Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: JetBlast's F-250 build

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 11:11 PM   #1
Quarry Creeper

Default JetBlast's F-250 build

I decided to start up a build thread on my SCX10 Honcho. I will be converting it from the stock Honcho to the Pro-Line F-250 with the Honcho cage on the back. I also purchased a Pro-Line wide bumper kit to add to this. I plan on going with a 2 tone paint job. I am thinking red on the top and the bottom will be black. I will be picking up paint tomorrow.

I suck at cutting lexan and was too impatient to wait to get angled scissors so I used bigger ones. My fenders were a little dinged up but I will trim them up tomorrow so it looks better.

My next mods I will be purchasing soon will be shocks and Axial 1.9 beadlock wheels for my RC4WD Crazy Krawler tires. I will either build my own tubular 4 link suspension or just spend the money on a set.

Bag of goodies:

Pro-Line bumpers:

bumper test fit:

My tape job! I will be buying paint tomorrow:

front end taped:
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
Quarry Creeper

Default Re: JetBlast's F-250 build

Couple more photos of it temp mounted on the body. Once I get the cage on and get my holes right, I will know how much of the front bumper I will need to trim to flush against the body.

Old 06-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #3
Quarry Creeper

All done with painting, decals, bumper, and swearing! I discovered that I hate trying 2 tone paint jobs. No matter how perfect I THOUGHT I had the painters tape, I had a little bit of seeping when applying the blue paint. I decided to go with Blue Angel Blue for the top and Rebel Black on the bottom. When I first applied the paint, I was worried that it would not look right. Once I pealed back the protective layer, it turned out just fine! I discovered that I HATE trimming lexan. I never had to do it before. When I had my TEN-SCTE, the lexan body was already pre-cut and ready for paint.

Lexan scissors were a life saver! A note for those who want to use this half shell. If you want to use the Pro-Line bumper, you will need to cut the bottom front end of the shell a little bit to clear the bumper posts. I would assume the only way around cutting would be to raise the shell up with different body posts. I went ahead and cut my front end up to clear!

I still have some minor cleaning up to do with the paint but it turned out better than I expected.

So here is my F-250 Honcho 2 toned out!

Body paint in work

Next on the list:
-Window tint
-XD Piggyback shocks
-Axial beadlock wheels to mount with my RC4WD Crazy Krawlers

Last edited by JetBlast; 06-21-2013 at 05:23 PM.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:33 AM   #4
RCC Addict

I like it, the truck looks great overall. I've often wondered, what make of truck is the stock Honcho body supposed to represent?
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 07:47 AM   #5
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I've often wondered, what make of truck is the stock Honcho body supposed to represent?
Toyota Tacoma.
You can even get a decal sheet for it.
Well, you could, not sure about now though.
HyperMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 08:28 AM   #6
I wanna be Dave

Quote:
I like it, the truck looks great overall. I've often wondered, what make of truck is the stock Honcho body supposed to represent?
For reallious?
Calderwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Quarry Creeper

I have always wondered that myself and I saw a couple of people mention the Tacoma.

I was really worried about the color blue i chose but when I used my Rebel Black as my 5th layer over it, the color darkened up which made me happy. I didn't want to use red or some other kind of color. I don't like brighter colors reflecting back at me while on the rocks or out and about.

A quick note about this body. The corner of the front bumper (on the shell) comes close to contacting the wheels. I have not taken it out to see how it will drive but it may contact and maybe rub on it while articulating. I might be picking up a Level3 RC lift kit to go with this rig just to give me a little bit more clearance.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:03 AM   #8
RCC Addict

Looks ace. Very stout looking compared the the normal honcho shell. :-)
o0wiz0o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
Looks ace. Very stout looking compared the the normal honcho shell. :-)

Thanks! I got sick of seeing the same Honcho shell everywhere online and what not. I wanted to change things up!

I will be adding more to this thread later on. I will probably order the Level3 RC leveling kit pretty soon. I have a bit of rubbing on the front bumper even after trimming it some.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:17 AM   #10
RCC Addict

I stuck a blue oval on the front of mine.
Old 06-22-2013, 11:44 AM   #11
Rock Stacker

Great looking paint job. Love the two tone and that F250 shell.
Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 02:50 PM   #12
Quarry Creeper

We are trying to get Fletch24's SCX10 back up and running in my garage so we will probably post a couple of photos together. I ordered some RCCrawler.com decals from RPP Hobby with Fletch's parts order and decided to throw them on the truck for fun. It is a little hard to see though! Very bright outside!

Old 06-22-2013, 07:42 PM   #13
Quarry Creeper

We got Fletch24 up and running! Then he broke his steering knuckle at the end of the journey. Here are some photos of our forest/beach run!

Before getting down and dirty:

Old 06-22-2013, 09:11 PM   #14
Quarry Creeper

I need to share something with you guys. Just in case someone is eyeballing the new Pro-Line bumper set. I discovered this when I got home. I didnt know the wench rollers were able to come out! also, be sure to use the correct screws for the mounting posts. I used some short self tapping ones and they didnt hold up right. I used the medium machine screws (that came with it) to hold the mounting posts to the bumper. They seem much more sturdy.

Here is the photo of the missing wench roller! I will email Pro-Line and see what they will want to do.

Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
Rock Stacker

Next time we dont try to jump gaps and it will be a successful trip! Good pics!
Fletch24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2013, 09:35 PM   #16
RCC Addict

So the rollers I see on the bumper in your earlier photos you purchased somewhere else or did you lose it because of the shorter screws that you used? Good looking bumpers however.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:44 PM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
So the rollers I see on the bumper in your earlier photos you purchased somewhere else or did you lose it because of the shorter screws that you used? Good looking bumpers however.
Honestly, I dont know what keeps the roller on. The post screws had nothing to do with it. My bumper was a little loose at the end of the trip so i swapped out screws for slightly longer ones and I realized that the roller was gone. I emailed Pro-Line to see what they want to do about it.
Old 06-22-2013, 09:46 PM   #18
RCC Addict

OK, got it. thank you. I hope they send you a new bumper.
Old 06-23-2013, 10:00 AM   #19
Quarry Creeper

If the rollers require screws, i might just super glue them in (or locktite)! There is no need for me to remove the roller.
Old 06-23-2013, 11:26 AM   #20
RCC Addict

Yes, I agree. The bumper looks great with the roller attached. I hope Pro-line treats you right.

JetBlast's F-250 build - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1967 F-250 - Headquake inspired wood build heartless 1.5 Scale Rigs 136 05-06-2015 08:45 PM
First scx-10 F-250 build slammin1984 Axial SCX-10 34 10-10-2012 08:11 AM
K2-5 F-250 Scaler Build onlyinajeepxj 1.9 Scale Rigs 11 07-11-2008 06:53 AM