Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: 1st mod on the Honcho!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
Rock Stacker

Default 1st mod on the Honcho!

After owning my Honcho for less than 2 weeks the mod bug bit me! It seemed that the stock steering links were really flimsy, so I replaced them with Axials upgrade kit. This mod alone has made the truck easier to handle for me. I'm thinking of upgrading the suspension links, shock mounts, and mirroring the motor/tranny next Any thoughts or input would be greatly appreciated! Sorry for the pic quality, it's been a long day!
scx_dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2013, 07:48 PM   #2
Rock Stacker

Default Re: 1st mod on the Honcho!

I just did this on my rubicon tonight. Haven't tried it out yet.
Skirts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 07:56 PM   #3
Rock Stacker

I got to play with mine some. For me it's a huge improvement as it feels like the steering has a more firm feel.
Old 06-26-2013, 08:42 PM   #4
Quarry Creeper

Looks good! I wouldnt worry about mirroring/flipping the tranny. Just get it out there and have a blast. Try looking for a different set of shocks or beadlocks/tire combos! Accessory kits make honcho's fun too.
JetBlast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #5
RCC Addict

I got rid of that giant bumper and replaced it with a smaller one, moved the lights to the cross brace under the battery plate. The battery plate will disappear next, it sits too high. Have fun SCX Dave, it's a great truck.
raceeng18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #6
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I got rid of that giant bumper and replaced it with a smaller one, moved the lights to the cross brace under the battery plate. The battery plate will disappear next, it sits too high. Have fun SCX Dave, it's a great truck.
I agree the huge bumper has to go, I've been looking at a few options. Never thought of removing the battery tray to lower the battery. Thanks for the ideas!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM   #7
Rock Crawler

Get ready to start spending some money! The modding bug is painful to the wallet. But well worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Tmaxxed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2013, 09:24 PM   #8
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetBlast View Post
Looks good! I wouldnt worry about mirroring/flipping the tranny. Just get it out there and have a blast. Try looking for a different set of shocks or beadlocks/tire combos! Accessory kits make honcho's fun too.
I think that as I get better at throttle control the torque issue will go away so I probably will forget the mirroring. Shocks are definitely on my to do list, and beadlocks/ tires down the road. Thanks for the advice!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #9
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tmaxxed View Post
Get ready to start spending some money! The modding bug is painful to the wallet. But well worth it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta
Thankfully there's been some money freed up since I stopped drinking and "dipping". Not to mention crawling is healthier, well until my fiancé finds out how much will be truly spent on the truck!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #10
RCC Addict

This is what I put on my Honcho and Rubicon. No over hang to get hung up and still supports a winch. It's from RC4WD.

Part Number Z-S0641

Last edited by raceeng18; 06-27-2013 at 07:40 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:46 AM   #11
Quarry Creeper

That is a neat bumper. I like my Pro-Line bumper but I feel I should have bought the narrow one instead of wide. Oh well. I put a Level3 RC lift kit on it and raised it 1/8th of an inch and it gives me more clearance with my bumper.
Old 06-27-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
RCC Addict

I actually like the RTR links, once you go aluminum you'll start breaking the rod ends every so often. Steering definitely needs to be aluminum though.
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:52 AM   #13
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ty@Tekin View Post
I actually like the RTR links, once you go aluminum you'll start breaking the rod ends every so often. Steering definitely needs to be aluminum though.
I like making my own rods so if I bust one, I just make a new one in my garage

I definitely agree the steering should be metal though!
Old 06-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #14
RCC Addict

I'm talking about the rod ends, they break around the allthread. I just run the RTR links on the trucks I drive a lot, they give some flex, slide nice over the rocks and I've never broken one!
Ty@Tekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:02 AM   #15
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
I'm talking about the rod ends, they break around the allthread. I just run the RTR links on the trucks I drive a lot, they give some flex, slide nice over the rocks and I've never broken one!
Ah that makes more sense. I saw a couple of Youtube videos where people mentioned using just the stock links and an aftermarket steering link. Personally, I have too much time to myself and had to make mine from scratch just to say I did
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
Rock Stacker

Thanks for the input fellas! The rain here in NE Ohio has inspired me, so tonight after class and work I'm going to start the waterproofing process as described in the Axial blog. This weekend I'm going to check out the Pro-Line bumpers ( my LHS has both types) and probably order some shocks (which I was going to put off until later but both of my rear ones are seeping some already).

This bug has bitten me bad. I couldn't hardly sleep last night thinking about what I want to do next! (pathetic, maybe.... fun, YES!)
Old 06-27-2013, 10:22 AM   #17
Quarry Creeper

Quote:

using traxxas rod ends for years now,in my comp crawler and in my trail rig,didn't break not even 1,only when the rig fall from rocks or from heights,beside that,none.And if u still breaking them,check out at rc4wd,they have metal rod ends
Kitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #18
RCC Addict

I see RC4WD sells metal hyme (spelling) joints. Has anyone ever tried these? Maybe too wide to fit into the area where the link is supposed to attach? I haven't broken a Traxxas end YET.

I moved my battery to the slider this morning on the Honcho and got rid of the battery plate. The battery (2200mah) is being held on the slider with zip ties until I can make a plate. I moved my winch controller to the top of the servo. I hope R2J comes up with some sliders soon for the Honcho. I'm using his sliders on the Rubicon and have the battery on one and the winch controller and it's battery on the other. Sorry scx dave, didn't mean to hijack your thread.

Last edited by raceeng18; 06-27-2013 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:26 PM   #19
Rock Stacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by raceeng18 View Post
I see RC4WD sells metal hyme (spelling) joints. Has anyone ever tried these? Maybe too wide to fit into the area where the link is supposed to attach? I haven't broken a Traxxas end YET.

I moved my battery to the slider this morning on the Honcho and got rid of the battery plate. The battery (2200mah) is being held on the slider with zip ties until I can make a plate. I moved my winch controller to the top of the servo. I hope R2J comes up with some sliders soon for the Honcho. I'm using his sliders on the Rubicon and have the battery on one and the winch controller and it's battery on the other. Sorry scx dave, didn't mean to hijack your thread.
No worries. I appreciate it and look at it as ideas to ponder for my build.
Old 06-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #20
Quarry Creeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by scx_dave View Post
Thankfully there's been some money freed up since I stopped drinking and "dipping". Not to mention crawling is healthier, well until my fiancé finds out how much will be truly spent on the truck!
ya only had mine since February and already in to well over 1500 and thats not including the price of the truck or batterys
mark32 is offline   Reply With Quote

1st mod on the Honcho! - Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
1st Run with my Honcho!! waggaclint Axial SCX-10 10 12-04-2011 11:28 AM
RC4WD Bumper mod for a honcho Negaduck 1.9 Scale Rigs 1 10-03-2011 06:57 PM
1st rig--undercover honcho Cleangoat Axial SCX-10 13 09-19-2011 10:25 PM
Honcho Bumper mod LIFTED-ZJ Axial SCX-10 2 04-12-2010 10:58 PM