Go Back   RCCrawler Forums > Scale Rigs Brand Specific Tech > Axial Brand Scale Rock Crawlers > Axial SCX-10

Notices

Thread: My JK

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2013, 08:39 PM   #1

Default My JK

I thought I would start kind of a build/tech thread for my JK. I've had this thing for awhile now but today was the first time I've really got to really use it. I am shocked at the abilities these little things have.

I started making a little trail in a small patch of woods behind my house using a weed eater, a hatchet, and a machete.

The problem I have is that to get to where I can crawl a little, there's a steep little hill I have to climb to get there. It's probably about a 20ft stretch but it gets progressively steeper the farther you go. I really need more weight in the front and a little more power. I started working on that after I called it a day but more on that later.

The picture does not really do it justice but about 3/4 of the way up it's about a 60 degree incline. I never could make it to the top but hopefully after a few mods I can make it. This is about as far as I could get.

Ryno0413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #2

After my battery started getting weak I took it back inside and decided I was going to relocate the battery to the front.

Luckily I live about a 1/4 mile from a local rc store so I went and got the hardware I thought I needed. Turns out I was just a tad conservative with my measurements and both sets of screws were too short. By this time the shop was closed so that project is on hold for right now.

I then decided to go ahead and take the rear tire carrier off to take some weight off the rear.

That is where I am at right now. Next week I should be able to get the correct hardware so I can move the battery and then I will clean up the wiring and button it back up.
Old 06-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #3

So in case moving the battery is not enough, I might be on the lookout for some more power. Can this be achieved with maybe a new battery or am I looking at a different motor? I am running a 5500mah lipo right now.

I know this is a "crawler", but in my situation I might need just a touch more wheel speed. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
Old 06-28-2013, 08:55 PM   #4
Rock Stacker

Default Re: My JK

you cann change a lot in just changing the pinion .
stunter38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #5
RCC Addict

Mine is set up pretty much as a crawler to but, I just put a RC4wd Ax2 two speed tranny in mine. Crawls slower than before and 2nd gear rips it up.
Attached Images

Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:11 PM   #6
Quarry Creeper

Nice rig and crawl spot man. Good job on the super nintendo too!
GravelDuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by stunter38 View Post
you cann change a lot in just changing the pinion .
I will do more research on this. I'm sure these things are like anything in general, geared in the middle of the road, not spectacular in either way. I just do not want to lose any crawling ability.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norton View Post
Mine is set up pretty much as a crawler to but, I just put a RC4wd Ax2 two speed tranny in mine. Crawls slower than before and 2nd gear rips it up.
A two speed transmission sounds like a good option in my situation. Sounds like a fairly expensive solution also lol.
Old 06-28-2013, 09:29 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by GravelDuster View Post
Nice rig and crawl spot man. Good job on the super nintendo too!
Thanks man. Even with all the new games, it's tough to beat classic super Mario bros.

I just started on my course, but it sure does have some potential. I just need to get rid of all the roots and undergrowth and find some more rocks.
Old 06-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
RCC Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno0413 View Post
A two speed transmission sounds like a good option in my situation. Sounds like a fairly expensive solution also lol.

It is a bit pricey but well worth it. When I hit second gear it was very surprising! Basically, the tranny and a standard servo is all that is needed. The shift servo does not need to be high torque. It can even be a cheap mini if your worried about space.

After all the money I have spent setting my SCX10 up, it was a major improvement.

Depending on your gearing, you go from a very slow crawl to maybe 18 mph.

Last edited by Norton; 06-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Norton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM   #11
Pebble Pounder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno0413 View Post
So in case moving the battery is not enough, I might be on the lookout for some more power. Can this be achieved with maybe a new battery or am I looking at a different motor? I am running a 5500mah lipo right now.

I know this is a "crawler", but in my situation I might need just a touch more wheel speed. Is there an easy way to accomplish this?
I run a 35t motor in my jk with the stock gearing, if you want even more speed, install a bec and pump 11.1v through your ae-2 esc
Cortina79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 02:54 AM   #12

So it turns out that my esc does not have a drag brake. Found that out the hard way when I would let off the throttle and it just came tumbling down more than once. This is the one that my LHS had in stock.

My question is, would just a factory axial ae-2 be fine? Everything else is stock for now so I would think so. I don't really see the need for a high dollar one right now. I know down the road I will probably upgrade but my actual rock crawler comes ahead of this thing and I am in the home stretch with that thing so I need all my extra coin I can get for it.
Old 07-03-2013, 07:42 AM   #13
I wanna be Dave

I RUN A AE-2 IN MY SON`S YOTA WORKS GREAT! HAS GREAT DRAG BRAKE . GOOD LITTLE ESCPUT A BEC ON IT AND HE RUNS 5000 MAH 3S ON IT
zonkerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 01:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonkerd View Post
I RUN A AE-2 IN MY SON`S YOTA WORKS GREAT! HAS GREAT DRAG BRAKE . GOOD LITTLE ESCPUT A BEC ON IT AND HE RUNS 5000 MAH 3S ON IT
That's some good info. Thanks!

Now I just stopped by my LHS and he can get me an Axial AE-2 for 78.99. Now he has has a Tekin FX-R and 35T combo for $109.99. Would that really be worth the extra $30?
Old 07-03-2013, 01:31 PM   #15

BTW, to the guys who are taking time out to answer all my noob questions, I really appreciate it. I am still learning an awful lot with this thing.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:59 PM   #16
Quarry Creeper

I have the tekin fxr and 35t combo. Love it, would def recommend it over AE-2, i think the AE-2 sometimes has problems with 3s. The FXR can handle 3s no problem and you can program it with the 2 buttons on the front no PC links required. Plus supppper small footprint.

However I have been considering getting a Castle Sidewinder v3 because it's already waterproof.
uclabruins89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:49 PM   #17

Well I ended up just going with an AE-2 I found on eBay. Paid $50 and the ad said it has been "waterproofed" and the LiPo cut off is for sure there.

After I get this installed, I plan to just beat the snot out of the thing until something breaks. I bought this thing to run when I don't get to take my real Jeep and so far they have both been sitting tore apart for the last few weeks.