Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: wheels spin at uneven rate when at full turn

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default wheels spin at uneven rate when at full turn

Heya all, I have an issue with my scx10, suddenly when I turn full to either direction, the wheels get an uneven wheel speed, almost like it "surges." I am running VP 8* knuckles, and hubs, and Axial CVDs. The rest of the axle is stock. This was not a problem before, I am not sure why it started now. I have not messed with endpoints, it has been set at 100% since day one, But suddenly now when I turn fully to one direction or another this issue occures. Nothing looks broken or bent. The CVDs are running gunnar pins and they look fine. Any ideas or directions to look would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
mszymanski25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2013, 01:30 PM   #2
RCC Addict

At full lock, CVDs will tend to bind. Not because of bad equipment but by design. Try backing off your end points a bit or bring down your dual rate. This will save your servo too

Sent from a rock
gottorque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #3
I wanna be Dave

Agreed try to limit the throw a bit. Easiest way is look directly on at eye level of the front axle while all powered up and slowly turn till the mechanical throw is at its limit for both left and right, and turn down the epa's. This is better twofold, you won't burn up the steering servo and the cvd's won't be thrown past their durable limits.

The sound you hear is possibly the cvd's past their limit, basically getting in and out of bind each revolution.
Meatwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 02:58 PM   #4
Scale Detail Engineering

Default Re: wheels spin at uneven rate when at full turn

x3.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:48 PM   #5
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info guys, Ill look at the steering. but i don't think its at the limit of the CVD, because when the truck is powered off, I can turn The steering further than the servo does. Its definately strange to me. I'm going to go look at it now, and turn down the EPA and see if it helps.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

ok, I have messed with the steering and i am definitely not reaching the limits of the CVDs. I did notice today, that when moving on the slow side, I notice it also slightly when going straight, but much more pronounced when turning. If I happen to have some speed on, and turn the axle hops pretty violently. I looked at the transmission, and the axle. I do not see any glaring issues. Has anyone had an issue like this? It kinda has me stumped. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:10 PM   #7
Scale Detail Engineering

Are you running the Wild Boar driveshafts?
The pins all need to be lined up or they will bind.
johnnyh66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 03:16 PM   #8
Rock Crawler

Pinion angle maybe put washers so its pointing more up instead of down stopped mine from hopping
kakachille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

ill look at my pinion angle, can i clock the axles with vanquish 8* knuckles? Also if it is Pinion angle, would MIP drive shafts allow for more angle? Just looking for any solution i can find. The suspension is all stock, I haven't raised the truck or anything, so I wonder why it would be too much angle. I will check the marks on the drive shaft and make sure they are lined up. thanks for the info guys.
Old 06-26-2013, 12:30 PM   #10
Rock Stacker

I am still having this issue. I have upgraded the drive shaft to MIPs with the 10145 kit, and traxxas pins. I have torn down the axle to see whats goin on there, it all seems to look good. Here is a video of the issue I am having, hopefully you can see what I mean when I say the wheels move with uneven power. I know the tires are wonky, I just got some CI foams, to replace the stock ones, I have to remount the tires, as I cant seem to get them straight to save my life, lol. The issue started before I replaced the foams, and the shocks, as well as the drive shafts. all were done today since I had it all off, and it runs the same way. Please have a look at the video and let me know what you think. Thanks

Scx10 front axle issue - YouTube
Old 06-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #11
Rock Crawler

did you put them shocks on or come with truck what size are they

Last edited by Ohioskills; 06-26-2013 at 12:38 PM.
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 12:42 PM   #12
Rock Stacker

those are 93mm gmade xd piggybacks. they are only 2 mm longer than the stock Icons which are 91 at full extension. But as I said, I had this problem with the stock ICON shocks. :(
Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #13
Rock Crawler

if u put it on its back and put ur hands on the axials with a lil pressure while there turning does it stop and smooth out
Ohioskills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:01 PM   #14
Pebble Pounder

Can you post up a video so folks can actually see or hear what is going on? It might help out a lot and keep everyone from guessing.
TriggerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Turning it on its back, and applying pressure does not change anything. Post number 10 has a link to a video of what I am talking about.
Old 06-26-2013, 01:32 PM   #16
I wanna be Dave

did you disconnect the drive shafts doing other upgrades ?

looks like what mine did when I upgraded my links...

I put the drive shafts back together forgetting to phase them.
There are alignment marks on the shafts...
if these are not aligned correctly...
then it will cause a surge effect...
and if they are way out of phase...
then the axles will shake like crazy.

I was several splines off initially...
caused that surge and the axles shook badly...

fixed that but was still one spline off the marks...
still had a slight surge to the front drive.

check that your drive shafts are in phase.

another thing...

I found the screws holding the "C" hubs on
had loosened some... and created more slop in the axle.
Be sure to check and be sure that all the screws in the axle housing assembly remain secure/snug.
TacoCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 01:38 PM   #17
Pebble Pounder

Sorry for over looking your video. Only thing I can think of is a locker issue of some sort. But since you say you have taken the axles apart to check things out I have to assume that is ok. Are the ends of the axle shaft that slide into the 3rd member (locker) good? Maybe there is slop in there that lets it jump now and a again.
TriggerMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 06:48 PM   #18
Rock Stacker

thanks for the info guys, I am running MIP drive shafts, I don't think I have to index the drive shaft for them, but correct me if i'm wrong. I will undoubtedly take the axle appart again, and inspect the locker further. I do know that my screws for the c-hubs are not holding the strongest. I will do something about them. I do have bearings from fast Eddie coming, so Ill probably replace them as I tear into it, I already had one seize on the transmission, and one on the axle is not as smooth as the others, but it happens on both sides. Maybe it will take some slop out. I do notice some slop in the CVDs like the axle pin does wobble up and down a lil with the wheel off, something I discovered a lil bit ago. It is very minor, but who knows maybe that's part of it. I was just thinking too, there is some slop between the CVD shoulder and the bearing it passes through. Could this cause it, and would the new bearings fix this? I know that I can grab the wheel and "wobble" it just a hair. Just another question.

Last edited by mszymanski25; 06-26-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 01:58 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Ok, I think I narrowed it down to the ring gear in the axle. Took it apart to inspect the locker again, and while turning the input shaft by hand, I noticed a "bump" in the rotation. Could this cause it? I have the hd gear sets on order. I am out of town for the next week. Hopefully this fixes it. I am running out of things to replace. Lol.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

wheels spin at uneven rate when at full turn - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
wheels spin opposite directions!!!!! aaahhhhhh!!!! rider618 Axial Wraith 6 10-03-2012 12:13 AM
HELP!! Tires shaking violently at full turn!! Vroomvroom Axial AX-10 Scorpion 14 01-27-2008 05:17 PM
Front wheels Binding at Full turn ripper7777777 General Crawlers 6 09-22-2005 01:31 PM
Front wheels spin more than back Eagle-Mark Tamiya Clod Buster 11 05-22-2005 11:33 PM