 11:54 AM   #10
Pebble Pounder

The shafts work, just like Kitty said. But you have to trim you motor cover or remove it and run it with the spur gear open.

I elected to trim mine as you can see in the pic the MIP shafts with the spur cover on.

Old 06-21-2013, 03:04 PM   #11
Rock Stacker

ok, so the SCX10 drive shafts that say that they work on all models except the Rubicon kits. I have mirrored my trans, so I have no gear cover. Would I need to buy specific through pins, or would the through pins from my wild bore shafts work. I just don't know what thread the MIPs use. Also, do the universals come with holes through both sides, or do those need to be updated to take a through pin.
mszymanski25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 03:59 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszymanski25 View Post
ok, so the SCX10 drive shafts that say that they work on all models except the Rubicon kits. I have mirrored my trans, so I have no gear cover. Would I need to buy specific through pins, or would the through pins from my wild bore shafts work. I just don't know what thread the MIPs use. Also, do the universals come with holes through both sides, or do those need to be updated to take a through pin.
I used the MIP scx10 on my Rubicon no problem, installed them last week. I had to trim the gear cover (very easy, and the gear cover isn't even necessary at all). I didn't use through pins, i used the set screws that come with MIP driveshafts. only used 1 on the tranny side because I have the robinson 1 piece outdrive gear, which only has 1 flat side on the outdrive. Haven't had any problems at all

I mirrored the transmission yesterday and the MIPs still fit no problem. With the mirror you don't have a gear cover so no big deal.
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #13
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by mszymanski25 View Post
Are you using the set screws from the mip kit with the thru hole axle inputs?

The mips use an m4 set screw, traxxas screw pins will also work.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:21 AM   #14

So, are you guys running the Wraith Part no. on your SCX10?
skeelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 AM   #15
I wanna be Dave

Not specifically the wraith version... but I've mixed and matched hubs from the scx/ax, summit and wraith versions as needed. The m3 screw pin of the wraith hubs are my least favorite to deal with. The male and female bones are identical.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:39 PM   #16

I just change after one year playing with motors 27T and 45T (stock shaft) with no problem at all, I replace with " top cad" steel shaft as replace for the crawling fun with 55T motor
megapro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 08:21 AM   #17

I bought the Junfac and the MIP and with 109mm shocks the junfac were too short and the MIP binds because of the angles. Back to stock shafts searching for long enough shafts, possibly Ujoint style that can handle the angle without binding at the joint. Any suggestions?
wolfsden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016, 05:22 PM   #18
Quarry Creeper

I am looking to replace my broken shaft(s) too. i was looking at these from RPPHOBBY:

AXIAL Poison Spyder Wraith Front & Rear driveline ($23.00)

WILL THESE WORK ON MY STOCK SCX10 AXLES & TRANS?

THANKS!!!

rc dreemer is offline   Reply With Quote

Drive Shafts for SCX10? - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
drive shafts for modified scx10 creaturecrawler Axial SCX-10 8 09-17-2012 03:07 PM
scx10 drive shafts demonut Axial SCX-10 4 05-23-2012 05:46 PM
scx10 drive shafts mikeman84 1.9 Scale Rigs 5 10-28-2010 05:18 PM